Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Dumb question, where do I get this performance restoration tool? I can't seem to find it on the website.

E: I'm dumb but here's the link for anyone else

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Quick stupid question. I'm upgrading my laptop and plan to transfer my 250 gig 840 EVO over. Unlike my old laptop it doesn't have an ultrabay slot where I can put both the hard drive and the SSD in at the same time and clone them that way. Is an enclosure like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182313&cm_re=ssd_enclosure-_-17-182-313-_-Product my best bet? I'd just reinstall windows entirely, but as it's using an OEM windows key actually getting the install media is a ludicrous hassle and I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a new windows key either.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Rexxed posted:

That will work or something like this (I've used a cheap chinese one of these guys for usb to disk stuff for 8+ years) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=usb_sata-_-12-232-002-_-Product

If you want to find install media there's windows 7 and 8 isos provided by microsoft. 8 is a little more of a pain than 7 but that seems to be what they created it for.

http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8-1-iso/

The problem lies with the OEM key though. I'd have to get one from Lenovo and they don't supply them without making you pay out the noose for it. Even if you pull the key from the BIOS with Belarc it won't work for activating windows 8. It's fine though. cloning isn't the end of the world, not even close.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

I've just built a new rig and installed an Intel 530 240GB SSD. I ran crystalmark. Could someone tell me if I'm seeing roughly what I should be seeing without any tweaking?

Rapid

:smug:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

Sorry if this has been covered recently and I just missed it, but I'm buying my first SSD and I just read the OP which seems just a smidge out of date, so I wanted to double-check.

I'm debating between a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO and a 512GB Samsung 850 EVO Pro. I can afford the latter, but if I can save some money and get just as reliable performance off of the former, I'd rather go with that.

I use my computer mostly for general internet bullshit, but I also game quite a bit and occasionally dabble in video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. Is there any significant difference between the EVO and PRO for that kind of use that I should consider, or is the 850 EVO solid enough that it'll work for me?

Also, I have a 2TB 7200RPM HDD in my machine right now. It's approaching 4 years old but there's quite a lot of data on it from games and the like. Assuming I transfer the OS and major Explorer files (and some games?) over to the SSD, would keeping it hooked up affect performance at all?

e: I should mention that I have a 3TB external HDD, so if axing the internal would increase performance I'm cool with it.

You would see next to no benefit from getting the EVO pro. The 500 Gb EVO is on sale today for $149 which is an insane deal. I bought one not two days ago for $200 after tax.

Your other hard drives won't increase or decrease performance at all and I'm not totally sure how you got that idea. Just reinstall windows to the SSD and you'll be set.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I was about to post about a problem I was having installing a SSD in my partner's T450 until I realized that I didn't actually properly plug the drive in
:downs:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

How every odd. I've never had a problem with RAPID.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Slanderer posted:

I just ordered parts for a new system, including a 250gb Samsung 850 EVO. I don't really feel like reinstalling Windows (+everything else) just right now, so I'm hoping to bring over my current HDDs and just add on the SSD. If I keep (part of) my Steam library on the SSD, should I still get all the improvements to load times in games that I would if my OS were also on the SSD?

Just clone your install over, no reinstallation needed.

The speed increase in loading times is only really really noticeable in a few games anyway like Dragon Age: Inquisition. And yes, your load times will be cut to a quarter of what they were, but the most important part of SSDs is that the OS is on them and is appropriately speedy. The rest is gravy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Slanderer posted:

Yeah, I just cancelled my 250 GB drive order and got a 500 GB instead, and I'm gonna give it a shot. I had problems last time I tried this years back with Ghost, but I guess the software and/or Windows is better now (or I made a mistake with changing the volume ID or something). I also just realized my system drive is 5 years old, so yeah it's time to swap that out.

Yeah there's no loving with uh, volume IDs or whatever. Just basically press clone, wait an hour and swapping them out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i just bought this bad boy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132415

what SSD should i get? i would like to spend under $100 if possible. yea, i can spend more, but would really, really like to avoid it. i don't need a lot of storage, and i honestly don't need insane speed. this computer's for music production. i would look into all this SATA and m.2 stuff, but i really don't know if i can ingest any more computer stuff right now. i'm just looking for simple advice at this point as my head's about to explode.

thanks in advance.

250 gig Samsung 850 EVO. Costs $100 from most major US retailers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

TheAcen posted:

What's the difference between the 840 Evo and the 850 Evo (due to the sale linked earlier for the 850)?
Or would it be better to shell out the extra cash and get the 850 pro?

First time I've seriously looked at upgrading to SSD

840 EVO has bugs, is more expensive, and is an older version of the 850 EVO.

You don't need the 850 PRO.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

redeyes posted:

The Evo line is the value bargin part. If you want solid fast performance with better consistency, get the Pro. Notice how you only hear about performance issues with the EVO line? Yep.

This is just terrible advice.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hey, so I've a problem. My laptop stopped recognizing the 500 gig Samsung 850 EVO I put into it. Even in BIOS it says there's no hard disk. Put the SSD in an external enclosure I have and connected it to my desktop and it shows up in windows explorer and disk management just fine. I'm prompted with a "Scan and Fix" but I figure that might just be because it obviously has a windows installation on it.

But when I put an older HDD back in my laptop, it boots perfectly and detects the drive. It doesn't when I put the SSD in.

tl;dr SSD not recognized in my laptop BIOS. HDD recognized in my laptop BIOS. SSD shows up in disk management and explorer when I plug it into my desktop.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be, or if there's a way to resolve it? My first inclination is to reinstall windows on the SSD, but I'm not sure how to actually do that.

E: to be clear I'm busily backing up my poo poo since the SSD shows up just fine on my desktop still

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 12, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Skandranon posted:

I'd first backup data in case it is going. Second, it may just be a matter of a loose connection and it will magically work again when you plug it back in.

ding ding ding we have a winner

I'm an idiot who didn't check that until like ten minutes ago :downs:

Just had to reseat the cable between the daughterboard and the ssd and it was fine. It's scanning the drive on the laptop now. Thanks!

E: I lied, it's still hosed up. On the other hand this means it's a problem with the laptop, not the drive. Time to call up my warranty provider again I guess.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 12, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I managed to get ahold of two working macbook SSDs that my work was just going to throw away with the broken machines, but when it came to installing them in my machine I realized that it looks like the connector doesn't uh, work with typical M.2 slots. Apparently it's a prioprietary connector? Can someone confirm that's the case?

If that's true then I'll just flip them on SA mart or ebay since they're going for like $350 for a 500 gig SSD and that's a hell of a price.

The models I have are MZ-CPA2560/0A1 and MZ-JPV512R/0A2, for reference. One's from a newer machine, ~2015, one is from an older model, I'm not sure of the exact date. I think 2010-2011.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

while i know it's no EVO, is the m.2 sandisk x400 not terrible enough to warrant including in my new laptop? It's a fair penny cheaper than the M.2 850 EVO.

• Locked thread