Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Josh Lyman posted:

The current prices are the Black Friday prices. Cyber Monday is a different matter, but it's unlikely to be more than a $10 cheaper, and my guess is they'll actually be more expensive.

The biggest question is whether the 850 Evo is worth holding out for. Signs point to a superior drive than the 840 Evo, but my understanding is that they will be priced higher than the pre-discounted 840 Evo price due to V-NAND having longer endurance and the drives themselves carrying a longer warranty.

For a 500GB OS drive that I'd hold onto for at least 3 years, I'd say yes, but who knows when they'll breach $200.

$190 for a 500gb evo and farcry 4

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE500BW/dp/B00E3W19MO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you are getting a samsung ssd then just use the samsung migration software iyou can get off their website.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Massasoit posted:

Got a 840 EVO 1tb drive from NewEgg. Anyone know if it comes with a SATA III cable or 3.5" mount? Couldn't find any info on that.

It will i believe if you bought the desktop kit which you probably didn't

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bleh Maestro posted:

Does anyone show if 840 evos bought now should ship with the firmware fix of will most likely still need to be updated upon arrival?

I would expect to update them, but its not hard.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cyber monday sales are generally worse than BF.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KingColliwog posted:

I'm considering getting two 120g Samsung evo (1 for my laptop, one for my desktop). Is 120 really too little? If so I'll just get a 240 for the desktop and skip getting one for my laptop.

Aside from windows, I play some light games and do some photoshop/lightroom.

the 240 is so cheap, Buy the 240.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SSD's are more reliable however when they fail you are probably hosed. Its like being safer in an airplane vs a car but if it crashes you are dead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jago posted:

When hard drives fail they are just as hosed. The only "good" failure involves a backup and fast replacement.

Hard drives can often have data recovered once they start failing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I am not a book posted:

How do I tell whether I've got an mSATA drive in my laptop?

Open it up or google for the answer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are on windows use Samsungs data migration tool.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Joe Man posted:

Weird thing I noticed on my 840 Evo last night. I bought the thing last year before last Black Friday, and finally installed Samsung Magician. It said I had the most up-to-date firmware.

How is that possible? Does Magician automatically update the firmware on first launch? And is there anything else I should do? I optimized it and all that and it looks totally fine at the moment. I'd like to know especially since I'm putting a 1TB in mine and a friend's soon.

Ssd firmware doesn't really get updated unless there is a problem. That being said the new firmware for evos is a utility you have to download.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

illezt posted:

The new firmware doesn't wipe your drive, right? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

No it doesnt. I ran it on my 1tb that is half full. Took an hour or so to finish

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's a mystery why Samsung did it like this, but that's how it is.

The new firmware fixes the slow old files bug, but it has to run inside a utility to fix your old data. Thats why its not in magician.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

But you should have backups of your important data anyway

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

An Msata drive and sata drive are completely different externally.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're on Windows, you still need the Samsung Magician to run after that to have Rapid mode enabled.

Magician does not have to be running for rapid BTW. You can disable it from startup

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

therealjon_ posted:

That is annoying me quite a bit. I'd assume it's not a good idea to uninstall it completely though?

It wont hurt anything, you just wont have rapid if its uninstalled.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, the current form of Magician is annoying. Prior versions allowed you to disable it from running on startup. The new version doesn't give you that option, and you have to manually close it every time.

Doesn't really bother me now though since it doesnt' prompt UAC anymore.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bleh Maestro posted:

Is it dumb to do this performance restoration tool on an empty drive? I wanted to do it first before cloning my old drive onto it and risking it getting corrupted or something.

No, because it also updates the firmware. Doesn't matter when you do it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tanbo posted:

I've never messed with AHCI, is that only an issue when cloning from a platter drive?

No. Platter drives work fine with ahci.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Run memtest 86

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yes, hook it up to a computer and run the firmware updater. Then install it to the ps4.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dont bother with that. Just have 2 drive letters.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Joe Man posted:

Quick Question: Is Samsung Magician still hosed up? I managed to set up my HTPC just fine before with the older version but I'm about to head to the grandfolk's in an hour and I still need to run both the Data Restoration & enable UEFI and all that. I'm also building a computer tonight/tomorrow for a friend so I'll need to do it for that one too.

Am I going to run into problems or has Samsung fixed their software? If not, does anyone have the previous version of Magician backed up?

Hate to break it to you but you need to reinstall to get uefi benefits.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why would you run openelec off a hard drive. Run it off a sd card or flash drive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

kimcicle posted:

What happened to the M.2 form factor? My motherboard has a slot for it, and I was thinking about buying a smaller M.2 drive to be my OS/Programs drive and offload games and whatnot to my current SSD. Poking around the web doesn't bring back many results for things I can buy today, but a bunch of review from last year saying that they are coming out "any day now."

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_9htosqtasw_b

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you are only using 60gb's why not throw some games on it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Guess im in the never had problems with my vertex 2 club?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Is there any benefit to running defrag programs on SSDs?

Windows 7 and Windows 8 both do trim instead of defrag on ssd's.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Diviance posted:

According to this, Windows 8/8.1 does perform defrag on SSD's when System Restore is enabled.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

TLDR; For this reason, supposedly...

"Additionally, there is a maximum level of fragmentation that the file system can handle. Fragmentation has long been considered as primarily a performance issue with traditional hard drives. When a disk gets fragmented, a singular file can exist in pieces in different locations on a physical drive. That physical drive then needs to seek around collecting pieces of the file and that takes extra time.

This kind of fragmentation still happens on SSDs, even though their performance characteristics are very different. The file systems metadata keeps track of fragments and can only keep track of so many. Defragmentation in cases like this is not only useful, but absolutely needed."

Well there ya go

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

No, longhorn.

WinFS worked on xp as well

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/surprise-microsoft-ships-winfs-beta-1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Install what software? Samsung Magician isn't required but lets you use caching so you should install it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Having a 1tb ssd is basically the best thing in the world.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Try running in compat mode?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Samsung provides cloning software.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Right now I have a Samsung 840 Pro with 256GB on a SATA 6Gbit port. I'm planning a new build and was considering to go with the new 950 Pro M.2. While read/write throughput is way higher, is it that noticeable practically (essentially games and some occasional app compiling)?

No, unless you need more space id hold onto your 256gb. m.2 prices will probably nosedive as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

850 evo does have fw updates

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The 840 firmware bug mentioned in the OP has been fixed, correct? Somebody in SA-Mart is selling 256G Samsung 840s for $65 shipped each.

If its a 256gb its a pro and doesn't have the bug to begin with.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Can you run it in a VM? Would make backup way easier also.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You could throw in "hey do you want the most baller m.2 ssd with no warranty, Samsung SM961"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you dont mind slower writes....

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Intel-Revises-All-SSD-Product-Lines-3D-NAND-Everywhere

New intel 600p m.2 1tb drive will be $360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

intel 600p up on newegg. $189 for 512gb nvme

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=600p&N=-1&isNodeId=1

• Locked thread