Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I didn't see an HDD thread so I thought I'd ask here: how is performance on the various hybrid HDDs compared to an SSD? I need room for my Steam library and was hoping I could use something less expensive than a Samsung EVO SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I remember when 4TB required an entire stack in the data center. :corsair:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Get a Samsung 850 EVO.

This should probably just be the thread title at this point.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

td4guy posted:

That, my friend, is our glorious PCIe NVMe SSD future. No legacy SATA and AHCI holding us back.

You can load a lot of Skyrim textures with that speed...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I remember reading, perhaps a few hundred pages ago in this thread that one guy playing an MMO on his new Intel PCIe SSD got contacted by a GM because he was showing as an anomaly on their player tracker.

This is amazing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

priznat posted:

Seagate with a 60TB SAS SSD in 3.5" form factor:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/09/flashy_seagate_demonstrates_monster_60tb_ssd/

Also the quad m.2 nvme to single x16 slot is interesting. Apparently they don't use a PLX switch so I have to wonder if the motherboard slot has to support x4x4x4x4 bifurcation.

Finally, enough room for Skyrim mods and Fallout mods.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Would most laptop users notice a performance difference between that X400 and an EVO (normal, not PRO)? The price difference is pretty substantial.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The controller is unquestionably better. Endurance is up in the air, but the warrantied TBW of the x400 is actually over twice that of the equivalent Extreme Pro SKU (1TB 320 TBW vs 960GB 144) and if you're just using it as a games drive you won't hit anywhere near a tenth of it.

Nope. Hell, most laptop users won't notice a performance difference between the 840 Evo and the 850 Evo. At that performance level you'd have to be desperately searching for the gains since it's within the point of diminishing returns for "regular" use.

Thanks. I'm considering getting an MSI GS43VR (their new 14" laptop with an nVidia 1060), and swapping the default 128GB M.2 with a larger SSD.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure you know this already - but keep in mind that that M.2 slot is PCIe-linked, so you'll want to go with at least the 600p if you want 1TB. You made me curious enough to look up the laptop's information, since my father's been angling for a new game-capable laptop, and a 1060M would more than suit him for something like the next five years.

I didn't know that. What is 600p? Sorry if the question is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, it does bear mentioning that the 600p has a warranty of 5y or 72 TB Written (TBW) over the entire product line (120GB-1TB). To put that into perspective, the 850 EVOs are warrantied for 75 TBW for the 120 & 250GB models, 150 TBW for the 500GB & 1TB models, and 300TBW for the 2 & 4TB models, with 5y on all SKUs.

It makes me want to wait for the 960 EVO, to be frank, which might launch sooner rather than later thanks to these.

Also - I still wouldn't use one for anything other than a Steam drive, but this is good news for anyone wanting a cheaper 2TB EVO: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/crucial-mx300-2tb-ssd-price,32568.html

I have a 4-year old Crucial 480GB drive that I have no complaint about, so something like this would be great. Then again, I've never experienced the magic of an EVO booting Windows instantly. Like some caveman from the early 00's, I still have to wait a few seconds for the login prompt.

• Locked thread