Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Hmm, I'm pretty out of date on encryption apparently. I lost faith in drive encryption after being able to defeat it with some free russian tools and an old computer (which is no longer being supported now though, but its still quite disheartening). But I had no clue about the Truecrypt thing.

I don't actually need it, or even want to use it, but it's always been an appealing concept just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Alereon posted:

While not exactly what you're looking for, Intel did an internal audit of their drives that found that only 128bits of the 256bit AES key were used, which resulted in a drive recall since they promised AES256 and only delivered AES128.
You're talking about on HDDs, right? The difference is that the ATA password set on the hard drive doesn't actually encrypt anything, it's just saved on the drive and the firmware checks to see if you supplied a matching password (or supervisor password) in order to communicate with the system. If you can bypass this check or replace the password all the data is there for the taking. On a Sandforce SSD for example, data is ALWAYS encrypted with a default key as part of the scrambling and error correction steps. When you set an ATA password, it generates a new key based on your password and uses this to encrypt data, so even if someone is able to pass the password check they can only get to encrypted data.

That would make more sense if it weren't encrypted. The last one I remember had a screen like this

I just assumed it was an encrypted drive, but I guess it was probably just a password.

• Locked thread