Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm thinking of getting a SM951, some time or during when I get an H97 board to replace my current B85. Should I wait for a retail box release for better warranties case it goes pghbhlbplhlltt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smoking_Dragon posted:

What's the difference between a Samsung 850 EVO and Samsung 850 Pro?

Also, is it better to get two 1TB 850's or just one 2TB 850?
EVO is TLC, Pro is MLC, so you're looking at much higher write endurance. Generally not an issue in most cases unless you're buying them for a server farm.

Also, two 1TBs are cheaper than one 2TB right now, the only reason to get the latter is to get a sick drive upgrade for your laptop that only has one drive slot

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What's the difference between Intel's 530 and 535 lines?
535 is 16nm 2LC, 530 is 20nm 2LC

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Furism posted:

How can I tell if a SSD is MLC (as in "double") or TLC ? As I understand, vendors could put on a datasheet that their drive is "MLC" because technically TLC is MLC.
Reviews, they often detail the type of NAND flash they use.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DARPA Dad posted:

Is the Crucial MX100 really that bad? I had to get my PC repaired and the guy is putting in an SSD to use as a boot drive, with the mechanical 1TB I was already using as a media/storage drive. This will be my first SSD and he's putting it in free of charge. Is it worth the price of free?
If you're getting it for free I don't see why not.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DARPA Dad posted:

Is it something I should replace ASAP though once I got a bit more spare cash?
For power loss reasons, I'd replace it eventually. Out of Crucial drives, I'd rather have a BX100/MX200 because they fixed the "power loss protection" that doesn't actually work on the MX100 there, but if you have the dosh I'd suggest replacing it with a Sandisk Extreme Pro or Samsung 850 (Evo/Pro) because you'll have an easier time replacing those if they go fart and die, even with the premium on the Pro drives.

If you're some paranoid guy like me who saves images of their disks on loose hard drives regularly though I would ride it until its end of life :v:

The real shitter with non-Big Three drives is that you don't get the warranty honoring that Intel, Samsung, and Sandisk is reputable for and it's largely hit or miss whether you'd get a decent RMA.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 31, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DARPA Dad posted:

Okay, I'll pick up an 850 Evo or whatever the new hotness is at some point. For now, I'll still see a significant upgrade over my old 4-year old mechanical, right?
Obviously. The performance differences between most modern SSDs are largely overstated and you really just want features and warranty at this point

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DARPA Dad posted:

I was wrong. He actually put in a Crucial BX100. How does that one stack up?
It's on par with Sandisk's budget SSD Plus series. It's still going to be way faster than a hard drive.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skandranon posted:

Reuse as NAS type devices, but I get that's not their intended market. What I don't get what market does need more than 6 SATA devices but finds a crap controller acceptable.
You kind of don't need maximum throughput for large amounts of hard drives individually. That probably might be an issue if you're using all Velociraptors, but nobody actually does that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Has the 1TB Evo ever gone on sale? Turns out that win10 won't let me roll back to 8.1 and it's pissing me off, so I need to get a different drive. My Intel 480gb is almost full anyway.
It randomly goes on sale for $333 on Amazon every 6-7 weeks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Do you plan on keeping the drive for more than 5 years? If so, the Pro is a good idea if only for the warranty (Samsung and Sandisk actually honor RMAs while everyone else is spotty at best.)

You might as well go with the EVO if you make/get a new build every 3 years though. Even if you record 2560x1440 directly on it to record your Sick Kills you're well within the 5 year warranty.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Then the question becomes what HDD... I'm thinking about just getting an external but people keep saying that WD MyBooks are bad because they all use WD Green drives but no one actually tells me what else to get.
Buy an enclosure and an internal 2.5" drive. External drives are made of way lower quality parts that break under any semblance of more-than-infrequent usage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Any enclosure you'd recommend? I'm thinking of a 4TB but I'm only seeing 3.5inch ones. Since I'm replacing a 4TB, I was thinking of just getting the same amount of storage again.
If you mean a 3.5, then I'd suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042 because 3.5" drives run hot.

I suggest using open toaster decks like this though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707170

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would StarTech be a decent brand for the toaster deck? I'm looking around for a USB 3.0 enclosure instead since that's the only port I have open.
As long as it isn't from some no-name brand it'd be fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wait, does he move every platter drive around a lot? That possibility hasn't entered my mind because I just assumed people don't do that :psyduck:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I would sooner put those in a PC, but using them as sequential scratch disks or ways of transferring terabytes over from computer to computer isn't really bad (which are incidentally the same uses you have for external platter drives)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

Is the 850 EVO a poor choice for Macs? The OP doesn't mention it in the present tense.

No, and the OP is horribly outdated, which is a problem most OPs in this forum have.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Toshiba's TLC nand isn't bad, it's practically the same stuff as Sandisk's.

Their controllers are pretty drat slow though. At least they don't commit ritual suicide when the controller circuitry ages.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It's much smaller than the 750, but it heats up like a motherfucker (75c temperature, can't be good for flash chips at all) which is probably why the form factor is what it is for the 750.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Maybe the controller won't fry itself this time

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What size process is this V-NAND going to be on?
950 series will use 32nm 48-layer V-Nand if the recent news regarding the third generation VNAND is correct.
Whoops apparently it really is only using the 2nd generation VNAND. It's 32nm/32-layer though.

quote:

Was this a thing with the SM951, or something else? I'm having stick-on copper heatsink nightmares already.
Yep. It's part of why OEMs placing them in laptops only have them run in PCIe 2.0 mode, negating the speed advantage it has over the XP941.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 22, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

If you're not running an intensive server, no.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rashomon posted:

If I wanted to upgrade from my current OS/games SSD to a larger, 500GB SSD, is there an easy way to do that without reinstalling the OS and all the software?
Todo Backup is the current option for as long as Samsung's own software sucks too badly to work with Windows 10

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cloud the Cat posted:

I just bought a SATA HDD caddy for my ASUS G550JK (the kind that replaces the CD Drive). I am planning on putting a Samsung 850 PRO into it, will it run slower through the Caddy or does it not matter?
I could probably place the older HDD into the caddy and put the new SSD in the original spot if it'll be slower I guess?
No.

SATA data all uses the same 7pin connector.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

Just hard drives with heatsinks makes me chuckle.
Before the advent of mass-produced SSDs, really hot 10-15k RPM "fat notebook" drives with heatsink shields were fairly common in datacenters. So it's not like it doesn't have a precedent, considering how much more worse heat is for SSD internals.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

r0ck0 posted:

I bought a samsung 840evo based on the recommendations in this thread, whos to blame?

the person who didn't update the OP

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

Its actually the controller that gets hot but yeah this is why I mentioned the Intel 750 with the gigantic heatsink earlier in the thread. The m.2 form factor is going to be a bit hard to cool but i'm sure its fixable.
M.2 drives that use SATA3 on the other hand don't go above 45c.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skandranon posted:

Problem is, Samsung is hammering at the price point AND maintaining excellent quality. Why bother giving Toshiba/OCZ a chance now? Pay a few bucks more and get one of the best in class consumer drives.
If you're making a cheap box that "just works" and aren't really interested in taxing it, you can go for one of those.

Unfortunately that's the only way I'd actually recommend these drives. There's really nothing better than the Samsung 850 EVO/periodic Sandisk Extreme Pro-on-sale in terms of performance and value these days.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Meldonox posted:

I'm looking at pcpartpicker and it looks like I could pick up this 500GB 850 EVO for around $160, while everything comparable, 840 EVO/Pro or 850 Pro, is $70 more. Am I missing some big dealbreaking flaw here?
840 evos are marked up due to seller fleecing, 850 Pros are MLC and withstand up to 6000 writes/cell but you don't need anywhere near that many for a home drive especially with Samsung's controllers. (850 EVO has 1900 writes/cell.)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GrizzlyCow posted:

I didn't notice this before, but Crucial has released their new BX200. The BX200 is worse than BX100, MX100, MX200, and any other value drive.

Why would you waste money on this? Just spend :10bux: more on an okay drive.
Micron's TLC is loving awful so this is no big surprise. Them retiring the BX100 for this is :laffo: as gently caress though

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 8, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I have acquired either a SanDisk Z400s SSD or x300 (most likely the former) anyway I can't find jack poo poo on the Z400 except that it's a mainstream drive. Do you guys know anything about it? Is it usable? The same question goes for the x300.
z400s is a sandisk (stupid autocorrect) bargain bin drive for people who want to make $200 computers, don't expect miracles out of the performance but it won't be anywhere near as bad as say, a BX200

the x300 is a TLC drive before sandisk had a handle on TLC. expect bad.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

would be a great price if the evo were $170 instead of $140, and it's worth paying 30 more dollars for warranty and sundries

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Enourmo posted:

So am I right that the only difference between the Evo and Pro is write durability, and that the Pro is probably not worth the cost for a typical home user?

E: Also what's the deal with the various form factors?
1) Correct.

2) There's 2.5", mSATA, and M.2, the latter two are just printed circuit boards with flash controllers and chips. Don't worry about the latter two unless you are making specialty tinypcs.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

no, just the durability caveat of going from 20nm to 16nm which isn't going to matter for you unless you use it for torrents and stuff

at those prices though i'd get the 240s

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

did someone ask for cheap lovely 5.25" enclosures?!?!?!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4TZ32H6352 just 23 dollars at time of post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4TZ2SP3773 here's one directly from newegg and black for $25

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 4, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

for transfer rate it's roughly half the speed as a modern ssd that's not a BX200 but keep in mind you're cutting things that take on the order of 4 seconds by about a third so it's really only significant if you do hundreds of things that take that long in disk i/o

for a PC you do actual work/game stuff on I'd still replace it though, controllers are the main point of failure and samsung's and current generation sandforces are much better these days

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yes, you don't get any real speed benefit out of a setup like that except loading cs: go maps in 5 seconds instead of 8, whoopty poo poo

just migrate the OS install using macrium reflect free or easeus todo (optimize for ssd option when available)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 12, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rookoo posted:

I'd have assumed that two different drives in the mix would naturally slow stuff down even if they both were SSDs, but to be honest there's plenty of reasons to have everything on a more recent drive anyway, especially if cloning is fairly easy, cheers.
i read it a bit wrong but generally you want everything you want in the faster/bigger SSD just for performance reasons, older SSD would still be okay for aux storage

and the EVO will definitely have more endurance than whatever drive you had, at least on the controller since it has one of the best consumer controllers (those are the biggest points of failure, drive failure by flash cell decay almost never happens outside of enterprise these days)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 12, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:spergin: you get a nearly linear increase in throughput but lose IOPs which are the more important metric for day to day SSD speed

not an issue if the drives are independent but you want most things on the newer drive anyhow and it's not difficult to mirror the image

my answer would have been different if he hadn't bought it yet, because once you get an SSD you get more marginal performance increases by switching SSDs. but since he already got it, why not. plus the controller will be better

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Even a shitbin $40 120gb z400s or SSD Plus will be miles faster than any platter drive.

You use platter drives for storing movies, sick mlg pro headshots, 10 year old schoolwork etc, not anything you'd want to use often.

• Locked thread