Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

exquisite tea posted:

Should I enable RAPID on my SSD if it's just got one 8 GB stick of RAM in there and I do most of my gaming on that drive?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

With RAPID enabled its more of a memory benchmark than a SSD benchmark.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I wouldn't worry too much about the issue. Firmware fix will resolve it. And its not just the reviews in this thread. Have you seen the reviews on Amazon? The evo is the highest, most rated SSD.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ignoranus posted:

So, uh, I updated the BIOS, installed Windows, ran Windows Update a million times, started getting everything rolling again. Remembered to install Magician from the OP and it tells me AHCI isn't enabled. I thought for sure that I did it, but maybe I did it before updating my BIOS? So... that could be a problem.

I tried turning it on in the BIOS settings but that just makes Windows (7) bluescreen when it tries to start. Changing it back to IDE mode made it start working normally again.

Am I just doomed to reinstall Windows again? :negative:

No, just follow the instructions in this KB:

Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive
http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/922976

quote:

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ignoranus posted:

gently caress it, I'll just reinstall. I've got my laptop and phone to still use the internet and stuff on, it's just frustrating when I've finally gotten it working again.

EDIT: I reply and already a new answer has appeared. gently caress, you guys are good.
edit, uh huh

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Go ahead and change both to 0. Report back if it works.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ignoranus posted:

Worked like a charm, thanks so much!. I feel extra sheepish because I went to Wikipedia out of curiosity about what AHCI is and it literally mentions this specific issue in the Wiki article.

Cool, glad it worked.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Nahrix posted:

The only sure-fire way to store your data over the next several million years is to upload it to Google cloud.

I just hired a skywriter to write my data in the clouds.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Jose Cuervo posted:

I just got a new computer (Dell T7610) at work that has a 256GB SSD and a 2TB regular hard drive and 64GB of RAM. The computer came with Windows7 professional preinstalled on the SSD. When I opened Windows explorer and navigated to the computer, it shows that the regular hard drive has 1.81TB of free space (which I learnt is normal). However it shows the SSD as having 98.6GB free space of 226GB. I understand the 226GB number comes from the way harddrive and RAM manufacturers advertise differently, but what I cannot understand is how I only have 98.6GB left. I don't believe that installation of the OS uses 127.4GB (online searching seems to say that between 20 and 30GB is normal).

Any ideas on what may be taking up this space?

Take a look here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How sure are we that the firmware is going to be released tomorrow? Any updates, test reports?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

quote:

10)PC will be shut down automatically after firmware update(Performance Restoration counts down 20 seconds before shutdown)

Does this mean if I do this update remotely and do not have a way to turn the PC back on it will stay off?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yes. It shuts down, not restarts (doing it now)

Well ain't that some bullshit. I just did it and now I have to wait till I get home tonight to continue.

edit. Now is the first time I wish I had WOL setup. I should have setup WOL first, its too early for this poo poo.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 15, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nielsm posted:

What's the verdict on the fix/update? Is it risky wrt. potential data loss?
Would the option for making a full drive backup, preferably to some sort of image file on a spare drive, before attempting to apply the patch, again be Macrium Reflect?

I just ran the update on a 250 and 500. It worked fine, no problems besides shutting the computer down after the firmware update.

edit: shutting the computer down is a normal step, it just annoyed me.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I wonder how this new firmware is going to effect the life of the SSD. Those tests that showed it took almost a petabyte of writes before failure, whos going to do that with the new firmware?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BitterAvatar posted:

Because that means I need to jam my hand into the case to plug in an additional SATA cable and I am lazy.

Use a USB to SATA adapter.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Yep, I haven't had any problems either.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Wouldn't they just need one *nix version to cover both linux and mac? What does DOS have to do with linux and mac anyway?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Generic Hero posted:

For the *nix users out there, I wonder if using the win2usb program to make a live USB boot able windows install can run the firmware updater. Though the catch 22 there is needing a windows install to run win2usb...

Won't work since the tool only reads NTFS partitions currently.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bob Morales posted:

The smaller cable is SATA the larger one is power.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Nice

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

benzine posted:

Force series.

Force series revision 1 or 2?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

benzine posted:

I guess the latest from Corsair.

Corsair force rev 2, sata or msata?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

benzine posted:

r0ck0, the LS 240 GB sata version. And in general are they a good brand, didn't saw them in the OP.

No idea I only use the samsung evo.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Run trim check to see if TRIM is working.

http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Naffer posted:

Trimcheck says trim works fine on my ide mode drive, but whether it can accurately determine that seems kind of questionable.

Whats questionable? It says it works. I have used it on a system where trim wasn't working, I installed the correct drivers, tested again and it said trim was working. I think its a pretty reliable test.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/trimcheck-does-your-ssd-really-have-trim-working/

https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Ugh, that really sucks. I'm gonna need some proof this works before installing it. Thanks samsung

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Well good news, I updated my samsung evo software using the built in update and it worked fine. Rebooted twice with no problems. Rapid is still enabled.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

blk96gt posted:

Going to head to Frys in a bit to pick up a SSD.

Remember your best buys are always at Frys.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Jago posted:

Come on guys... I know most of the downsides of spanning drives (that's the word windows uses), but I'm not concerned about doubling my failure rate. I just want to know if I keep all my drive commands if I do this.

I know how to use sym links and what not, and there is no chaos if the drive dies, I am properly backed up and have devices to cover for any missing SSD capacity.

Not sure I understand what you are asking. You could look into storage spaces if you're running windows 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/storage-spaces-pools

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Megasabin posted:

If I have Windows 7 how would I regularly run TRIM on my drives then?

Trim should run all the time, you shouldn't need to run it manually. You can check to see if trim is working using this tool.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5203/trim-check-overview-of-an-essential-ssd-trim-functionality-tester/index.html

source page:
https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

compiled exe:
http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Or you know you could just plug the C: drive into the first SATA port like you're supposed to.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thermopyle posted:

Figuring out which port is the "first" SATA port seems way harder than just unplugging a couple of other drives. Particularly if you have a small case.

If only there was a book with a picture that showed which is the first port. Oh well better just unplug everything.

not mod sass

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
You could also fix the bootloader, its not hard.

http://www.techspot.com/guides/630-windows-8-boot-fix/

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skandranon posted:

It's fast alright. Haven't yet had a chance to do some actual speed tests, but was able to straight up write data faster than my Samsung 840 could read it. It can be picky about motherboards though. I have an Asus Maximus VII Hero, and it wouldn't work in the 2nd red PCI-E slot, had to use the 3rd black one, which is supposed to only work in Gen2.0 mode, and not get the most speed. Will have to tinker some more later with it. So far just using it as a large drive, but plant to eventually put Windows 10 on it and boot from it as well.

Not sure if this applies, but did you have to update to the latest BIOS for the hero to support NVMe drives?
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm going to be in the minority here, but I shut my home desktop off when I'm at work and asleep, saving about 16 hours a day on electricity. Plus in the summer it keeps things a little cooler, the system can be a bit of a space heater for the bedroom.

Ya, I've heard about you. They named the last polar bear after you.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How does samsung rapid and windows 10 get along? doing the inplace upgrade any problem, should I disable rapid first?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

DARPA Dad posted:

A professional/friend

How much do you pay this friend and are they hiring and/or available for purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I bought a samsung 840evo based on the recommendations in this thread, whos to blame?

• Locked thread