Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Please add this to the OP, along with a screenshot of Crystal Disk Info's statistics for the Samsung 840 1TB, so we all have a benchmark to compare against over the next 500+ pages(!)

e: :effort:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wasn't TrueCrypt compromised and/or Officially Abandoned by the developers?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sure, but if you use hardware encryption provided by the SSD, now you're vulnerable to attack by the Korean NSA :tinfoil::hf::downs:

My bitcoin :negative:

I may have recently completed a stanford cryptography course

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GrizzlyCow posted:

OCZ new stuff doesn't seem so bad at the moment.

It's not difficult to improve on a track record like theirs. For OCZ to have a worse reputation they'd have to try and invade Ukraine and Palestine simultaneously.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My Intel motherboard has a mini-PCIe slot with mSATA support. I use this machine as a home VM lab (i.e. "prosumer server"). In particular this is a Hyper-V VM, not VMWare. I'm looking at moving my VM images to SSD for a performance boost, and backing up nightly to an external rotational drive. The VMs take up about an average of 60GB over the last year, and I am not expecting that number to go above 120GB for more than 3 months at a time.

A) will this improve performance? Right now the VMs live on the same 500gb WD Blue drive that the Hyper-V server resides on
B) VMs probably have a different usage pattern, offloading RAM to disk etc; how many years should I expect of hands-free operation? > 5 ?

This is the drive I am looking at right now

$140 - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-MTE250BW mSATA 250GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147316&cm_re=msata-_-20-147-316-_-Product&RandomID=7539576187420220140829195805

$160 shipped + 8.25% tax is about as much as I'm willing to spend, the closer to $100 the better though.

I'm not really interested in a traditional format 2.5/3.5" SSD as the motherboard has 5 physical SATA3 ports and the sixth one is burnt up on this stupid hybrid slot; of those five I have one used for the system drive and the other four are reserved for affordable redundant storage.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 30, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has a PCIe SSD faceoff between the Samsung XP941 and OCZ RevoDrive 350. Huge takeaway: There are known drive-killing firmware bugs with the Samsung XP941, do not buy it.

Can these PCIe types of drives be assigned to a Windows Storage Pool? I only have 5 SATA ports on my motherboard but six PCIe slots and when the price goes down below $200 for a 1TB drive I will probably be purchasing two of them. (edit: as long as they are not OCZ branded)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/yungchou/archive/2012/08/31/windows-server-2012-storage-virtualization-explained.aspx

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 7, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you just trying to keep it from rattling around? See if you have any zip ties laying around. Else one of your buddies probably has an old jar full of screws you can borrow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ebay seems to be flooded with these used Samsung 16GB drives for $20 or less (here's one for $9 shipped); are these Chromebook drives that failed mfg inspection or what? The only info I can find on them is that they're probably 2009 era technology (thar be dragons) and probably are about 100 MB/s transfer rate. I'm thinking about buying two for an mirrored SSD cache for my file server. That would give me somewhere between 4 and 12GB of 200 MB/s read/write cache depending on how worn out they are.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well the alternative is buying two brand new samsung 840s @ $100+ ea for read/write cache duty, which at home may exceed 8GB a handful of times in a year. My platform (windows server) won't let me setup a single drive as a cache, they have to be a minimum of a mirrored drive for it to work. $20 vs $200 is ok. I will just bring a sandwhich for lunch on Mon-Wed this week.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alibaba has their own "Black Friday" on 11/11 or something like that and they're all the rage in ecommerce right now due to their IPO and everyone in ecommerce is trying to post new numbers for "sale-vember" or whatever the term will become known as

Whatever crazy prices we see in November, will become the norm starting next spring anyways.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

A good SSD (like the 840 EVO) is significantly more reliable than a regular hard drive.

Can you link to a source on this please?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Hardware.fr posts return rates every year for a range of components to French retailers. In their 2014 posting, Samsung SSDs had a return rate of 0.24%. Comparing this to even the best hard drive manufacturer, Seagate at 0.69%, there is a pretty large difference. Other hard drive manufacturers fare even worse, 1%+.

There are likely other sources too that someone else can link.

Ok, so infant mortality on new SSD drives is lower, but I guess when I hear "significantly more reliable", I am thinking greater than 90 days which is beyond the retail return period and venturing beyond the " infant mortality "phase.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, don't bother with One Weird Formatting Trick, format 100% and just keep an eye on free space, it'll work fine.

New thread title,

SSD Megathread - Housewife discovers One Weird Formatting Trick, makes over $1200 a day from home

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you just want a tiny XBMC drive you could go with the comdedy option of a CF card and a SATA adapter ($12)

Ebay has tons of part-out 16GB SSDs for about $15 each shipped that probably came out of old netbooks. I bought two to experiment with a mirrored SSD drive pool in windows 8.1 and use it to launch steam games etc, it hasn't died (yet). They have read/write performance of about 100mb/s. The drive might not be super reliable over 5+ years but for $15 shipped it's a pretty good option for what you need it to do, especially if it's just to hold the OS of a device that streams all it's media over the network and data loss isn't critical.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Sol...=item5b096ea294

Newegg had an 850 evo, 240gb for $139 a couple days ago which points to an amazing 2015 in SSD prices/technology

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bad news for you audio lovers, Kingston SSDs provide tinny sounding audio!

lulz posted:

As it turned out, it was possibly the best sounding source yet. It could sustain pace and drive, and gave body and richness to music where the Kingston SSD, for example, had been heard as limpid and lightweight. Maybe higher frequencies still weren't as insightful as direct CD playback at its best, but the sound had a relaxed quality that this listener has found quite enticing enough to plan a migration of all music onto it — pending a test of other NAS combinations!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's 13 results on the first page of Newegg for "m.2", randing from $49 for a 64GB kingston module up to $450 for a $512GB samsung module, what exactly are you looking for? I think M.2 is largely just a different formfactor for msata, which is largely just another formfactof for mPCI-e, you just buy what form you need and plug it in to your laptop/pc.

Smaller/cheaper laptops skipped the whole m.2, msata revolution by just soldering on 4GB eMMC modules directly to the motherboard to avoid the cost of the mechanical attachment point + having a human install them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Newegg has the Evo 850 250GB (MZ-75E250B/AM) for $132.99 shipped is this the thing where Samsung is trying to push out competition from the market by flooding the market with cheap RAM drives? That's what almost 50 cents a GB? 52.8 cents?

250GB rotational drives were $60 new this time last year, $49 refurbished, I am seeing them new for $45 this year and $25 refurb.

Does Western Digital even make an SSD? Or have they accepted a long and slow death? Newegg had a 5TB external drive last week for $125 which is crazy cheap but by next year it's going to be hard to even think about a large capacity rotational drive when Samsung is offering a 10 year warranty on their consumer drives and they're 6x faster.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 10, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

OCZ today made

gently caress OCZ forever. If I have the option of buying a "new and improved" Yugo for $12,500 or a Toyota Corolla for $12,995, I'm just going to buy the Toyota. I know it will not randomly explode while going down the highway at 70mph and I won't have to pay someone to tow it away when I'm done with it.

Toshiba bought a toxic brand they can suck it up. I don't understand the concept of buying a brand that will do harm to your sales instead of leaning on the Toshiba brand. Even going with the Desk Star (google "death star hard drive") brand is a better option at this point than reviving the zombie corpse that is OCZ.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I understand that they bought a toxic asset with the intention of pushing the reset button on the bad PR counter, I'm saying I disagree with the whole plan.

OCZ was due for a Shinola style brand revival in about 2060, maybe as some sort of brand brain implant brand, not an Ebola-stricken zombie brand with one foot in the grave, revived for one last lap around the CES showroom floor.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

What's the best SSD to use in an old Dell nettop with a Penryn Core 2 Duo T8100? A friend is looking to extend the life of one, but she'd prefer to buy a drive that would remain useful outside of that machine.

Post the service tag ID so we know what bus we're dealing with. A quick google shows that the Dell Mini 9 used some goofy proprietary pcie-ide drive so who knows what that thing uses without more info.

If it's a standard 7mm SATA drive you can go as modern as a 500GB Evo 850, although you might not be able to address the whole drive :iiam:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Was the 2 petabyte test done on the 840 or 850

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is anyone doing the 2PB challenge on the 850 series yet?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 840 uses a completely different storage architecture that causes the problem, right? Some sort of dual layer NAND that has a specific problem, which doesn't occur in single and 3+ layer NAND? I forget the specifics but it boiled down to "this problem is unique to the 840 series drives due to physical differences" according to Samsung.

Edit: for clarity (further down this will make sense thanks to the guy who posted the explination,) the 840 EVO uses standard TLC, the 840 PRO uses MLC which doesn't have this bug; the 850 EVO and 850 PRO do not use standard TLC

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

The 840 series use plain ol' regular planar NAND as far as I know.

Ugh, googling reveals,

random google result posted:

In case of the 840 EVO, there was an error in the algorithm that resulted in an aggressive read-retry process when reading old data. With TLC NAND more sophisticated NAND management is needed due to the closer distribution of the voltage states. At the same time the wear-leveling algorithms need to be as efficient as possible (i.e. write as little as possible to save P/E cycles), so that's why the bug only exists on the 840 and 840 EVO.

Third paragraph from the bottom

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

edit: vvv What this guy said, he actually knows what he's talking about

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread