Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

can you strap a bootloader to a different drive to boot into win7, or will it just not work without win8? Assuming of course the mobo is compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Samsung 830 which has been running @ >95% full for the past year or two.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Did you pickup the board when P67 launched? The initial revision had issues with the SATA controller (it ate itself).

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 23, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm hoping that the 750's prices will drop to match the 950 pro, or be more competitive with it, since I'd prefer intel and the PCI formfactor, but that's admittedly very unlikely to happen.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'd be happy with it being the same price as the Samsung even with the size difference, because I want to use it as a scratch drive for files that I need really fast random access to which don't fit in RAM, and the boost via NVM would be amazing for that.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Bricked OCZ drives make great coasters...

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I had an old 20MB full height drive 20 or 25 years ago, from when the school got a bunch of scrap PCs from a local company and let a couple of us build Frankenstein PCs. I really wish I had kept that drive. (I want to put it next to my 64GB micro SD cards)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I thought red's weren't meant for raid 5 use, just meant for always on configurations, and there was yet another drive type for the error handling shenanigans (RE4)?

Ika fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 22, 2015

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm having some major issues getting Windows 7 installed on my new Samsung 850 Evo.

I've plugged it into one of the two SATA3 ports on my GZ-Z77-D3H motherboard, and set the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS settings. When Windows 7 reboots after completing the first part of the installation process I get a BSOD. I've tried different install media. Disabling AHCI for the SATA3 ports works fine and Windows installs successfully, but this obviously isn't acceptable and re-enabling AHCI causes Windows to BSOD on boot.

This all worked fine with a standard HDD on the same SATA port with the same settings and the same version of Windows installed from the same install media. I don't believe it's getting installed in EFI mode as most of the BIOS settings are "legacy". Changing these to UFI makes it not boot from any media at all and I haven't had it set up like that in the past. Is there anything else I have missed here? Only posting here since it's specific to the SSD. Are there known incompatibilities with SATA3 on the Intel 7 series chipsets with SSDs?

There is a registry key you can set to force windows to reload the AHCI driver, before toggling the setting in the BIOS. This might help here, but it sounds like something else weird is going on if the HDD worked fine.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Isn't the intel P3600 SSD series pretty highend and significantly better than their 750? The specs look better for everything except write IOPs. I'm asking because Amazon.de currently has the 800 gig model for 365 euros for whatever reason, presumably some sort of error, and it looks quite tempting.

E: For an idea of EU prices, the 850 pro 1TB is more expensive.

Ika fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 4, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

priznat posted:

That seems like a super deal for a p3600, they are the enterprise drives vs the 750 "prosumer". Slot version I'm guessing? That'd be a fantastic game drive, might want to check if your motherboard can boot from PCIe slots if you want to use it as an OS drive.

I always wanted to get the 500gb samsung 950 drive or the 400gb 750 intel one someday, but never could justify the cost for the minimal upgrade. Now I can get twice the capacity for the same price, and the price is not much higher than high end SATA SSDs, so I've run out of excuses.

I'm gonna order it and see if it gets canceled. Its PCIe 4x.I have a 4790 and z97 board which has a sata express and a M.2 NVM slot, so I should be fine for booting.

I'm guessing I can put it into a PCIe x16 slot and just use the first 4 lanes? Or do I need a real x4 slot?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Perfect. Wasn't sure if cutting down PCI lanes worked both ways. One last question: will it allocate the first 8 lanes of each slot if I split the 16 lanes across two slots?

I don't think cutting down my 6970 to x8 will make much of a difference, and once I upgrade to a 1070 or whatever AMD brings out I should still be fine.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 4, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I got my intel P3600 SSD, updated my BIOS to one that supports NVMe SSDs, but the system won't post when I put it in the second x16 slot. I can't think of anything I'm forgetting to do, any ideas?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

redeyes posted:

I have my Intel 750 in the 2nd x16 slot on my Asus z170 based mobo. Works fine. Which mobo do you have?

I have Z97-A board. Its listed on an asus page on NVMe compatible boards, and one of the BIOS changes was 'Add support for NVM'.

If I can't figure anything out I'll have it tested at work, but I can't imagine it being DOA.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean replace the video card with the SSD, instead of using the second or third PCIe slot together with the video card?

Right now I have one monitor connected to the onboard video and one connected to my normal video card.

E: Gonna plug it in again in a minute and check the status LEDs on the card, I found a table documenting them.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 4, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Doesn't work any better if I remove the video card. I suspect its something with negotiating link speed, but I can't find an option to configure x8 / x8 mode manually.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

redeyes posted:

Is it possible the card itself is misaligned in the x16 slot? Worth a check anyhow.

Can't have been, the PCI bracket was aligned with the case correctly, and the card is keyed.

In good news: The SSD works, and runs fine in my office PC (X99).
In bad news: The SSD works.... so it has to be my motherboard / BIOS

E: I found something else

quote:

All current ASUS graphics cards both AMD and NVIDIA fully support GOP VBIOS previous. Should you have a GTX 600 series GPU or AMD 7000 series GPU you will need to update the VBIOS to be compliant
I have a 6970, so I may have to do that, but it still didn't POST with the GPU removed so I doubt it.

Ika fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 5, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Since I haven't even get mine to run in my main PC, not happy with them right now. Got to be something stupid though.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You said your work PC, which is an X99, works. What is your home PC running? Nevermind, I see now it's an ASUS Z97.

Double-check that UEFI Mode is enabled in your BIOS (which it should be by default). -_-
I'll look for that setting. It may be off due to the age of my PCIe graphics card, but then I would have expected it to switch over when I took it out. I haven't ever seen a setting that sounds like that though in the BIOS.

First thing I did was upgrade my BIOS, and since then I have that menu.

E: I checked the installer log from a couple of years ago when I installed windows, and it says the bios was not in UEFI mode. I think that was before I switched motherboards though.

I found an option in the boot menu of the BIOS called compatibility mode, where I can disable legacy support and force UEFI boot. In order to enable that I need to switch primary GPU from PCIe to onboard.

However, the board still refuses to POST with the SSD installed, even with the PCIe GPU removed. And I would expect all those settings to only change whether I could boot from the SSD, and not whether the board would POST or not.

Ika fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 7, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just wanted to update in case someone else stumbles across the same issue. The problem with my SSD is that it contains SPD information at the same address as the Z97 board uses for memory configuration.

So the work-around would be to either not use all the DIMM slots (actually, not even use dual channel), or to disable the pin on the SSD that transfers the SPD info. (Source: https://communities.intel.com/message/308996#308996 )

And since a picture is worth a thousand words....

:suicide:

E: vvvvv If it hadn't had worked in my work PC I would have just RMAed it. And I snagged it for 50% off, that's a lot of motivation to get it working.

Ika fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 8, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Also, server motherboards often have a multiplexer to differentiate between the SPD info in various parts of the board.

AFAIK the SPD unit is used for hardware temperature monitoring, but the intel driver can also query the temperature via a different way.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

lDDQD posted:

Couldn't you also have solved this by manually setting the memory timings in your bios, rather than have it read them from the SPD table every bootup?

The post I found that identified the problem said that the memory was being detected as 512MB modules, so I assumed that that wouldn't have helped.

E: Just for shits and giggles, this is what the BIOS reports.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 10, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Mine is a P3600, the photo with the tape was from the original thread that had the hack in it. Still, for 350 euros worthwhile.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: nm

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Don't think I ever posted this after getting my SSD working. Haven't had a chance to do more with it than install win10 and then never boot to it since no software is installed yet.

I had expected quite a bit more, but it'll do.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The Gasmask posted:

:eyepop: what wizardry is this???

Intel NVM drive and a very carefully applied piece of electrical tape.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The Gasmask posted:

drat, I had no idea the PCIe speeds were that much higher than SATA, that's pretty incredible. I wonder if those crazy $8k+ 1 TB drives are getting these speeds, I'd hope so for that much cash.

How is the lifetime of these PCIe SSDs?

The datasheet for this one claims "up to 10.95 PB write endurance."

Since my many year old samsung 830 is still at the 9TB mark, I should be fine.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Shumagorath posted:

Emphasis on "future" since there's precious little in a user/gamer/non-server workload that can make a difference worth the price.

Got really lucky with a week long price drop and price per GB was just barely more than for a 850 PRO, and much less than for a 950. Otherwise I would agree with you.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Potato Salad posted:

The figure I presented on time saving at boot results from in-house testing of in-production user machines. Nothing artificial there. I get that's not your entire point, but know that tickets related to slow machines are way down, redeployment due to dead drives are down to sub-1% per year, complaints about our hardware in our annual user survey is waaaay down...

Sure, but if for example the employee comes into the office, boots his PC, goes to grab a coffee and chats for a few minutes before coming back and starting to work, it won't save any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Potato Salad posted:

Does anyone else want to choose "our users waste time anwyay" as a hill to die upon?

Just wanted to play devils advocate, I'm all for SSDs for every workstation. (And our devs all have them, and they are being rolled out as machines are being replaced in the rest of the company).

• Locked thread