Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Just ordered a 500GB 850 Evo. After reading the OP, I should format to max capacity and leave 20% free rather than formatting to 80% right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I think I'm going to get the ASRock Z97 board with the Ultra M.2 and pop a 500G 950 Pro in there.

Assuming that the BIOS is updated for the board to boot off of the M.2 drive, and that Samsung's Magician is updated to support the 950, I should be able to use Magician to set the 950 as the boot drive by moving over the data from my existing 850 Evo?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Moey posted:

Who shuts off their stuff in the first place?
I do. At the very minimum I'm either sleeping or at work for 18 hours of the day. I don't need the PC running during those hours.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Since the OP is 1.5 years old now, what is the consensus on Kingston SSDs? Specifically the SSDNow V300 - I know the Samsung 850 EVO is the best all-around, just want to know if there's anything particularly bad with this model? EDIT: Or the SanDisk X400?

If you're looking to go lower in price than an 850 Evo, these Mushkins seem to be fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226688&cm_re=reactor-_-20-226-596-_-Product

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

What's it mean when Magician states that OP can be set or cleared only for the last available partition? I've a single C: on my drive and a tiny one labeled recovery. Magician won't let me change the OP settings, and I've probably set aside too much.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Minty Swagger posted:

Thanks all, Is the 850 PRO worth it over the 850 regular if I really just use my machine for gaming and I like the quick load speed?
Nope

e: more specifically, the evo is already a better performer than most drives out there

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 22, 2016

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

Apparently I have a Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z68XP-UD3 (Socket 1155), which according to here has

So I guess I do have 2 :toot:

I guess they are the white connector at the bottom ?

Their site also tells me

Is this marketing bullshit or an actual thing ?

They are the white ones, and you won't be concerned with the SRT/caching thing because that's for non-SSD systems.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Varkk posted:

Just a quick warning that they may be Marvell ones rather than Intel. I have found some systems run a lot better on Intel SATA2 than on the Marvell SATA3 ports.

The Marvell ones are the gray stack. White are still Intel

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

So I got my SSD, plugged it in, switched my SATA ports to AHCI, deleted some files so everything fits on the SSD and started cloning with the Samsung migration tool.

Which gives me a whopping 14 Mb/s. Is it just me or should this speed be way higher? It'll take me 10 hours to clone my hard drive unto my SSD at that speed.

E: 17 MB/s wheeee.

I had another question, once I've cloned the drive, should I just format my old hdd to wipe it after testing that the system boots without trouble from the SSD?

It'll speed up but it still takes a long time. And yes, format the other one after

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

The Goatfather posted:

this is the newegg shell shocker this morning

are these SSDs awful? I already have an 500 gig 850 evo that won't be replaced, this would just be for steam :retrogames:

It's good, but I don't think you really need to jump on it if you don't need it, other budget but still decent drives are around the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226596&cm_re=reactor-_-20-226-596-_-Product

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

From Tom's review of the RD400, OCZ has been more or less reduced to marketing within Toshiba:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ocz-rd400-nvme-ssd,4578.html

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Ak Gara posted:

Are there any m.2's that can actually use the 32gb/s available?

If they're NVMe and not still stuck on the SATA standard then yeah, pretty sure they do have the ability to max out that bandwidth if I'm not mistaken.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Dogen posted:

If I bought an 850 Evo off newegg a week ago it probably came with the newest firmware, right?

I bought one prior to the PC release of GTA5 and I don't recall Magician ever saying there was newer firmware available, so yeah I think you're fine

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I've got a SATA M.2 and an Ultra/NVMe M.2 slot, I hope to fill both of them with some good deals later this year...

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I'd look to history here. Remember how god drat expensive high-end Skylakes looked when they came out? That's the enthusiast tier. Spitball price will be "Gouge the early adopters." Same with NVMe M.2 pricing right now -- still isn't really coming down. Why shouldn't Intel gouge the early adopters?

e- I meant this to be less direct -- Skylakes supported NVMe M.2 / PCIe / u.2 from launch last August. It's +1 year and manufacturers haven't lowered that poo poo much, and holy cow is the pricing of M.2 devices premium. Optane compatibility is coming out in enthusiast and mainstream tiers kinda close together in late Q4/ start of Q1, but make no mistake, they're going to treat the storage devices themselves as ultra-premium commodities.

I do look forward to being wrong :ohdear:

How many options have there been for NVMe? Outside of that OEM Samsung one, and the 950 Pro, and those more-or-less enterprise level Intel drives, there really hasn't been much else out there.

I think now, or at least soon, you can get into it with Kingston and Toshiba/OCZ but I don't think SanDisk/WD have anything yet that isn't still tied to SATA3.

I'm sure some of this is gouging for early adopters, but there's also been a real lack of options. And, M.2 slots themselves aren't out there on every board, and fewer of those that are use PCIe lines for the speed of NVMe.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I like that Intel 600p since I have two M.2 slots waiting to be used (even if only one is PCIe), but the green PCB doesn't match my black board with blue heatsinks, blue RAM, and blue accented EVGA 970.

:goonsay:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I have a 4-year old Crucial 480GB drive that I have no complaint about, so something like this would be great. Then again, I've never experienced the magic of an EVO booting Windows instantly. Like some caveman from the early 00's, I still have to wait a few seconds for the login prompt.
I haven't sperged out and actually timed it, but it feels like I wait longer for POST to complete than I do getting Windows to boot to the login screen on an 850 Evo

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Any worthwhile half height mSATA SSDs? The few on newegg appear to be nameless wildcards. I'm getting an older laptop soon and wouldn't mind filling that space with an OS-only drive if there's anything good out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I haven't seen the 850 evo in half height:

• Locked thread