Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Now with a better theme song!
Jan "TigerMax" Smith

This is what I look like in my dreams. So coooooool!

This is what I really look like. Wait, why is my tongue sticking out? Oh, I remember, Mako took me to this place with great fried stuff and I still had some sauce on my lips. Mmm...

Simple Summary: Jan Smith is not her real name. Her "name" is a series of numbers and letters. She is a Renegade Being created by the mysterious Mendel Biomedical with the intent to push the possibilities of the Renegade virus. When Jan and her siblings were deemed failures, her "parents" staged a jailbreak. Ever since, they've been hiding out in an apartment in the city, trying their best to seem as normal as possible. After about a year out of the Lab, Jan has chafed at her parents' restrictions, wanted to breakout herself. In part thanks to the guidance of the strange Renegade Being Cesario, she's been inspired to use her powers to help people.

quote:

Name: Jan Smith
Code Name: Lunar Magical Maiden Pretty Selene. Or maybe TigerMAX. Or maybe Thunderbeast. Ooooooh or what about...
Breed: Crossbreed
Syndrome: Chimaera/Hanuman
Work: Renegade Being A Cover: High School Student
Base Encroachment Rate: 35
pre:
Stats:
Body		6
Sense 		2
Mind 		1
Social 		3

Skills:
Melee		2
Dodge		2
Range		1
Will		1
Ride: Two Wheel	2
Negotiation	1
RC		1
Art: Rock	1

Life History:
Origin: Renegade Family
Awakening: Experimentation (16)
Impulse: Hunger (14)
Encounter: "Cesario" - Teacher

HP: 34/34
Initiative: 5
Move: 10m	Dash: 20m	Bicycle: 46m
Stock: 6	Savings: 0
Powers:
Humanity’s Neighbor
LV: 1/5
Timing: Constant
Skill: -
DIFF: Auto
Target: Self
Range: Close
Encroach: Base +5
Details: Constant +LV dice impulse check bonus

Origin: Human
LV: 1/5
Timing: Minor
Encroach: 2
Details: For duration of Scene, any of the User's checks using Powers receive a +LV bonus to final score

Resurrect
LV: 1/3
Timing: Auto
Restrict: <100%
Encroach: Equal to HP recovered
Details: Declare when Incapacitated or Scene ends. Recover (LV)D HP, even if suffering Pressure Status.

Warding
LV: 1/1
Timing: Auto
Target: Scene
Range: View
Encroach: 0
Details: Knock out all normal people in area.

Complete Therianthropy
Encroach: 6
Details: +LV+2 Dice Bonus to all Body checks. May use only Weapon: Fists

Reaming Claw
LV: 1/10
Encroach: 3
Details: For Scene, Fists become Reaming Claws

Dragon Scales
LV: 3/3
Timing: Reaction
Details: Power may be used as a Reaction to attacks directed towards me. Gain +30 Armor + any worn armor

Hawk Wings
Details: Grow wings and attain Flight for Scene. +LV dice Dodge bonus

Qinggong (Simple)
Encroach: -
Details: Run on walls or over water

Air Instrument (Simple)
Timing: Major
Target: Refer
Range: View
Details: Perfect playback and the best air guitar in the world.

Dormant Genes (Simple)
Details: Assume the shape of an animal for long periods of time.

Weapons:
Reaming Claw: +LV+8 Attack/1 Guard = 9/1. With T-Lois: 15/1

Armor:
Secondhand Leather Jacket That Says "NO MOON" On The Back, I Dunno : 2 Armor [4]

Items:
That Sweet Fixed-Gear That I Found in a Dumpster: Attack Power 2, Initiative -1, Dash: 46m
Cellphone, School Uniform

Loises:
T-Lois: Tyrannos: +6 melee attack power, weapons tend to break easily

“Best Friend For Life” Mako Nakamura: Friendship/Alienation
“Um…Jan?”
“What is it, Mako-chan?”
“How…I’ve never seen someone ride a bike like that before, is all.”
“You mean, you’ve never seen someone this cool ride a bike, right?”
Mako, exasperated, mutters something unkind towards Jan to herself as she walks over to help her friend learn how to ride a bike. Step One: Sit facing front.

“My Family” The Smith Family: Protection/Anger
Note: The Smith family consists of Mike (Exile/Hanuman), Carol (Neumann/Chimaera), Greg (Hanuman/Neumann), Marcy (Exile/Neumann), Jan (Chimaera/Hanuman), and Bobby (Normal-ish)

It’s three AM. Jan is only just getting home. Her hair is a mess and she’s covered in dirt. She tries to creep in without waking anyone up; not an easy task with a family of Overeds.
“You’re home.”
Jan stops cold. “…Hi, Dad.”
“Sit.” He pats a chair next to him, in the kitchen.”
“I didn’t think you would be home. I thought you were—”
“I finished up early at the shop. Thought I would have a bit of something before bed, but I didn’t hear you in bed.”
“Dad, I was just—”
“First, let me speak. I know it’s hard, living here. Since the lab, we have all struggled, you children most of all.”
Jan just looks down, unsure of what to say. She knows her family wouldn’t approve of her…extracurriculars.
“Hey, what’s going—” Greg pokes his head into the kitchen, “Whoa, butterfingers is busted!”
“Ugh, butt-out Greg, you’re such a—”
“Greg, please, I’m having a talk with your sister. Please go back to bed before—”
“Hey, Jan!”
“Ugh. Hi, Bobby.”
“Your hair looks like an octopus.”
“Yeah, well, so does your face.”
“Children—”
At that moment, Marcy tries to sneak past the family, having had a night of her own. Seeing everyone in the kitchen, she tries to slink back out, Exile-style.
“Stop right there!”
Suddenly, a growl shakes the Smith household. The father, Mike, sighs. “Now you’ve woken your mother up. Wonderful.”

Background
“What the f--?” The nasty man yelped before crashing to the ground. He obviously didn’t expect to be flying today. Because I can fly. I think I forgot to mention that. I can do other things, but I thinking flying is probably the coolest of them. Mako-chan says that I sing pretty well too, but that’s just because I got Daddy’s powers too, so it’s nothing much.

“Where was I—oh sugar! I was narrating again, wasn’t I?” The baddie starts to regain his feet, holding the bloody mess of his nose in one hand. Of course, I couldn’t let him get away, so I kicked his butt again. He might have gone a bit further than I wanted him to. I’m pretty strong for my size. Or any size. I probably should have mentioned that.

“Ow! My rear end!” Laid out on the ground, he rubbed his bruised bottom. “What are you?”

I struck my hero pose, with my wings wide—I mentioned those, right? That’s how I fly, stupid. “I’m Lunar Magical Maiden Pretty Selene (working title) here to kick your butt.” I struck another pose, for good measure. You can never strike too many poses, you know.

The man groaned again. “What did I do to deserve this…?” I answered by lifting him up by his collar. I mean, sure, his knees were practically still on the ground, but come on, it’s still scary. “You stole from Mrs. Nakamura, Evildoer! Change your ways or we’ll be meeting again very soon!”

The man groaned, “God, yes, yeah, whatever, just get the hell away from me!” After that he ran off and I never saw him again. I sort of hope he turned over a new leaf, but whatever. He was a jerk. He robbed Mako-chan’s apartment! The place looked like, well, what the old lab looked like when we left. The creep even took Mako’s diary! What kind of perv takes a girl’s diary? I didn’t really get the point of a diary until she explained it to me, but I tell you, once I got it I was mighty teed off! I managed to get that back, though not much else.

Mako is my best friend, by the way. I think I forgot to mention that. My only friend too. But if I had a bunch of friends, I’m sure she’d still by the best one. Top five. At least top ten. Anyway, she’s great. She teaches me a lot about how to live in the city, though I knows how much she’s really helped me. Only other person who’s come close is Cesario. She’s so weird but she knows so much about what it’s like to, you know, be like this. Sometimes I feel like I can rely on her to help me with anything, to tell me anything. She’s even the one who gave me the courage to start helping people. Other times, well, it’s hard to depend on someone who shares a body with someone who has no idea! Still, it’s good to talk about this stuff to someone outside of the family. She listens to my Overed stuff (when I can find her) and Mako is always there for everything else.

I…I feel like I forgot something. Oh. Oh right! I still haven’t said anything about the lab, or our daring escape, or how I’m not human. Well, not entirely. The way Mom puts it, we’re a lot of a lot of things. Some Human, to start, but also Ape, Rat, and a bunch of birds and fishes and lizards. A bunch of Dog. It’s why my teeth look so weird and my eyes sometimes turn yellow—also why I always have my trusty sunglasses handy!

But yeah, I was born in a lab. Well, not born. Sort of…flushed from a tube, I guess. I don’t remember it, of course, but Mom was very clear on stuff like that. See, except for Bobby, we’ve all got those powers you might have heard about. Mom’s make her smart and stuff, Dad’s make him really flexible and fast. Actually, everyone got Mom’s smarts but me. But I got her other power, so NYAH! Greg, I don’t care that you can do everything faster than me, or how Marcy’s powers…UGH! My life sucks so much!

I mean, it used to suck worse. In the Lab. Mendel Biomedical ran it; they’re the huge company that made us and my grandparents. I never met them, but Mom and Dad said they were nice enough. I’m what the researchers called a Third Generation Renegade Being. My parents were second, blah blah blah, you get it. Mom and Dad were always with us, but those days seem like a weird dream now. Just hanging around with Mom, Dad, Greg, Marcy, and Bobby and watching whatever TV they’d let us see. Usually the Brady Bunch. Then every so often, the Researchers would appear, and everything would change. I still get nightmares about it. They never treated us…bad, really, it’s just, whenever they showed up, that was the only time I’d ever see Mom and Dad get even a little scared. And the way they looked at us, it’s like we weren’t even there. So creepy.

About a year ago…Well sort of a year ago. We found that part out later. A year ago, Mom and Dad decided that we had to escape, they told us the truth, as best as they could figure it. We were part of a big experiment. They didn’t know they longterm goal, but they knew that they expected me, my sister, and my brothers to be something called Tribreeds. I had heard the researchers call us Crossbreeds, and I had bet that they definitely didn’t get what they wanted from poor Bobby. He had no powers at all, and still doesn’t. Mom knew what they did with specimens they didn’t need. She told us why we never saw our grandparents. And she told us what was going to happen to us if we didn’t get away.

They planned for months, paying careful attention to the researchers in case we ran out of time early. I didn’t see what happened that night, but I heard a lot of terrible noises. Mom and Dad had told us to shut our eyes and cover our ears, but we still heard. And when they came back, we could smell the blood. I don’t like to think about the night we got out.

When we were free, we learned so much so fast. The outside world was so different from TV! Mom and Dad were able to get us a safe place pretty quick. Now that I think about it, they’re pretty scary, huh! Scary awesome! We all settled into our new lives. Mom goes around collecting change and turning it into big money in the stock market through…magic, I think. I’m pretty sure it’s not illegal. At least, she tells me that it’s technically not illegal yet. Dad is a handyman. He loves his job, because he’s the best at unclogging drains with his stretchy hands and he’s never late when a client calls. I’m real proud of my Dad. Us kids went to High School; different ones, of course. Jerky Greg and Marcy got into smarty schools (cheaters), while me and Bobby got into our school. You know, I COULD have used my powers to cheat too, but I’m principled! Also, the exam commissioner? Not a cat or a dog person. Freak!

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Alright, changed my sheet bigtime.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Silly me, I wrote this thinking we were mutual Loises or whatever. Anyway, I don't feel like deleting it.

"Jo. Jo. Hey Jo. Jo, hey, watch this. Waaaaaatch meeeeee."

Josephine looks over just in time for Jan to tumble facefirst over her handlebars, landing solidly on her face.

"Owwwwwww...I'm okay." She gives an thumbs up. Unfortunately, being inverted, it's a thumbs-down. "Worth it!" She smiles through the grit.

Josephine seems cool, in retrospect. When Jan got assigned to do extra work, she thought it was going to be terrible. She's not that great at math. Or chemistry. Or history...Oh, but I make up for it in gym! So when it turned out that she could just do bike tricks during the study session. This is the easiest study period that she's ever had!

"So you haven't seen Mork & Mindy? Seriously? It's like, the best old show you could watch." She picks up her bike and inspects it. The frame is bent. She glances over to Josephine, and seeing that she's occupied with...her phone? Something? Jan decides to deal with it, taking the frame in both hands and carefully bending it back into shape. She looks back--still doing whatever. Good.

"Oh, hey, Teacher is back in the classroom. I wonder how she's feeling. Hi!" Jan waves to the teacher inside the study room.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread