Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Retrain 28: Lose Strength through Challenge and gain Superior Will
Daily 29: Cataclysmic Duel replaces Quicksilver Blade
Retrain 29: (reserve for now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
swap eye of the sun for WORD OF THE GODS

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Jade Shopping:

Buy:
2x Elixir of Flying (epic tier) (2x9000=18000)
Iron of Spite (epic tier) (1625000)
Shadow Band (epic tier) (1625000)

Sell:
Foe Binder Ring (105000/2=52500)
Ring of the Radiant Storm (65000/2=32500)
Circlet of Arkhosia (paragon tier) (21000/2=10500)

Money:
+3331430 balance forward
+95500 sold items
-3268000 purchased items
=158930 balance remaining

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 7, 2018

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

The War for the Burning Sky takes...not a pause, but a moment of stillness. Despite painful losses, the Resistance has scored a victory and the palace of Empress Leska is literally just over the horizon. Two armies which faced off only hours before are now planning an assault on the Imperial City together, while the monks of the West Wind are leaderless and must plot their own course in uncertain skies. The Stormbreakers hover at the edge of achieving their true destiny, and the next step is going to be a doozy.

Take that step tonight Tuesday, March 13th at 7 PM PST.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oh right...shoppin.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Oh, I forgot to say what my power swap is.

Lose: Tyrannical Threat (Warlock 1)
Gain: Caiphons Abominable Melody (Warlock 29)

Edit: Don't forget y'all inherent bonuses now you hear

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 14, 2018

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Avandra be praised, I found the lost Compendium modules on an old laptop. I'll have all characters updated by next Tuesday's game, and see what I can do with various special effects.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Praise to the lady! Praise the rings of free time! Praise the knife of teleport! These are things of should of bought! Praise the next tier of telepathic fungus helm!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
brb, buying a million thunderstones, what happens when I swing them in a sack to hit someone with it

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
no hears anything again

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

"Life in the Imperial City of Ragos was surprisingly consistent in the immediate aftermath of Coaltongue's assassination. The Imperial bureaucracy was at this point a precision instrument, and kept the ship of state moving on a day to day basis. In the years since, of course, we have reconstructed that this was in large part due to extensive planning beforehand by Leska and her agents within the Inquistion - any governor or other high-ranking official who was seen as having a viable path to the throne had been killed or otherwise taken off the board beforehand. As a result, Leska's declaration that she would be acting as the leader of Ragesia encountered no obstacles, and the smooth functioning of government kept public unrest to a minimum. Those first few weeks were dominated by a formal inquest to the assassination of the late Emperor, as well as a monthlong period of mourning and remembrance for Drakus Coaltongue.

Leska chose the end of this month to "coincide" with a proclamation regarding the villains responsible for the death of the Emperor, and with those words began her Grand Inquisition against the dangerous, uncontrollable, secretive arcane powers of the world."

- Professor Kristin Highhill,
The Year of the Burning Sky

The crashing of Leska's party continues tonight Tuesday, March 20th at 7 PM PST. Current number of ships on fire: 1. Current number of ships unburnt: 2. Let's see what we can do about that number.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Hey guys, I have to bail tonight. I think tonight was when tog was out, too

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

No game tonight then. I'll just board up the windows of my apartment for the Epic Rainstorm Mudslide Cataclysm the news tells me is coming.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
we almost got snowed out of a hiking today. Sorry game was canceled!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Should be good for tuesday

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I have to bow out for this Tuesday, gonna see Judas Priest tomorrow!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Cerepol posted:

I have to bow out for this Tuesday, gonna see Judas Priest tomorrow!

Judas Priest is still a thing? I'm kind of shocked.

kaynorr posted:

"Life in the Imperial City of Ragos was surprisingly consistent in the immediate aftermath of Coaltongue's assassination. The Imperial bureaucracy was at this point a precision instrument, and kept the ship of state moving on a day to day basis. In the years since, of course, we have reconstructed that this was in large part due to extensive planning beforehand by Leska and her agents within the Inquistion - any governor or other high-ranking official who was seen as having a viable path to the throne had been killed or otherwise taken off the board beforehand. As a result, Leska's declaration that she would be acting as the leader of Ragesia encountered no obstacles, and the smooth functioning of government kept public unrest to a minimum. Those first few weeks were dominated by a formal inquest to the assassination of the late Emperor, as well as a monthlong period of mourning and remembrance for Drakus Coaltongue.

Leska chose the end of this month to "coincide" with a proclamation regarding the villains responsible for the death of the Emperor, and with those words began her Grand Inquisition against the dangerous, uncontrollable, secretive arcane powers of the world."

- Professor Kristin Highhill,

Still as true as it was last week. Continue to crash Leska's party tonight Tuesday, March 27th at 7 PM PST.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

kaynorr posted:

Judas Priest is still a thing? I'm kind of shocked.

Yeah my mate is a huge fan and they are playing like down the street from me so we are going. They just released a new album as well

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cerepol posted:

Yeah my mate is a huge fan and they are playing like down the street from me so we are going. They just released a new album as well

thank you for this intel~

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
KAYNORR

lowtax needs money you should get an av. people can message me and give me a buck or two for a gift cert because goddamn homie.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Something's come up and I'm going to be away this Tuesday. Sorry!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

We gain a warlord but lose a swordvenger. The war must go on - specifically, it goes on tonight Tuesday, April 3rd at 7 PM PST.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
sorry for being late

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

sorry for being late

It's OK, we were sans Cerepol as well so we didn't have quorum to proceed. Speaking of which....WRITING EXERCISE!

Cerepol's last known whereabouts were at a Judas Priest concert a week ago. What terrible misfortune or metal-tinged adventure has he been on?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I actually have about 4 pages of notes for a story, and then I realized writing the notes was better than the story would actually ever be.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

A Short History of Cerepol's Last Month - By Cerepol

Hey All, Sorry about the missing session last week, work has been... awful. If you would like to know more about Common Reporting Standards - Global Informatoin Reporting or CRS GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR as I like to call it, I can tell you all about PNFEs and how they must be reported with their controlling persons. Still I'm sorry for not at least posting, I've just had nothing on my mind but taxes lately, but the upside is I've been getting to bill a LOT of overtime.

edit:

also I don't want to stop playing, but my commitment over the next couple weeks is gonna be my job with little time for else. (I booked 65 hours last week!)
I will be here today though!

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 10, 2018

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Cerepol posted:

A Short History of Cerepol's Last Month - By Cerepol

Hey All, Sorry about the missing session last week, work has been... awful. If you would like to know more about Common Reporting Standards - Global Informatoin Reporting or CRS GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR as I like to call it, I can tell you all about PNFEs and how they must be reported with their controlling persons. Still I'm sorry for not at least posting, I've just had nothing on my mind but taxes lately, but the upside is I've been getting to bill a LOT of overtime.

Sympathies, IT comrade. I'm doing a production build for the next two weeks so my life has already started to suck despite spending the last four months trying to stop this exact circumstance.

We could all use a good dose of fantasy. And as of right now we should have a full party for tonight Tuesday, April 10th at 7 PM PST. The storming of the Imperial Palace continues! The giant metal bears just want to give you a big hug. And take all your honey. But mostly the hug thing.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
make those cannuck bucks duder

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

"Although a full accounting of the organization is more than space allots here, a brief history of the Inquisition may shed light on how the Year of the Burning Sky played out within the heart of the empire itself. The first Inquisitor was a man by the name of Kalitus, and to this day we do not know which (if any) of the old clans of Ragesia he descended from. We know he was instrumental in foiling the first serious plot against the Emperor's rule, roughly seven years after the founding, and for his service was granted a new position in Coaltongue's service and the resources of the empire to defend its emperor from daggers in the back. The first Grand Inquisitor held that title for twelve years until he contracted a fatal case of orchid rash, at which point he named his deputy Veringer Rast as the new Grand Inquisitor.

Grand Inquisitor Rast's services proved to be less and less necessary as time went on, as the power of Ragesia's armies combined with the Torch of the Burning Sky itself made a potent deterrent. The only military power that could even begin to rival the empire was the Shining Kingdom, and thanks in no small part to the personal connection between Coaltongue and Shaaladel, relations stayed amicable. There were only two plots against the Emperor that came to anything resembling fruition - the first was uncovered in its infancy due to the incompetence of the plotters, and quickly snuffed out by the Inquisition. The second managed to put an assassin within the grounds of the Imperial palace itself, but failed to deliver a killing blow to the Emperor.

Coaltongue considered the incident to be an indictment as to the incompetence of Grand Inquisitor Rast, but also a wake-up call that the greatest weakness to his empire would forever be his own mortality. No force could match him in the field, but the shadow games of spies and assassins left him vulnerable. It was at this time that his interest in that oldest of arcane pursuits, the secrets of immortality, kindled. For those who wish to know more about this story, I can highly recommend the work of my fellow scholar Byron Forcourt, specifically "The Race Eternal: The Political Implications of Life Everlasting". In any case, the emperor's search bore fruit when a minor figure at court named Leska demonstrated that she was unkillable by slitting her own thrown in front of Drakus Coaltongue, and promised to do the same for him. And so Veringer Rast found himself "retired", and Grand Inquisitrix Leska was installed.

Under Leska, the Inquisition slowly became a political factor in imperial politics. Looking back, we can see Leska lay the intellectual groundwork for what would eventually become the Inquisition's purge of magic-users. The power to alter reality itself, so the Inquisition taught, was wielded irresponsibly by the hands of mortals. Sorcerers, wizards, and the like could not be trusted with the power they gleaned from their secret studies and arcane teachings. Such power could only be responsibly wielded through the bulwark of the gods, for was it not the gods who laid down the laws of the world and therefore knew best who would be entrusted with bending them? Faith made one worth power, and the Inquisition had come to the conclusion that those who lacked faith had to be dealt with. "Wizard supremacy is a Scourge upon our land, an offense to the gods, and a threat to the wellbeing of the Empire itself" announced the Grand Inquisitrix in her famous address from the steps of the palace, only months before the emperor's assassination.

Not willing to stop at a purge of arcane practices, Leska sought to remake how the gods were worshipped as well. Ragos' famous Temple Row underwent extensive renovations almost as soon as Leska took power, prohibiting the worship of some gods such as Avandra and Bahamut (accusing the priesthoods of these faiths of being political enemies of the state) while allowing cults to Tiamat, Vecna, and Bane to practice openly for the first time ever. "Be not afraid of recognizing the power of greed, for are not all gods equally favored upon the slopes of Mount Celestia? Did they all not lay down their lives to protect the world from the forces of elemental chaos that would have rent it asunder? Wisdom can be found in all these pursuits, and I will not have the people of our nation blind to the truths of our world" she wrote in her Proclamation of the Truth of Faith and Belief.

In practice, this meant turning a blind eye to what was effectively a street war between priesthoods that raged in major cities for much of the next year. What Leska did not anticipate, perhaps, is that some churches would not go down without a fight, and would find common cause with the practices of the arcane arts who were similarly beleaguered. The seeds of resistance to Leska's rule were planted and tended by holy and learned souls alike, and eventually yielded a violent harvest when the Tempest sailed to the Imperial City"

- Professor Kristin Highhill

The Seneschal of Asmodeus awaits, and the fate of the city of Ragos hangs in the balance. Challenge the pit lord tonight Tuesday, April 17th, at 7 PM PST.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm in

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

No time for a fiction excerpt this week, just charging headlong into danger. Leska may have slipped through the Stormbreaker's fingers, but the chase continues into the desolate reaches of the Opaline Wastes, where the Grand Inquisitrix has chosen to make her final stand. Oblige her tonight Tuesday, April 24th, at 7 PM PST.

Warning that tonight's session contains Dangerous Experimental Content, so please make sure you've signed the release form before rolling the dice.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I got some powers I want to consider can we get those power borrowing rules?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Novorath has some cool options here (that are also flavourful!)

Spear of Destiny (mistakenly called Arrow of Destiny in the compendium)
Might require too much changing?

For encounters either

or

Ofc a lot of this depends on whether or not I'm allowed to do implement things.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Battlegrounds of the Burning Sky

Each character will lead a company of troops into battle, drawn from the forces assembled by Xavious Foebane. At present, the order of battle is:
  • Capmor will lead the Gilden Thorns, the personal retinue of Princess Shalosha of the Shahalesti
  • Drago will lead the Dassen Irregulars, Dassen's most elite warriors and catapaultists, as assembled by Ingrid Zott
  • Erik will lead the Unbroken Circle, an assembly of the faithful warriors with Seaquen's Church of Unity
  • Jade will lead a collection of humans and trillith from Gate Pass, calling themselves the Waking Dreams, as assembled by Rantle
  • Novorath will lead the Spearpoint Academy Graduating Class
In reserve are:
  • Seela warriors and druids from the forest of Innotendar, with Jeegan of the Living Blade at the forefront
  • Monks of both the East and West Wind, guided by the only surviving direct student of Pilus, Shen

Leading a company of troops provides an additional 27 encounter and 29 daily power, drawn from any list. To-hit abilities and riders will be adjusted to reflect your ability spread. Implements & weapon abilities may be chosen even if you don't wield the appropriate item - implement abilities will have their accuracy dialed down to cancel out a character's weapon proficiency. Damage types will stay the same. If you are reduced to 0 HP, you can opt to disperse your current company and pull from the reserve list - your new company with you at the head will enter battle on the next combat round. This will change your bonus powers.

Combat plays out like it does at the individual level, with the exception of teleports and visibility. Any power that teleports becomes a shift unless you have the Torch of the Burning Sky. In practice this means you can't bring people over impassible terrain, you'll have to slide them around it instead. Because of the scrying ward that Leska has established, vision is limited to seven squares away for the purposes of spotting units. You all share perfect information of the battlefield, so if one person has spotted an enemy unit everyone sees them.

Disrupting the Leska's Pearlescent Orb involves locating a number of ritual sites in the Opaline Wastes, occupying the same square as them, and performing a Standard Action to destroy the site. Locating a ritual site is a Arcana or Nature skill check as a Minor Action. DC 20 will show you any shrines one square away, DC 30 two squares away, DC 40 three squares away. DC 50 provides no benefit other than demonstrating that you can break the D&D 4E skill system over your leg. All ritual sites must be destroyed in the same combat round, but do not have to be destroyed simultaneously in terms of individual turns in the round.

Feel free to rip apart these entirely homebrewed rules, otherwise commence with your power picks and get ready for the Battle of the Opaline Wastes!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

1. Kaynorr I love you, this sounds rad as gently caress

2. HELL YEAH GIVE ME
2a. I can't wait till someone tries to save out of this and I Help/Hinder them to a -11 save modifier

3. Also I'll take

4. I really do like this sound of these rules. Gonna be a fun climatic large scale battle!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
May not be bale to make it this week due to group project. Will keep you posted.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Can I take a 25 Daily?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

TheDemon posted:

Can I take a 25 Daily?

Absolutely.

Herr Tog posted:

May not be bale to make it this week due to group project. Will keep you posted.

Assuming this terrible prophecy does not come to pass, the Battle of the Opaline wastes happens tonight, Tuesday May 1st, at 7 PM PST. Be sure to leave your International Worker's Day protests in time to join the fantasy mass combat action!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Okay, since I'm not likely to ever play a 4E Druid (although I kind of want to now), I'm going to take Writhing Henge (D25).

Except like, flavor it as Trillith weaving dream illusions that sometimes shank people. FYI the summoning rules are:
- HP equal to summoner's blooded value
- When they die the summoner loses a healing surge
- Same attack and defense stats as summoner unless otherwise stated

e: Oh I guess I need an E27 too. Uh...

Let's try this one. Same "whoops I'm you" Trillith flavor.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
fighter 29: Force the battle. At wills and encounters do another 1[w] damage (I can make a single damage button to do this), and as long as I can make opportunity attacks, once per round I can make an at-will attack against an adjacent target who started their turn.

Bard 27: Greater flash of Distraction. Trigger: You hit with a basic attack. That creature is now stunned until end of my next turn.

• Locked thread