Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Hi everyone! I've been talking to kaynorr and it looks like I'm playing your new defender.

Jade is a Deva - going to flavor that more as subtle reincarnate than 4e's blue skinned angel or whatever - and a Swordmage|Avenger, focused on getting the most out of the Sigil Carver PP. Kind of experimental on my part, but I swear it'll probably work.

quote:

Personality:
Brusque and direct. Tends to miss subtlety. Delivers both intentional and unintentional sarcasm. A bit of a vindictive streak in fights.

Personal History:
Jade is a professional instructor of history and archaeology, who has taught been let go from teaching positions at temples of knowledge and schools around the continent. When between teaching jobs, she runs archaeological digs on behalf of whoever pays (the church, schools, rich patrons), and learned defensive magic to deal with the dangers of exploration.

Originally from the wooded hills of Sindaire, Jade grew up playing in old ruins just down the hill from her family's house. She survived the plague that took her sister and mother, failed in an attempt to become a knight apprentice, and was eventually taken in by a traveling priestess to be fully educated at the temple of Ioun. A few years later, it only took a few successful expeditions with support of the church to go from unknown to up-and-coming scholar.

In the past few years, Jade has based in Gate Pass, its central location making for an excellent place to travel from and supply expeditions all around the continent. Not the best place for a stable teaching job, but the Saraswatin is nice enough given she actually writes tomes and runs classes, and the local academy did take her as an associate lecturer for a few semesters. Nothing like the school in Seaquen, but it's not like teaching ever paid more than a living wage.

On the other hand, Gate Pass was the freest place to base close to Shahalesti, and the eladrin pay drat well for artifacts and don't particularly care about a weird-looking archaeologist. So long as she doesn't stick her nose into their business.

Of course, nothing ever stays so simple.

During her time in Gate Pass, Ragesia has become more and more inhospitable to anyone with an arcane, historical, scientific outlook. Even before recent events, the inquisitors had gotten more aggressive. Pressured by old acquaintances back in her homeland of Sindaire and driven by her own dislike of the Ragesian inquisitors, Jade made contact with the Gate Pass Resistance and managed to join them. Over the past year, using the cover of her own travels, Jade has reported on the state of the world and brought word from abroad back to the local leaders in Gate Pass.

Now that things have escalated to open war across the known world, Jade is finding another talent is in demand no matter where she ends up - cracking skulls in the name of freedom.

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7832

I'm pretty excited, although I have to say I have zero idea how Fantasy Grounds works. What kind of prep do I need? A token? Macros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Hey, I haven't seen an Avenger|Swordmage before, so that's cool!

Ok, so you've got an incisive dagger for more defenses, but you also have a flail with flail expertise. I'm PRETTY CURIOUS.

I have a Rakshasa Claw familiar, which lets me swap what I'm holding as a free action. So yeah, there's defenses, teleport distance, and the Heavy Flail for the MBA. Can be more once I get to buy some lower-level items.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 24, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

So thematically a Religious professor who hates Regisians?

Mah intellectual freedoms are being repressed.

More someone caught up in events than a fanatic, but basically yes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Anime Indiana Jones doesn't need angel wings cramping her style okay?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm curious as to how you adjusted it to be a solo fight vs us.

Edit: Just as a reminder as to how screwed this guy was.

Assuming the solo got a full round of actions, stood up from prone, and then moved, then Jade's OA (he's at least got CA, and rolls twice) would re-prone him. And even if he misses, Lock's OA would slow him. Jade would have another chance to prone him (with another double roll), and then, with at-wills only, Lock and Drago could drag him back into the center of the zone. And all of this is assuming that collectively we did nothing else to prevent him from leaving.

Dude was screwed.

Point of order, Jade can't OA twice in a single character's turn. Either stop movement as OA or hit him with OA when he attacks a friendly adjacent to her, not both.

Given what this guy does, I think the power that stops teleporting and invis is the most loving thing right now, mind you.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Jade's Wishlist before I forget. I'll just dump all of Paragon Tier on here actually.

Gear:
Baldric of Shielding (19)
Ring of Retreat (17)
Bloodiron Heavy Flail +4 (18)
Foe Binder Ring (19)
Cloak of Distortion +4 (19)
Flowform Mindweave Armor +4 (19)

Cool Stuff:
Stone of Earth (paragon tier) (12)
Symbol of Victory +2 (9)
Moran's Eye (14)

Updated here.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 28, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

also what the hell happened last week?

Lock Schmee and the Brutal Horse Formation

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Jade E17 - Surprising Transposition (Replaces Transposing Lunge)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I can arrange to be available on either evening.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I might be a few minutes late. No more than 15 or so, hopefully less. Have to take care of something real quick.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Updating the wishlist. Notably, changing the weapon from a Flail to a Heavy Flail and added the items marked with *:

Gear:
Ring of Retreat (17)
Bloodiron Heavy Flail +4 (18)
Foe Binder Ring (19)
Cloak of Distortion +4 (19)
Flowform Feyweave Armor +4 (19)
Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier) (20)*

Cool Stuff:
Stone of Earth (paragon tier) (12)
Symbol of Victory +2 (9)
Moran's Eye (14)
Dice of Auspicious Fortune (11)*
Solitaire (Citrine) (11)*
Solitaire (Aquamarine) (16)*

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 12, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

My level 1 stats are:
10 Str / 13 Con / 11 Dex / 16 Int / 16 Wis / 8 Cha
Add the +2 racial bonus to both Int and Wis for a total of 10/13/11/18/18/8.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I'm running a bit late today, hopefully not more than 15 min

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I had kind of planned on taking a big poo poo on my AC at 18 so was hoping to get the opportunity to spend gold before. I guess here:

18 Feat: Double Aegis
Retrain Feat: Hybrid Talent (Armor of Faith) to Hybrid Talent (Avenger's Censure, Censure of Retribution)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

NASA does some cool things in Houston.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Uh oh. This general probably has the Hate Orb, and it's getting awfully close to the dragon skeleton.

We really need to make sure that orb doesn't get any closer to the dragon skeleton. I could take Drago down the elevator, and you guys could pick me up outside with the flying sled thingy

I mean, that's why I started hanging out by the elevator in the first place, because I realized whoever wins the fight outside is almost certainly coming up with the orb.

I think we'll be okay as long as we fight them in the corridor.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

@Tog, here are a few items I found that fit your no-line-of-sight teleport criteria

Incisive Dagger +5 (525000 gp) daily lets you teleport without needing to see the destination square
Chamber Cloak +4 (85000 gp) daily lets you remove yourself from the plane if damaged and lets you return within 5 squares at the start of your next turn, which doesn't need Line of Sight
Cloak of Feywild Escape (125000 gp) daily lets you do similar as a move action, but must come back within 5 of a chosen ally. You had to have LoS to the ally when you use it, but can come back in a spot that doesn't have LoS to them.
Guardian's Cape +4 (125000 gp) daily move action lets you swap with a willing ally without line of sight
Eladrin Ring of Passage (21000 gp) daily and after a milestone you can teleport as a move action without line of sight

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 16, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

My candidates.

Found another one:
Breaching Armor +1 (680 gp) or +4 (85000 gp) if you want a masterwork base armor. Lets you teleport up to 3 squares to the other side of a wall you are adjacent to, daily, move action, no LoS.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Jade is often mistaken for a man when the undergrads read her abstracts.

So, I guess I should put what happens in town?

Jade arrives in a city she's only heard about! And it's a college town, too...

- Leech off her new friends, crash in their property, and occupy one of their rooms or their couch or something. For now. (This is awful because she'll drape her massive cloak somewhere very in the way and then when she's out for the day it will start to squirm as her familiar will start rearranging the massive collection of tools and weapons that hang inside it and make anyone squeamish very uncomfortable.)
- Go check out the academy. If it seems at all respectable, deliver her CV to the headmaster. Subtly inquire about funding for expeditions, and also, tenure. (It is Jade, so subtly isn't happening.)
- Visit the temple of Ioun. Technically speaking, Jade is involved with them but... well, let's just say, she's more into the general intent of the commandments than, uh, ecclesiastic duties.
- Get introduced to everyone other people in the party know here. Especially people who give the Stormbreakers jobs.
- Make sure Drago get that orb locked away somewhere that isn't his backpack, preferably with as many ways to suppress its powers as possible. No way are we travelling with that thing.
- Presuming the party is okay with this, make the academy's anthropology, archaeology, and history departments fight over Coaltongue's body and the used Imperial Tea Set. Although whoever ends up with them may want to hold off displaying until the war is over.
- Go shopping! Here's the list.
- Shanghai some undergrads (they'll work for nothing but experience and a reference letter, right?) and/or grad students (drat grant applications!) into researching TRUE FAX about the Heart of History. Comb the archives, raid tombs, dig through dusty collections of artifacts and journals in dead languages in cobwebbed storage closets, etc. (invest 20000 gold)
- See if she can find someone who can set her Ring of Retreat to somewhere safe. Sure, it's useless as long as teleporting sets you on fire, but maybe soon...

I also have an updated wishlist and power selection for Level 19, but I have to double-check the character builder when I get home, or more likely, tomorrow.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Retrain Blade of Repulsion to Glamor Blade
19: Lose Swordmage Shielding Fire, gain Temple of Brilliance

I too will require something for Glamor Blade

edit: Level 19 Character Sheet

NEW WISHLIST:
Gear:
Feyweave Dawn Warrior Armor +4 (20)
Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier) (20)
Death Mark Heavy Flail +5 (23)
Cloak of Distortion +5 (24)
Efreetweave Greater Armor of Eyes +5 (24)

Cool Stuff:
Moran's Eye (14)
Solitaire (Aquamarine) (16)
Foe Binder Ring (19)
Exodus Knife (paragon tier) (13)
Salve of Power (heroic tier) (10)
Hedge Wizard's Gloves (4)

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 22, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

So next time, Erik finds out that you can tell people their souls are free, but that just means you can't stop them giving them away?

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 30, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Jade would suggest that perhaps we could buy and learn travel rituals to sidestep this soul problem. Or for when something inevitably goes wrong with the soul sled. In theory we could have a flying ghost, ghost horse with Phantom Steed and Shadow Walk and Arcana-boosting consumables. Or if we want a cheaper but slower solution, just try Eagle's Flight.

Question above related.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I am unsure if I am able to attend or if I might show up fairly late (or on time), if people are there and I am not please start without me.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Funny story about yesterday.

I got home early, like 5:30, and was very relieved that I had arrived in time for D&D at 8! So relieved that I had time to do other things. So I cooked myself a real dinner, made tomorrow's lunch, and even baked muffins for the week. Then I decided to get ahead on my readings for school and actually do them in advance, so I spent some time taking notes on the papers I found for my term paper, and then capped it off by reading the next three chapters of the power engineering book. I went to bed at a nice and early 11 PM and got a full night's sleep for once.

I woke up at 6 AM this morning in a cold sweat with the realization that I had forgot D&D.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Never wake up in a cold sweat about d and d

You are a far wiser man than I.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Just got on the train home, might be somewhat late. No need to delay for me.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I'm running late. Again. Sorry!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I will be there. Can't really go out on a Monday in the middle of midterms.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

We hit 20 mid-session, if anyone doesn't have their feat picked might be a good idea for next session.

Herr Tog posted:

Everyone recommend me a comic book.

I have never read a comic book.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Make sure you use her daily where she smacks a dude and then Drago or Capmor get to use an encounter power and automatically hit with it!

We used a lot of things tonight but I actually think we may have missed this one somehow.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I will not be available the coming Monday, just FYI.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

See you guys today?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

mumble is down forever apparently

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797779

Apparently all you have to do is edit the old server url in mumble.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I am unavailable tomorrow evening, just fyi.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Jade
ED: Sage of Ages
Feat 21: Rapid Aegis Reaction
Retraining 21: Gain: Total Aegis (Lose: Double Aegis)

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 2, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I am available tuesday, wednesday and thursday evenings this week.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

New Jade Character Sheet e: Updated after items

New Wishlist
Gear:
Many-Fingered Gloves (20)
Siberys Shard of Radiance (epic tier) (23)
Legendary Heavy Flail +5 (25)
Cloak of Distortion +5 (24)
Efreetweave Greater Armor of Eyes +5 (24)

Cool Stuff:
Moran's Eye (14)
Staff of Psicraft +3 (15)
Solitaire (Aquamarine) (16)
Ring of the Radiant Storm (17)
Elixir of Aptitude (paragon tier) (15) (multiples)
Talent Shard (level 18) (18) (multiples)

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 11, 2017

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

kaynorr posted:

I'm kind of terrified as to what a completely optimized Erik could do. I look forward to it.

Game is on as far as I'm concerned, unless a couple of folks can't make it. And as promised (if a little late), here are your current bank accounts for shopping purposes:

Erik, 125662 GP + 25000 worth of residuum
Capmor, 149465 GP
Novorath, 49904 GP
Drago, 145760 GP
Jade, 93714 GP

As a point of comparison, a level 20 magic item costs 125000 GP.

Does that include the 7k of investment credit I have banked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

kaynorr posted:

Jade, 93714 GP

Okay so, 93714-7000 = 86714. I'm probably going to invest 86000 of it.

That means 7000 + 86000*0.7 = 67200 of post-investment money.

Shopping List:
Solitaire (Quartz Lens) (heroic tier) (1000)
Vicious Heavy Flail +1 (520)
upgrade Incisive Dagger +2 (4200) to Incisive Dagger +3 (21000) (16800)
Salve of Power (heroic tier) (10) (5000)
Hedge Wizard's Gloves (4) (840)
Siberys Shard of Radiance (paragon tier) (13) (17000)
Gambler's Eight (14) (21000)
=62160

Leaving 714 gp and 5040 investment credit.

On a related subject, I need to find Seaquen's most boring bard.

• Locked thread