Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

even better (but not quite)

lol i have access to both these items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

``...an explosion in the engine room ... would have destroyed a lesser ship''
forgive me POS for i have sinned

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Haswell-E-Processor-Multipliers-BX80648I75820K/dp/B00MMLXIKY

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

program666 posted:

For the price it's not that great of a upgrade, it doesn't do anything that much better than my old 7200 rpm drive.

lol what

are you sure you installed it right

did you put it on a sata-1 port?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
what's your workload exactly

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

program666 posted:

For the price it's not that great of a upgrade, it doesn't do anything that much better than my old 7200 rpm drive.
you done hosed up

hdd -> ssd is the best upgrade ive gotten in the past decade

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

program666 posted:

hey guys this guy is bad at computers

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

lol what

are you sure you installed it right

did you put it on a sata-1 port?
My gryphon only have those 6GB/s sata. My boot is much shorter but I do this once a day so who cares. Also yeah, opening big programs like firefox is much faster too but I also only do that once a day. The biggest benefit for me is reducing 2 or 3 seconds on game's loading screens, so yeah, it's kind of a waste of money.

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

coffeetable posted:

what's your workload exactly

wasting money? tbh the motivation was more i could give my last cpu/mobo/ram away as an upgrade for someone else, giving me a guilt-free chance to upgrade!

can't even pretend it's going to be relevant to my compiler research work

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

program666 posted:

My gryphon only have those 6GB/s sata. My boot is much shorter but I do this once a day so who cares. Also yeah, opening big programs like firefox is much faster too but I also only do that once a day. The biggest benefit for me is reducing 2 or 3 seconds on game's loading screens, so yeah, it's kind of a waste of money.

idgi, that sounds like a pretty good upgrade - what other component would get you that much improvement for your £££s?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Isambard K. Brunel posted:

idgi, that sounds like a pretty good upgrade - what other component would get you that much improvement for your £££s?
I think even upgrading RAM memory speeds is less worthless and that will get you only like 5 FPS in the few games that actually bottleneck there.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

program666 posted:

not just loading screens, loading in game, too

and your pagefile is faster so unless you have 32gb of ram it's probably helping with that too

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

pram posted:

guess it was this op

want to see mStand, m'lady?

Isambard K. Brunel
Nov 2, 2011

program666 posted:

upgrading RAM memory speeds

huh! i thought that was circa-2006 advice, and RAM is RAM now (this having just bought something which necessitates DDR4, loving self-owned)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Isambard K. Brunel posted:

huh! i thought that was circa-2006 advice, and RAM is RAM now (this having just bought something which necessitates DDR4, loving self-owned)

ram is ram now

make sure the speeds match across all your sticks and the voltage is compatible with your motherboard and that's it

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

ram is ram now

make sure the speeds match across all your sticks and the voltage is compatible with your motherboard and that's it
I meant, upgrading from 1600 memory sticks to 2133 for example is less worthless and that's pretty worthless.

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013

program666 posted:

I meant, upgrading from 1600 memory sticks to 2133 for example is less worthless and that's pretty worthless.

but ram speed doesnt bottleneck anything and hdd speed bottlenecks everything. idg how thats worthless

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

program666 posted:

lol

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
lol yeah buddy idk how you use your computer but going ssd is the best upgrade there is

i mean everything is so drat faster

maybe you should reconsider your needs so it can fit them

like p much everything is too fast for 7200rpm drive these days, you spend at least 40-50% of time waiting for your hdd to catch up

i challenge you to go back to your lovely hard drive in 3 months and be amazed at how slow it is

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

program666 posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
It's the only computer upgrade you'll notice without a benchmark or fps counter

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

btw lol if you dont notice a big diff in hdd -> ssd (a pretty good one too) but you notice a change in going 1600 -> 2133 (lollll)

i reduced my CAS by 1!! everything is so much faster now!

"everything was very fast except for that drat ram throughput! man it took so long to fill and access that ram!" said no one ever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Like that's the problem right your 3d mark numbers didn't go up enough?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

for fucks sake my macbook air with a lovely 15w i5 felt faster than my "real i7" imac before i upgraded the drive

program666
Aug 22, 2013

well maybe it's how I use my PC, when I work I go to linux and just open firefox and a terminal and vim, when I'm having fun I go to windows and just open firefox and sometimes a game.
I'm seriously not feeling that the upgrade benefited me that much. Maybe I should install some Office suite.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

It sounds like your needs are suited by a chrome book

program666
Aug 22, 2013

of course I do other stuff but that's like 90% of my pc use, and I really doubt a chrome book would be able to run games at max settings with AA forced through nvidia inspector, so no anyway.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sometimes i do a big download and then i want to move it to a different computer so i grab some lovely usb flash drive i have lying around and copy it on and it's transferring at like 2mb/s and i'm like "downloading this over the internet from half way around the world a second time on the destination computer would literally be faster than loading these cyberspace bits onto a meatspace thing and carrying them five feet like some sort of loving animal"

i remember going to my dad's office at the university when i was little and downloading poo poo at 120kb/sec and that was like the internet connection of the gods

tbf tho even today there are very few things that would annoy me if they had to be downloaded at 120kb/s. except hi def youtube videos i guess.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

hi guys i bought a retina macbook pro

ok well that's it for me bye!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

It's the only computer upgrade you'll notice without a benchmark or fps counter

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

program666 posted:

of course I do other stuff but that's like 90% of my pc use, and I really doubt a chrome book would be able to run games at max settings with AA forced through nvidia inspector, so no anyway.
oh okay you're a "gamer" no wonder your opinion is terrible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my antialiasing!!!

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

lol if u use more than 2x aa in 1920x1080

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i use 0 aa in 2560x1440 and it looks p good

sometime my card can manage 2x AA though

but lol 2xSSAA at 2560x1440 means rendering at 5120x2880

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Martytoof posted:

congratulations + welcome to the pro tier

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

program666 posted:

well maybe it's how I use my PC, when I work I go to linux and just open firefox and a terminal and vim, when I'm having fun I go to windows and just open firefox and sometimes a game.
I'm seriously not feeling that the upgrade benefited me that much. Maybe I should install some Office suite.

yeah when i want to have fun i open firefox too. makes me laugh like crazy op

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

srsly tho if windows and firefox are your idea of fun you might not have any idea what fun is

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Martytoof posted:

I bought a car, that has eaten my rMBP money for a month or so :(

I'm still undecided if I want a nice shiny portable stebemachine with a decent amount of power & portability, or spend the same on a new homebrew desk PC and get Mac Pro benchmark numbers on the cheap.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
firefox is a good web browser and chrome is a piece of trash developed by an advertising company

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

firefox is a good web browser

for idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

unable to spot the most basic ssd trolling itt

• Locked thread