Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Is burning arrow viable? Considering a bow build because of that 'projectiles return to you' mod that you can add to bows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Infinite Monkeys posted:

'projectiles return to you'

that sounds dangerous :ohdear:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No this way you'll have infinite arrows. Think about it.

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
I also like the % of elemental damage life leech as well.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Just something to keep in mind because I see a lot of people wanting to play CI, you have to have a plan for leveling. You don't want to spec into CI until very late game, and want at least 4k ES when you do. I actually prefer 5k+. You also need freeze immunity, but can get it cheaply using wanderlusts until you can afford something like dream frags. Then use cast on stun / immortal call if you don't have stun immunity.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
A while back I did a glacial hammer/molten strike templar with a mace and shield in whatever the previous hardcore league was. Used splash-prolif-weapon ele for glacial and multistrike-weapon ele-melee phys-life leech for molten strike. It was a lot of fun to alternate between freezing things and spewing rocks everywhere, but I got the feeling that the damage was going to flatline before the end game. Never found out because the league ended and I quit playing.

Is it viable to do a 1 hand elemental melee build? I really like mace/shield templars because they can survive almost anything, but damage seems like kind of a struggle.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Want to farm Piety for my first character, probably going for low life Freezing Pulse Witch. Lunaris doesn't have chaos damage and I can always get Solaris Lorica anyway. All cold spells have been buffed considerably and I really want to use wondertrap for some cheap farming early in the league. This might be retarded to do early in the league but from what I tested on TW Garena servers you can start stacking ES pretty effectively in Normal difficulty with the new passive tree.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I think the new softcore league will have invasion bosses too, not just the hardcore one. That will make "this zone doesn't have X enemies" strategies a bit riskier.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

From garena, I only ran into two invasion bosses on standard and they were always in the same general area. Chaos leaper in sarn sewers and ES snake in the riverways. I didnt play that much so there are probably a lot of them that I missed, but it did look like they were in predetermined places so it should be possible to plan for them. ES snake was also hella toned down.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'd like some tips about elemental wander. On the forums I've seen people talk about how it got hurt really bad by the aura nerfs, so should you combine the wand stuff with something else?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You should probably go phys wand if you want a wand spec. Phys wand got massively buffed with the new tree, wont be that hard to get started with and can scale up exceptionally well to endgame.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

TheRat posted:

You should probably go phys wand if you want a wand spec. Phys wand got massively buffed with the new tree, wont be that hard to get started with and can scale up exceptionally well to endgame.

Isn't ele wander viable then? I kinda wanna run a lot of auras, I haven't tried that before at all.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Its still viable, and probably cheaper. And you can fairly easily change to phys wand if you feel like it after playing a while. Phys wander is more expensive but has higher potential.

Running a lot of auras will be more difficult though with the nerf to aura nodes.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The base game is getting increased monster variety in all zones which means chaos will show up more often, no zone is truly safe.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Strongboxes are in the hardcore league now, cool.

TheRat posted:

From garena, I only ran into two invasion bosses on standard and they were always in the same general area. Chaos leaper in sarn sewers and ES snake in the riverways. I didnt play that much so there are probably a lot of them that I missed, but it did look like they were in predetermined places so it should be possible to plan for them. ES snake was also hella toned down.

Yeah, there are five listed in the patch notes.

Grammaton fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 19, 2014

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So I haven't played in awhile, but decided to jump back in with a variety of characters I've been playing. What's new?

Summoner Witch:
Does this still work fundamentally the same? Last I played I had my spectres as DPS with zombie shields and a totem to cast skeletons. I've seen talk of other new summons as well? Any other big changes to it?

Spark Templar:
Cast totems that shoot sparks. Not using CI. Still viable?

Lightning Arrow Ranger:
This class has never actually seemed very good. Do they still suck? Is there a better way?

Melee McBuff Guy:
Hitting stuff with a big 2her and lots of life leech. Can't imagine it changed too much?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

BitterAvatar posted:

Summoner Witch:
Does this still work fundamentally the same? Last I played I had my spectres as DPS with zombie shields and a totem to cast skeletons. I've seen talk of other new summons as well? Any other big changes to it?

There's Raging Spirits (up to 50 little skulls that have a limited life span like skeletons) and Animate Weapon/Guardian (consume items on ground to make a minion, not terribly popular). More support skills: Desecrate (chaos AoE and spawn corpses), Flesh Offering (consume corpse to increase minion * speed), Bone Offering (consume corpse to add spell/attack block chance to minions) and Convocation (teleport minions back to you, grant them life regen). Snapshotting has gone away though (good riddance).

BitterAvatar posted:

Spark Templar:

Spark is getting buffed and the support gems typically used are having their mana multipliers dropped. Would want to look at the left half of the new skill tree to see where the totem passives are now.

BitterAvatar posted:

Lightning Arrow Ranger:
This class has never actually seemed very good. Do they still suck? Is there a better way?

There's 1 new bow skill coming (Tornado Shot), but who knows how good it will be.

BitterAvatar posted:

Melee McBuff Guy:
Hitting stuff with a big 2her and lots of life leech. Can't imagine it changed too much?

There's now Molten Strike (basically ground slam with fireballs and no weapon restrictions). It's pretty boss.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

BitterAvatar posted:

So I haven't played in awhile, but decided to jump back in with a variety of characters I've been playing. What's new?

Summoner Witch:

Snap shotting won't work anymore as of 1.2.0. A number of spectres that were very useful have been nerfed in the past, like Burning Miscreations. Zombies will have 13% more life, spectres will have less penalties and skeletons will do more damage according to the latest patch notes. Should still be good, especially for a first character.

quote:

Spark Templar:

Spark has been buffed recently, it won't be as strong as spork builds during open beta but you can always replace spark with lightning ball or arc if it doesn't work out so you can't go wrong with that.

quote:

Lightning Arrow Ranger:

Bows in general will be buffed. I tested lightning arrow last league and it was alright but nothing special, in my experience.

quote:

Melee McBuff Guy:

Not that I'm aware of. Molten strike is a really good new skill for melee builds.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the earlier input guys, it's appreciated. Just gotta find a balance between HP and ES now for my ranger. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grammaton posted:

Hey good point. I was going the other route for the extra endurance charge but I can just tack that on and save 1 point, unless I decide to hit those 5 mace damage nodes up to Skull Cracking, then I'll have to go up the left path. Such as: https://www.poebuilder.com/characte...ho4p4SQVcAaWfM=

Is health no longer a major priority? I was just making minor tweaks to your layout but after getting the two main keystones I'd star moving towards that ring of life between marauder and scion. Proibably coming up in to it from below since that puts you closer to things like Iron Reflexes and the big evasion/resist boosting passive right by the circle. You can then grab the attack speed nodes once you want to start working on DPS as well.

My last build was axe-based so I don't know the mace locations as well, but maybe something like this as a long term goal?

https://www.poebuilder.com/characte...sCmiiJ89cDzW68=

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

whypick1 posted:

There's Raging Spirits (up to 50 little skulls that have a limited life span like skeletons) and Animate Weapon/Guardian (consume items on ground to make a minion, not terribly popular). More support skills: Desecrate (chaos AoE and spawn corpses), Flesh Offering (consume corpse to increase minion * speed), Bone Offering (consume corpse to add spell/attack block chance to minions) and Convocation (teleport minions back to you, grant them life regen). Snapshotting has gone away though (good riddance).

Spark is getting buffed and the support gems typically used are having their mana multipliers dropped. Would want to look at the left half of the new skill tree to see where the totem passives are now.

There's 1 new bow skill coming (Tornado Shot), but who knows how good it will be.

There's now Molten Strike (basically ground slam with fireballs and no weapon restrictions). It's pretty boss.

Never actually used snapshotting so no worries there, but too bad about the burning miscreations, they were my favorite. My spark guy is only level 20 so I never got to see the previous advantages of it, so no loss there. I will have to get Molten Strike because I was definitely using ground slam extensively.

Ekster posted:

Snap shotting won't work anymore as of 1.2.0. A number of spectres that were very useful have been nerfed in the past, like Burning Miscreations. Zombies will have 13% more life, spectres will have less penalties and skeletons will do more damage according to the latest patch notes. Should still be good, especially for a first character.

Spark has been buffed recently, it won't be as strong as spork builds during open beta but you can always replace spark with lightning ball or arc if it doesn't work out so you can't go wrong with that.

Bows in general will be buffed. I tested lightning arrow last league and it was alright but nothing special, in my experience.

I will have to see if I have spares of Arc and Ball Lightning to try out if Spark loses it's appeal. Sounds like arrows are still just mediocre. Oh well.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm telling you all that you want to be playing cast on critical barrage wand user. Something like https://poebuilder.com/character/AA...jpYTZIj9o19MHw=

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2014

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is health no longer a major priority?

Yeah it still is for a bloodmagic groundslammer, for sure. Here's what I came up with last night: https://poebuilder.com/character/AA...eMaOKeEkFXAGlnz This is based on ZiggyD's build someone posted earlier.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
https://poebuilder.com/character/AA...QVirHb3MfqMNlVL

My tentative Tornado shot build

I need to trim off 5 points though at the minimum. Probably closer to 10. I am torn on staying pure evasion or going IR. I don't know if point blank works with tornado shot or not either. If it's based off of the initial projectile only, then point blank will own. If not, then those points need to be removed.

I don't know if I need the pierce nodes or not, or how projectile return even works in general. I'm so god awful with bow builds and understanding how this stuff works. Gonna run herald of ash I think. Not sure what gems are best for tornado shot but it shouldn't be too tough to figure out.

A lot of problems for me stem from not knowing enough about Tornado shot.

Badgerpoo
Oct 12, 2010
I'm torn between playing another summoner which was fun last time, or something with freezing pulse. Are there any good builds for either of these?

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
How about FP Summoner? https://poebuilder.com/character/AA...J2uFm8kqjbp42o=

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am starting to play this game and I looked at a couple of the builds in the OP, they don't seem to say which abilities I should socket, I was looking at the Marauder Blood Magic build, does it matter what skills I socket? Will it all start to make sense as I get to higher levels?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Reason posted:

I am starting to play this game and I looked at a couple of the builds in the OP, they don't seem to say which abilities I should socket, I was looking at the Marauder Blood Magic build, does it matter what skills I socket? Will it all start to make sense as I get to higher levels?

Some builds it won't matter, and some it will. Just depends on the build. When it matters for a build that information will usually be included in the build name. In this case the only things the build are referring to are class (marauder) and a keystone passive (bood magic).

Builds often refer to keystones (blood magic, chaos innoculation), class, skill/support gems, and/or key unique items.

For instance an Ice Spear Pyre Elemental Proliferation Templar is, skill (ice spear), Pyre (unique item), Elemental proliferation (support gem).

The Wiki (just google poe wiki) is an invaluable resource here.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Freeze Pulse doesn't play so nice with zombies/spectres as you need corpses and if FP crits the corpses will shatter. I always liked arc as it has the built in chain effect, and you just link it to item rarity and culling strike to let your minions do most of the work. No need to put very many points into spell damage.

Full Scion summoner build. It has a decent amount of life, all the minion nodes, dual curses with 100% increased duration, and some extra block/shield defenses.

All of the shockwave totem builds on the forums all seem way out of date. Is it now worth going into crit since they benefit from spell damage or is just better to pile on as much cast speed as possible?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Elswyyr posted:

Isn't ele wander viable then? I kinda wanna run a lot of auras, I haven't tried that before at all.

Definitely still viable as Rat said. Hell, might even be better because elemental nodes got buffed, and the new wand nodes are loving amazing. Grab the wand nodes that are "x% increased damage," as that buffs all damage. You're going to need the majority of all the reduced reservation nodes, and definitely going to need an alpha's howl. High level AA combined with EB is still going to be your best bet for defense.

There's a guy in standard that makes incredible wanders and crafts the most amazing poo poo ever. Kaiseran or something like that. I'll look it up to double check when I get home. I guarantee he will have a 1.2 ele wander build very shortly, if he doesn't have one already.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

10bux posted:

There's a guy in standard that makes incredible wanders and crafts the most amazing poo poo ever. Kaiseran or something like that. I'll look it up to double check when I get home. I guarantee he will have a 1.2 ele wander build very shortly, if he doesn't have one already.

Yeah I've been reading his threads actually, but he didn't seem to have anything ready yet.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Bugsy posted:

Freeze Pulse doesn't play so nice with zombies/spectres as you need corpses and if FP crits the corpses will shatter. I always liked arc as it has the built in chain effect, and you just link it to item rarity and culling strike to let your minions do most of the work. No need to put very many points into spell damage.

Agreed, but you always have free corpses with Desecrate.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Holy gently caress, I did not read the changes to Critical Weakness.

"Life and mana on kill have been added. There's now a chance to gain a power charge when you kill an enemy. This curse has also been renamed to Assassin's Mark."

This was already one of the best gems in the game IMO, and arguably the one that adds the most DPS.

I know some of you are planning on playing Lightning Arrow or Tornado Arrow. If this is the case, you should strongly consider using Revelry and Assassin's Mark. Before, it was nearly impossible to sustain Lightning Arrow on mana alone unless you used Thief's Torment unique ring. +2 mana on hit is no where near the +15 from thiefs, but if you combine it with decent regen from EB perhaps, and the mana on kill, should be very sustainable. Mana on kill is a very under utilized mod, especially when leveling. It can turn a "pain in the rear end to level" skill, to very fun and effective. Just something to think about.

10bux fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 19, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't really get the difference between Phys wand and Ele wand. Weren't you trying to scale damage off flat ele damage auras in the past?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ele wander scales elemental damage off of auras and elemental rolls on weapon. Phys wander scales phys and elemental damage from phys wands and auras.

Elemental wander is cheaper, requires more points in aura nodes and has less damage potential at the end game.

E: I dont know how many auras you will be able to use in 1.2, but an ele wander might use anger/wrath/haste while a phys wander might use hatred/haste. Defensive/regen auras not included in this example.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 19, 2014

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Phys wander will likely be using Herald of Ash over Haste, the lesser mana reservation and scaling with base phys damage should make it very strong. Haste is pretty hard to use as a wander due to the insane mana costs of PS with all the standard links.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I havent looked at the heralds yet so you might be right, but keep in mind that a lot of gems have had their mana cost reduced, and theres a lot of mana available in the tree now.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Oh Garena...

Hauki
May 11, 2010

re: bow chat, I've been screwing around with a crit ice shot build in irc, figure I'll throw it up here for more feedback or if anyone else is interested.

http://poeurl.com/yXAqcPN is what I'm looking at right now, I'll probably take Revelry while leveling, and I'd like to hit Charisma since I'm planning on using Hatred/Herald of Ice, but that might be a respec late game when I pick up an Alpha's or whatever.

links are looking like ice shot - lmp - chain - ele prolif - phys projectile - wed probably in that order,
frenzy - physical projectile - life leech - added fire/wed/icd
hatred - reduced mana - herald of ice
assassin's mark - faster casting
whatever cwdt setup, if I had pierce I'd do frost wall but I'll play around with that.
Grab the biggest pdps/crit bow I can find, and hopefully go to town.
I've been trying to do some preliminary testing on standard, but the tree is so different, some of the supports I'm using have a significantly higher cost right now, I don't have assassin's mark obviously and don't really have good pdps bow gear to test with. Also, ice shot isn't nearly as good right now as it will be tomorrow. Early results, I can one shot rooms with a mediocre bow, but I have a lot of mana issues to the point where I had to put mana leech in my links just to keep it up. Hopefully the lower support costs plus being able to have mana leech ele dmg on gear will help tremendously. Also having assassin's mark up plus revelry for mana on hit.
I might try and start a new dude on garena tonight just to check the early leveling process with the new patch there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
thats so sugoi

• Locked thread