Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Fighting Merveil with a summoner is a major bummer. She couldn't even kill me, but with the pillars/her nova instagibbing minions, and the adds distracting them when they are alive, it took like 15 minutes to kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I wanted to make a dual wield Scion. I was gonna start out with http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...Nluab6nEdVgQVeX Thoughts? There don't seem to be any of that build updated for Forsaken Masters.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So I'm testing out a dual-claw/molten strike Duelist for fun. So far I wreck everything and have Life gain on hit as a support for molten strike. What other support gems other than Multistrike are must haves with Molten Strike. I've never used it before.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Phayray posted:

Fighting Merveil with a summoner is a major bummer. She couldn't even kill me, but with the pillars/her nova instagibbing minions, and the adds distracting them when they are alive, it took like 15 minutes to kill her.

You want a backup spell so that you can kill things alongside your summons, or when it's difficult to keep summons alive. I used spark for the early levels.

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So I'm testing out a dual-claw/molten strike Duelist for fun. So far I wreck everything and have Life gain on hit as a support for molten strike. What other support gems other than Multistrike are must haves with Molten Strike. I've never used it before.

Weapon Elemental Damage. Faster Attacks if you're good on mana/life. If you're having mana issues Blood Magic with Life Leech is fine. Added Fire is also good.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Faster attacks, weapon elemental damage, melee physical damage are all good. also you probably wont need lgoh gem with decent leech claws.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Weapon Elemental Damage, Faster Attacks, Blood Magic, Power Charge on Crit if going crit, or Added Fire/Fire Penetration/Concentrated Effect if not crit.

And yeah even with out using claws I'm wrecking faces so far. Brutus went down in about 20 seconds at level 11. Looking at this framework for the build.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 22, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What level is about the point where I should start blowing alchemy orbs and stuff on items?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StashAugustine posted:

What level is about the point where I should start blowing alchemy orbs and stuff on items?

It's not so much about the level as the items themselves. I'd say that there's little shame in throwing alchs at chaos resistance rings or your preferred belts as early as level 35-40.

Weapons shouldn't be alched in general unless they have 5+ links. Similarly, chest armor. Hat/gloves/boots with 4S/4L are common enough that you can probably find or buy a rare one easier than you can craft one.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Don't alch anything under item level 61 (drops in 60+ zones, pick up an item on your cursor and open chat and type /itemlevel then hit enter. it'll show you the item level) you should only alch rings, amulets, and belts of types you'd actually use. And stash them if they aren't worth using, a full set of level 60-74 rares (helm, belt, boots, chest, gloves, amulet, two rings, two handed weapon/main hand/off hand/shield) sells to the vendor for a chaos orb (two orbs if the items are all unidentified, three orbs if they are all unidentified and have 20% quality.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes#Multiple_Rare_Items is helpful

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Is there any rhyme or reason to where / when the Masters will appear in a zone? I've got Haku most of the way through level 4 but haven't seen Vorici, Catarina or Vagan even once. Tora and Elreon I've only seen a handful of times. It's kind of frustrating because playing a EK Shadow I'd like to get Catarina up in there for options at ES gear and wands.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

MerrMan posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to where / when the Masters will appear in a zone? I've got Haku most of the way through level 4 but haven't seen Vorici, Catarina or Vagan even once. Tora and Elreon I've only seen a handful of times. It's kind of frustrating because playing a EK Shadow I'd like to get Catarina up in there for options at ES gear and wands.

In normal the masters are fixed to acts. Haku and Elreon in act 1, Tora and Catarina in act 2, Vorinci and Vagan in act 3. Starting in cruel any of them can show up anywhere. Zana is maps only.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Well OK, the worst strongbox so far has detonated corpses and popped an Exile nearby. I don't think this one can be much wor-"

:stonk:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Puh-lease. That thing doesn't even Ignite you or cast Storm Herald.

Strongbox Ice Nova though is a total dick.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

In normal the masters are fixed to acts. Haku and Elreon in act 1, Tora and Catarina in act 2, Vorinci and Vagan in act 3. Starting in cruel any of them can show up anywhere. Zana is maps only.

Cool, thanks. Cruel has been Haku all the way down again, but I guess that's just RNG rather than anything else. Thanks!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yep just the evil of rng going to town on your fun.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I haven't played this game in like a year, rolled a marauder in beyond and that new Mervil fight is SO cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Decided to come back to playing this when 1.2 hit. This game is in a much better place then it was at launch. The major balance issues seem to have been worked out because the difficulty isn't punishing to the point of being not fun. Like as a super casual, i'm making my way through cruel difficulty at a good pace without getting frustrated. The game is still hard for me but not to the point where I want to rage quit out like I did when I last played. I want to keep playing and the combat is addictive now.

The new redone boss fights are now really cool too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Decided to come back to playing this when 1.2 hit. This game is in a much better place then it was at launch. The major balance issues seem to have been worked out because the difficulty isn't punishing to the point of being not fun. Like as a super casual, i'm making my way through cruel difficulty at a good pace without getting frustrated.

I honestly think the game is a bit harder now than it was at 1.0 launch, due to the addition of stuff like corrupted vaults, invasion monsters/bosses, NPC exiles, etc. A lot of people bounced off it and declared it impossibly hard, but it really wasn't.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

whypick1 posted:

Puh-lease. That thing doesn't even Ignite you or cast Storm Herald.

Strongbox Ice Nova though is a total dick.

I had a flask which gets me out of frozen, otherwise that would have been a keyboard breaking RIP moment. Been advised I should try and have an extra 1000 health each difficulty (so 1k by the end of Normal, 2k by Cruel, etc) on Hardcore but we'll see how that goes. Not even completed my first normal run yet!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
So I've two level 30s now.

1. What stuff should I be keeping? I've been keeping gems and yellow stuff
2. 24 hours played and no unique stuff yet, normal?

A Handsome Goat
Apr 24, 2014

Ice Spear is so insane now. I've been rolling with just LMP + increased crit multi and I am just breezing through the game. I'm only in act 2 cruel atm but very difficult strongboxes combined with Beyond portals are as easy as just funneling the enemies in front of me and spam casting. 1 shotting blues and yellows without the elemental resist aura and freeze locking bosses is silly. Normal Dominus was incredibly easy in the first stage since I could freeze lock all the boss mob adds. I freeze locked cruel Merveil.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

thylacine posted:

1. Assuming you mean in your stash, those, utility flasks, maybe some res rings when you know you need them for bosses.
2. RNGesus just hates you.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

thylacine posted:

Question 1 is way more involved than you might think at first. Here's a reddit topic (I know, I know) that has a good breakdown for you:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1zxgg1/its_worth_keeping_if_v11all_leaguesitem_guide/

On armor, you're looking for sockets / links (always grab 6 socketed stuff) and then on rares you're looking for a combination of Life and Resistances. I've honestly still got no idea how to evaluate physical / elemental weapons since I've only made spellcasters so far.

That thread is for the previous patch. 1.2 opens things up even more because you can take a rare that is awesome, but missing that one crucial stat and then craft it on there. This makes items that would have been 'trash' in 1.1 (say a ring that had a bunch of resistances, but no life) and bumps them up in to the totally fine range.

Other things to look out for: ALL 'superior' flasks and gems (sell 40% worth of quality at one time and get a Glassblower's Bauble / GCP. Some quality gems sell for $$$). Any item with linked R-G-B sockets (sells for a chrome). Any 6 socketed item (sells for 7 jewelers). I will usually pick up small blue items (rings, amulets, belts) to sell unidentified to prop up my transmutation count.

For 2, I'd say that's a little under normal. I've had about 3 drop in roughly the same amount of time, but when you're looking at things that rare it's hard to say for sure. You might throw on a little bit of Increased Item Rarity gear. I picked it up incidentally on a helmet and found a pretty good gold ring and it does make a small but noticeable difference.

MerrMan fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 22, 2014

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A Handsome Goat posted:

Ice Spear is so insane now. I've been rolling with just LMP + increased crit multi and I am just breezing through the game. I'm only in act 2 cruel atm but very difficult strongboxes combined with Beyond portals are as easy as just funneling the enemies in front of me and spam casting. 1 shotting blues and yellows without the elemental resist aura and freeze locking bosses is silly. Normal Dominus was incredibly easy in the first stage since I could freeze lock all the boss mob adds. I freeze locked cruel Merveil.

Yeah my pyre ice spear character doesn't work because ice spear crits just kill nearly anything they hit so the pyre ring means they leave no corpse to proliferate the massive burn damage. Rips right through bosses like they ain't poo poo tho.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

NecroMonster posted:

Don't alch anything under item level 61 (drops in 60+ zones, pick up an item on your cursor and open chat and type /itemlevel then hit enter. it'll show you the item level) you should only alch rings, amulets, and belts of types you'd actually use. And stash them if they aren't worth using, a full set of level 60-74 rares (helm, belt, boots, chest, gloves, amulet, two rings, two handed weapon/main hand/off hand/shield) sells to the vendor for a chaos orb (two orbs if the items are all unidentified, three orbs if they are all unidentified and have 20% quality.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes#Multiple_Rare_Items is helpful

If you're a phys based 2-hander user you should be alching rustic sashes for the phys weapon recipe. You can have a top tier levelling weapon from ~18 to the mid 50's by using that recipe every now and then. Past act 2 merciless though you'll want to be hunting out something with phys% and flat phys.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

NecroMonster posted:

So I've found one Master so far, did his mission and then he showed up in town. Does he stay there in terms of getting his daily mission again or does he have to be in the wild?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

You can see them again out and about in the same act. I don't think the game ever generates instances differently for a specific player. They'll just be in 20% of created instances or whatever it is.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

A Handsome Goat posted:

May you link your passive tree? That looks interesting.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BitterAvatar posted:

So I've found one Master so far, did his mission and then he showed up in town. Does he stay there in terms of getting his daily mission again or does he have to be in the wild?

You can only get daily missions from masters that are in your hideout.

You just have to totally scour every zone looking for the drat guys otherwise.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

NecroMonster posted:

You can only get daily missions from masters that are in your hideout.

You just have to totally scour every zone looking for the drat guys otherwise.

Well that sounds less than exciting. Guess it's time to scour Act 1 forever.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

BitterAvatar posted:

Don't worry about it, just play normally and you'll find them all in probably the same amount of time as it would take looking through every corner of every zone (And you'll level a lot quicker).

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

BitterAvatar posted:

I think the amount of rep or exp or whatever you get is based on the level of the zone you encounter the master in.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Say I want to create a blender character, aka somebody that dual wields super fast weapons and attacks at the speed of light. Would I be better off going with shadow or duelist or possibly another class?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

duelist for tanky/resolute technique, shadow for crit.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

This happened when I was doing a quest for the assassin guy:

The target spawned in a location you can't get to. Maybe the game is telling me to spec to a bow instead?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Eastwood posted:

This happened when I was doing a quest for the assassin guy:

The target spawned in a location you can't get to. Maybe the game is telling me to spec to a bow instead?

Woah, I guess a mobility skill gem is in order.

-

Summoning feels good, especially with my skelemen, but it proves to be a difficult profession for me when trying to keep the target alive for Master V-dude.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't gotten far enough in the new patch to meet the assassin yet, but how are you supposed to not kill someone if you are, say, a summoner?

Edit: ^Well, I guess that might answer my question.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't gotten far enough in the new patch to meet the assassin yet, but how are you supposed to not kill someone if you are, say, a summoner?

Edit: ^Well, I guess that might answer my question.

I'd suggest luring and holding off on using offerings or curses to stop your minions from massacring everything (mine hit especially hard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Can someone please talk me out of doing this?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...Ra_FE2iAPAfBLM=

skills are

glacial cascade - spell echo - elemental proliferation - increased area of effect (cold penetration)

herald of ice - reduced mana - increased area of effect - added cold damage

clarity - reduced mana

frostbite

I'm mental and this sounds stupid right?

edit: probably needs to take eb for the mana regen.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 23, 2014

• Locked thread