Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

wish rolling stone had failed to go electric

uh in my world, they kind of did. especially when they started and a long time after their site just sucked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

uh in my world, they kind of did. especially when they started and a long time after their site just sucked rear end
lol you willingly navigated to the rolling stone web site

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Amethyst posted:

you still haven't elaborated on your comments about originality

oh, upon relistening to the releases i found myself picking it apart more than enjoying it as a product
if you want to say his stuff is a pure original then i guess you can do that, but for me i feel like the influences are fairly pronounced, which is fine... they are good influences to have

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sham bam bamina! posted:

lol you willingly navigated to the rolling stone web site

yeah because i used to get the magazine before that and wanted to easily navigate the web to read rolling stone reviews. wasn't so smooth

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yeah because i used to get the magazine before that
uh thats even worse sorry

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Clavavisage posted:

oh, upon relistening to the releases i found myself picking it apart more than enjoying it as a product
if you want to say his stuff is a pure original then i guess you can do that, but for me i feel like the influences are fairly pronounced, which is fine... they are good influences to have

i didn't say he is pure original i specifically said this in response to your first post

Amethyst posted:

man music is a big long iterative congaline of borrowing and mutating

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sham bam bamina! posted:

uh thats even worse sorry

i know, i know... i didn't know any betterrrr....rrrr..rr.......rrrrr...rrr.....rrr...rrrr....rrrr...rrr....rrr...
...rrrrr...rrr.....rrr...rrrrrr........rr...rrr....rrr....rrr....rrr......rrrrr...rrr.....rrr...rrrrrrrr...rrr....
rrr....rrr.....rrr...rrrrr....rrr...rrr....rrr...

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Clavavisage posted:

okay so what this comes down to is that you admit you abused his music and it became meaningless and somehow sounded very derivative. thank you

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

okay so what this comes down to is that you admit you abused his music and it became meaningless and somehow sounded very derivative. thank you

the saturation of IDM artists in the early 00's sort of made alot of the music meaningless, ask richard devine

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
lets not argue over all this, here you can have one of my 26 mixes for cash chocolate coins warp sent me in 2003

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

IDM is the worst genre name.

was it invented by nine inch nails fans who liked aphex twin but not "techno crap"?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Clavavisage posted:

the saturation of IDM artists in the early 00's sort of made alot of the music meaningless, ask richard devine

IDM is not even close to a well-defined genre so i have no idea who you're referring to when you say IDM. some would say Autechre or Plaid is IDM, but neither of them sound like each other or Aphex Twin

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Amethyst posted:

IDM is the worst genre name.

was it invented by nine inch nails fans who liked aphex twin but not "techno crap"?

exactly this

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

(i was a nine inch nails fan who got into electronic music through that one aphex twin track on a NIN album)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i was an aphex twin fan who got into nin through aphex twin

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
any way that happened, the NIN to Aphex Twin doorway was a :krad: one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY&t=14s

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

any way that happened, the NIN to Aphex Twin doorway was a :krad: one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY&t=14s

yeah man i literally listened to this on a loop for hours as a childe

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ive never heard this song

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ive never heard this song

further down the spiral is a cool album, although it might not sound that good if you aren't a kid with zero exposure to electronic music

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

IDM is not even close to a well-defined genre so i have no idea who you're referring to when you say IDM. some would say Autechre or Plaid is IDM, but neither of them sound like each other or Aphex Twin

this is a p big problem for me cause i'm working through my music collection and properly tagging everything. i kind of solve it by using "(main genre)/(sub-genre)" for my genre tags but it's still vexing with idm cause like obviously autechre and telefon tel aviv are gonna be in different sub-genres of idm but idk what sub-genre

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this is a p big problem for me cause i'm working through my music collection and properly tagging everything. i kind of solve it by using "(main genre)/(sub-genre)" for my genre tags but it's still vexing with idm cause like obviously autechre and telefon tel aviv are gonna be in different sub-genres of idm but idk what sub-genre

this is a great example of why tagging your music is a big dumb waste of time

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
i like to put one or two related genres on shuffle. right now i just use filesystem directories for the same purpose but i'd like to get more fine grained and if everything's not tagged right i'll get TTV-type music when i want autechre-type music

(ask me about how i have 7 different sub-genres of ambient music in my taxonomy, not including dark ambient and drone, which are their own main genres and have their own sub-genres. i know ambient music way better tho so i'm more comfortable organizing it.)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i gave up a while ago and just use the google shuffle

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm listening to volume ii right now and i just made it to blue calx, thanks thread for reminding me of this very nice album. :)

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i'm listening to volume ii right now and i just made it to blue calx, thanks thread for reminding me of this very nice album. :)

it's good but man i get a little restless listening to it all in one sitting

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Miley Virus posted:

it's good but man i get a little restless listening to it all in one sitting
it's 1 am here which is the perfect time to listen to it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
btw anyone who doesnt like afx probaly likes pendulum or something

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ugh pendulum

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

no you dont have to play propane nightmares im good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would like it if there new afx were 20 analog remixes of sandstorm

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
someone gave me a nin cd that they "accidentally borrowed" from someone else years ago and i still have it and still have never listened to it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I like Nine Inch Nails and all but most of Trent's influences are way better than he is

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like Nine Inch Nails and all but most of Trent's influences are way better than he is

this is the best quality a juvenile music act can have

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hehe

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

his soundtrack work is p great though

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
james???

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

james???

ya??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

you rang ??

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here (1975)

Rating: Unfavorable
"Their treatment, though, is so solemn that you have to ask what the point is. If your use of the machinery isn't alive enough to transcend its solemn hum - even if that hum is your subject - then you're automatically trapped. In offering not so much as a hint of liberation, that's where this album leaves Pink Floyd." (Ben Edmonds, 11/6/75 Review)

Boards of Canada
The Campfire Headphase (2005)

Rating: 2 Stars
"On its third full-length album, this Scottish duo drops a mellow, mostly vocals-free mix of gentle synth swishes, analog pitter-patter and codeine-tempoed drum-machine beats. "Dayvan Cowboy" is a glacially pretty slow-burner, but most of the time Headphase is so sleepy it should come with Red Bull." (Christian Hoard, 11/17/05 Review)

from here

oh yeah

Drukqs
Aphex Twin
Drukqs (2001)

Rating: 1 Star
"With Drukqs, James delivers his most irrelevant album to date: a double CD, thirty-track compendium of indecipherable song titles, gratuitously weird sounds and occasional wisps of ersatz classical piano that are aimlessly pretty...Among fans of IDM, or Intelligent Dance Music, as this sort of stuff is unfortunately labeled, rumor has it that James merely loaded this record with outtakes that have been eating up space on his hard drive for years, then released the album as a deal-breaker with his label, Warp. Or perhaps the explanation for the incoherence of the album lies in its punny, unfunny title. Either way, he should never have done Drukqs, because his new noise mostly just sounds fukqed up." (Pat Blashill, 11/8/01 Review)

big media trying to stamp out the cornish language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUAJ8KLGqis

• Locked thread