Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I know Fale is IC champion but should he really be higher than Anderson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

At this point, probably.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DZwDzIZzY

where has this el desperado been in new japan? he even managed to do a spear that didn't look like poo poo. maybe they should take the mask off him since his facial expressions here are pretty good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

I know Fale is IC champion but should he really be higher than Anderson?

I wouldn't be thinking too hard about a chart that has the champion in a section marked Challengers.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
That chart reminded me that Hiromu Takahashi was still on excursion. Has anyone seen anything of him lately? I'm not up on my CMLL but he doesn't seem to be "out there" as much as Watanabe.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Observer's out:

quote:

Although still junior heavyweight weight wise, Kota Ibushi said he will not be looking for a rematch with Kushida for the IWGP jr. title and will compete from this point forward as a heavyweight. Kenny Omega, his longtime tag team partner in DDT, has said the same thing. Ibushi said that his goal is to win the IWGP heavyweight title as well as win next year’s G-1 Climax tournament that he missed this year due to a concussion. Ibushi said he’s legitimately 202 pounds, up from 189, although in Japan, the junior heavyweight limit is 220.

Dave expects a Styles/Tanahashi title match to headline King of Pro Wrestling.

This is just purely my own conjecture and nothing he said, but doesn't it look like Okada/Tanahashi VII will headline the Dome? I'm guessing Styles is going to drop it and I hope he does simply because we've already seen 4 main event matches involving Okada and Styles this year.

I'd personally prefer Okada/Nakamura or Nakamura/Styles, but it'll be somewhat fresh again since they've been smart enough to keep away from Okada/Tana this year and their matches are always great.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Spermgod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DZwDzIZzY

where has this el desperado been in new japan? he even managed to do a spear that didn't look like poo poo. maybe they should take the mask off him since his facial expressions here are pretty good.
I've been singing the praises of that feud for a year now, it's what made me super frustrated with pre-heel turn Desperado. The tag mask/hair match that came before this was great too.

I have high hopes for the Time Splitters feud.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Ibushi isn't exactly heavyweight weight class, but he's like Cesaro where he's just deceptively tough and strong. Ibushi can hang just fine with the heavyweight division, he's just about the exact same size as Tanahashi is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Observer's out:

Dave expects a Styles/Tanahashi title match to headline King of Pro Wrestling.

This is just purely my own conjecture and nothing he said, but doesn't it look like Okada/Tanahashi VII will headline the Dome? I'm guessing Styles is going to drop it and I hope he does simply because we've already seen 4 main event matches involving Okada and Styles this year.

I'd personally prefer Okada/Nakamura or Nakamura/Styles, but it'll be somewhat fresh again since they've been smart enough to keep away from Okada/Tana this year and their matches are always great.

I predict they will do something to make us think Tanahashi is winning, Dave will expect it, New Japan will tell him he doesn't understand wrestling and AJ retains!

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

That chart reminded me that Hiromu Takahashi was still on excursion. Has anyone seen anything of him lately? I'm not up on my CMLL but he doesn't seem to be "out there" as much as Watanabe.

He appears pretty frequently in CMLL trios as Kamaitachi. Seems like kind of a whatever guy to me but it's hard to get a good handle on how good a guy is in those matches.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Ibushi isn't exactly heavyweight weight class, but he's like Cesaro where he's just deceptively tough and strong. Ibushi can hang just fine with the heavyweight division, he's just about the exact same size as Tanahashi is.

I read through the tier chart (lol) just to see where all those guys are from, didn't know Ibushi was from Kagoshima (KYUUUUSHUUUU!!!), I bet when he speaks in his local dialect its nigh-on incomprehensible. and also god no wonder Lance Archer and Fale look so huge, I'd tower over the likes of Nakamura and Tanahashi myself. almost makes me want to get in shape and become a next-generation Stan Hansen.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MassRafTer posted:

I wouldn't be thinking too hard about a chart that has the champion in a section marked Challengers.

Well, the top tier is for aces. AJ Styles might be the champ, but he's not an ace.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Well, the top tier is for aces. AJ Styles might be the champ, but he's not an ace.

First of all, the joke is that he's the champion in a tier labeled challengers in a chart that is somehow supposed to be kayfabe. Second, You can't have three aces in a company. You can't have three in a deck. In wrestling there is one ace in a company and right now AJ Styles has an argument for being the best performer in NJPW. He wouldn't be considered an "ace" because he works limited dates but that chart is stupid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

First of all, the joke is that he's the champion in a tier labeled challengers in a chart that is somehow supposed to be kayfabe. Second, You can't have three aces in a company. You can't have three in a deck. In wrestling there is one ace in a company and right now AJ Styles has an argument for being the best performer in NJPW. He wouldn't be considered an "ace" because he works limited dates but that chart is stupid.

You can't have three aces in a company? Misawa/Kobashi/Taue/Kawada. Muta/Hashimoto/Chono.

And even if we have to narrow it to one ace, it's still certainly not AJ, it's Tanahashi.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

uh yeah you can have 3 aces in a deck, you just need a fourth as well.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I really hope Ibushi doesn't lose his mobility while bulking up. Some of the most threatening looking heavyweights like Shibata and Masato Tanaka are technically under the weight limit so gently caress it, really.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tonfa posted:

I really hope Ibushi doesn't lose his mobility while bulking up. Some of the most threatening looking heavyweights like Shibata and Masato Tanaka are technically under the weight limit so gently caress it, really.

Remember: Ishii is technically a Jr.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You can't have three aces in a company? Misawa/Kobashi/Taue/Kawada. Muta/Hashimoto/Chono.

And even if we have to narrow it to one ace, it's still certainly not AJ, it's Tanahashi.

Taue was never considered an ace by anybody, and neither was Hashimoto (hence him loving off elsewhere) until he started his own company. The other guys had their days in the sun, but Kawada in particular had to basically wait until Misawa was gone before he was AJPW's ace. And Kobashi didn't really get a chance to TRULY run with the ball until his historic reign in NOAH, when Misawa's age made him take a back seat. Also, Chono was a main-eventer but was never NJPW's ace. The difference between a main-eventer and an ace in Japan is like the difference between John Cena and any number of important guys like Orton and Bryan. If the latter two get hurt, the WWE panics. If Cena does, they panic and start running around declaring the sky is falling.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The top 3 guys in NJPW are definitely on a more pushed level than anyone else though. They're the centerpieces of the company's marketing and featured on all the posters. Even on the BOSJ poster Tana, Okada, and Shinsuke were front and center while the guys actually in the tournament had smaller head shots off to the side.

Tana definitely seemed to be "the ace" in 2012-2013, but all three of their top stars seem on a fairly equal level now. All three are capable of main eventing a show but I can't remember a main event without any of them involved since I started watching in 2012.

I'm not familiar enough with '90s AJPW/ 2000's NOAH outside of isolated really great matches to comment on how their situation compared.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 11, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

The top 3 guys in NJPW are definitely on a more pushed level than anyone else though and are the centerpiece of their marketing and featured on all the posters. Even on the BOSJ poster Tana, Okada, and Shinsuke were front and center while the guys actually in the tournament had smaller head shots off to the side.

Tana definitely seemed to be "the ace" in 2012-2013, but all three of their top stars seem on a fairly equal level now. All three are capable of main eventing a show but I can't remember a main event without any of them involved since I started watching in 2012.

Things have definitely changed in Japanese wrestling in general, but in the 90's you pretty much had every company designating one guy as their ace.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Taue was never considered an ace by anybody, and neither was Hashimoto (hence him loving off elsewhere) until he started his own company. The other guys had their days in the sun, but Kawada in particular had to basically wait until Misawa was gone before he was AJPW's ace. And Kobashi didn't really get a chance to TRULY run with the ball until his historic reign in NOAH, when Misawa's age made him take a back seat. Also, Chono was a main-eventer but was never NJPW's ace.
Who the gently caress was New Japan's 90s ace in your mind if it wasn't Hash?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

Who the gently caress was New Japan's 90s ace in your mind if it wasn't Hash?

Mutoh? Or Fujinami(for the early 90's anyway)? I mean Hash in retrospect had more success than I remember him having, so you could make an argument for him too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I told my wife I wanted a Bullet Club shirt for my birthday and she then went on a tirade about how ugly it is.

Well yeah it's ugly, but it's so ugly it loops around again to be great. That's the point :colbert:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I told my wife I wanted a Bullet Club shirt for my birthday and she then went on a tirade about how ugly it is.

Well yeah it's ugly, but it's so ugly it loops around again to be great. That's the point :colbert:

sever

e; i'll probably never get tired of okada/tana matches but i was hoping to maybe see nakamura/styles. oh well, c'est la vie

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 11, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Joey McChrist posted:

sever

e; i'll probably never get tired of okada/tana matches but i was hoping to maybe see nakamura/styles. oh well, c'est la vie

Yeah, I'd have preferred it to be a new matchup, but gently caress it, it's a matchup that's already gave us two five-star matches, including my favourite match of all time (Invasion Attack 2013). Complaining about it just feels like biting the hand that feeds me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

It really is an ugly shirt, though. Its looks like an MMA fighter's walkout shirt.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's a great match but I feel like I could go another year without seeing Okada/Tanahashi again. Give me something new and exciting.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 11, 2014

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I don't think Tanahashi is going to beat Styles again

triplexpac posted:

tell her you want the one with blood on it because it makes it ten times cooler

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

A little historical gem: Nakamura vs Shibata...ten years ago.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

That Nakamura hoodie towel on Yottsume's site is boss as gently caress and I need you guys to talk me out of buying one.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fauxhawk Express posted:

That Nakamura hoodie towel on Yottsume's site is boss as gently caress and I need you guys to talk me out of buying one.

you will have less money if you buy one

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Fauxhawk Express posted:

if you only buy one, you won't have two

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
We're one week away from Destruction in Kobe!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

TheUnderbossVerified account ‏@TOKSFALE

映画デビューしました!みんな見てね!#bulletclub got a small part in this major Japanese movie #soyouknowitsreal http://instagram.com/p/tAzaqTOK9K/

Just found out about this, what's the name of the movie in romanji? Wouldn't mind checking it out if it becomes possible in the future.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
When do 4th Jan Dome show tickets go on sale?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

they just released info about that today - http://www.njpw.co.jp/news/detail.php?nid=12365

general sale october 18 and earlier pre-sales for fanclub or something

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

Just found out about this, what's the name of the movie in romanji? Wouldn't mind checking it out if it becomes possible in the future.

I ran the Kanji through a translator and it roughly translated to "hey I was in my first movie"

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Has there been any word/rumour/anything on a new iPPV arrangement? I swear to god if I can't get my fix I'm going to go nuts

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!

masato tatanka posted:

they just released info about that today - http://www.njpw.co.jp/news/detail.php?nid=12365

general sale october 18 and earlier pre-sales for fanclub or something

Cool. Thanks. I might be in Tokyo in January so might try to get tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

:hellyeah:

The collection begins.

• Locked thread