Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Holy poo poo, ***** for Tanahashi/Shibata. I sure didn't see that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I wouldn't have called five stars but I knew he was going to absolutely love it, that match was Dave's taste through and through.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Dunbar posted:

What else did Dave rate?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

I wouldn't have called five stars but I knew he was going to absolutely love it, that match was Dave's taste through and through.

He actually said he didn't like how stiff it was and thought they could have dialed back.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I figured it would get the ****3/4 based on his praise and complaints from the podcast. I personally preferred AJ/MiSu and Okada/Nakamura partially because I was lucky enough to see those live. It was a great match though and I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention in the MOTYC thread. I still need to make my nominations from those shows...

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What else did Dave rate?

Ishii and Hooligans vs. Yujiro and Bucks - ***1/4
Shelley/BUSHI/Maximo vs. Suzuki-gun juniors - *1/4
Ten-Cozy/Liger/Honma vs. Nagata/Nakanishi/TMIV/Captain - ***
YTR/Saku vs. MiSu/Iizuka - ***
KUSHIDA vs. Taguchi - ****
Naito/Ibushi vs. Styles/Tonga - ****
MGKA/Gallows vs. Okada/YOSHI-HASHI - ***1/2
Makabe vs. Goto - ****1/4
Tana vs. Shibata - FIVE STARS
Shinsuke vs. Fale - ***3/4

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 25, 2014

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

He actually said he didn't like how stiff it was and thought they could have dialed back.

Didn't mean the stiffness so much as the everything else: crowd heat, style, structure, pacing etc. Dave is all about heated, fast paced, 'realistic' (i.e. meets an arbitrary standard of what looks overly cooperative), super athletic matches.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 25, 2014

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dunbar posted:

It told a good story, and Dave loves him some Tanahashi, so I'm only slightly shocked.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

I already forgot what the new fize size and stuff is.

150x150 and 100kb

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Thauros posted:

I figured it would get the ****3/4 based on his praise and complaints from the podcast. I personally preferred AJ/MiSu and Okada/Nakamura
I totally agree, and actually on first watch I would have ranked it below Naito/Ishii from Feb, Okada/Ibushi from March, Ishii/Ibushi from May, possibly Ibushi/Ricochet from June, the two matches you mentioned from the G-1 plus Shibata/Honma, and maybe a few others I can't think of. I'll have to watch it again I guess. I can't remember Meltzer ever giving 5* to a match he complained so much about, including saying point blank "Tanahashi should know better than to wrestle a match like this."

My 1-10 Match of the Year list really might just be 10 New Japan matches this year.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Really want them to just loving elevate Kushida to heavyweight because he is amazing.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dunbar posted:

I can't remember Meltzer ever giving 5* to a match he complained so much about, including saying point blank "Tanahashi should know better than to wrestle a match like this."
I don't know about Meltzer, but the fact that Tanahashi DID wrestle a match like this is why I loved it so much. His last match with Shibata was more his style, so it was fun to see him play on Shibata's level.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fun thought-experiment:

Who should be the first to kick out of the Rainmaker clean? I know Tanahashi done it before, but that wasn't really a clean kick-out.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Fun thought-experiment:

Who should be the first to kick out of the Rainmaker clean? I know Tanahashi done it before, but that wasn't really a clean kick-out.

Bob Sapp

if not him, Shibata

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Who should be the first to kick out of the Rainmaker clean?
Captain New Japan, obviously.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tomohiro ishii

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

John Cena posted:

tomohiro ishii

Kinda this, actually.

Someone who's believably that tough, who they want to immediately make a big main-event deal.

So Big Daddy Yum Yum.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Fun thought-experiment:

naitoooooo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

actually, not only should ishii kick out of it

he should kick out of it at 1.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Honma should kick out of it but lose the match anyway

John Cena posted:

actually, not only should ishii kick out of it

he should kick out of it at 1.
this would also be perfect

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I changed my mind to honma

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Honma should kick out of it but lose the match anyway

Only if the loss happens when Okada goes for a second pinfall after the Rainmaker and gets it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Anybody but Ishii is the wrong choice to kick out of the Rainmaker

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Only if the loss happens when Okada goes for a second pinfall after the Rainmaker and gets it.

how often does that finish ever occur out of curiosity?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Shelton Benjamin during next years G1 should kick out of the Rainmaker, because NJPW really likes making him look strong.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nobody. It should stay a killer for the next two or three years at least. That's a rub to give to somebody in the future.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ishii kicks out of the Rainmaker, then Okada hits him with 40 more. It then becomes a thing where Okada's daring people to kick out of his move so he can hit them with 40 more. Book it Gedo.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Dave posted this on the Observer board a little while ago:

Dave Meltzer posted:

Heard some stuff about Jan. 4 PPV.

Let's just say if you complain about ANYTHING when it comes to U.S. broadcasting, you can't be satisfied.

So that means probably JR (I think Dave is a fan) and who else?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

JR is bad though. Tony Schiavone would satisfy me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Dave posted this on the Observer board a little while ago:

So that means probably JR (I think Dave is a fan) and who else?

I would guess this means it will be broadcast live as well as on delay since that was the main issue.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRafTer posted:

I would guess this means it will be broadcast live as well as on delay since that was the main issue.

Oh okay. I guess I figured he meant broadcasters, not the schedule.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If it's being brought to traditional PPV though, I would have to imagine it has to have English language commentary.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I wouldn't think it's impossible to bring in two announcers, a bi-lingual go-between to let them know what's happening and how to vamp for time during the show, and then have an extra table during the broadcast. Send that out online live for the crazies and put it up for sale for PPV and online too for later that day.

I just saw a week or two ago that the Pac-12 Network is offering a YouTube-based subscription for people overseas to get the content that's otherwise on the cable channels. If YouTube is taking billing, then surely they'll allow for one-off events as well? And what more mainstream way to watch than YouTube?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JR will loving suck if he's commentating New Japan.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

JR will loving suck if he's commentating New Japan.

i've always thought JR would be a good choice in an abstract sense but my mind just pictured him calling the shibata-tana match with "BAH GOD WHAT A SLOBBERKNOCKER" and. hmmmmm

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Nerokerubina posted:

i've always thought JR would be a good choice in an abstract sense but my mind just pictured him calling the shibata-tana match with "BAH GOD WHAT A SLOBBERKNOCKER" and. hmmmmm

THAT KILLED HIM

THAT KILLED HIM

Just over and over again every time Shibata does literally anything.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I Before E posted:

THAT KILLED HIM

THAT KILLED HIM

Just over and over again every time Shibata does literally anything.

Shibata vs Ishii no. whatever at the Dome :flashfap:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just hope it's also on iPPV for a reasonable price. I don't have cable TV since $75 a month to Comcast is already a lot more than I'd prefer to give them.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't know how NJPW booking works, but Shibata should be in line to be a top guy in 2015 right? If I were them I'd be putting him in the title mix anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

As long as we get JR the announcer and not JR the podcaster, Ross doing announce duties will be sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac posted:

I don't know how NJPW booking works, but Shibata should be in line to be a top guy in 2015 right? If I were them I'd be putting him in the title mix anyway.

Shibata has been ready for main events for a while but NJPW is nervous about pushing him because of reasons. He did leave the company for nearly a decade and is a representation/reminder of the Inokism era in some ways.

• Locked thread