Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite Tales of game?
Why did you include a poll? This is dumb.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
One of the other ones.
View Results

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
By the way, is Elize actually taller in X2 than in Xillia? I'm not sure how to do a fair test of that, but it looks like she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

wdarkk posted:

By the way, is Elize actually taller in X2 than in Xillia? I'm not sure how to do a fair test of that, but it looks like she is.

I don't think so, I think her Xillia 1 costume and Xillia 2 costume use the same model. That could be a decent way to check.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

You could just set her to party leader and stand next to the same random town NPC model in 1 and then do it in 2. If you got about the same camera angle, it'd be easy to tell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I appreciate the fact that this game's final boss only took me 3 minutes instead of 3 hours.

Even if he was a one-shotting prick.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

You could just set her to party leader and stand next to the same random town NPC model in 1 and then do it in 2. If you got about the same camera angle, it'd be easy to tell.

Pretty sure you can only set Ludger as leader in towns. That said there are a few trail-side vendors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think you can set others to leader in town if you're on their character quest.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well I beat it. Couldn't tell you what ending I got, but Ludger sacrificed himself to save Elle and the fractured dimensions were eliminated so I guess that's the true ending? Maybe? While the game is nowhere near as bad as, say, Dawn of the New World, I still think it's one of the lower Tales games that I've played. Having nine party members was annoying to juggle when you were forced to use Ludger the entire game, and the only reason I played as anyone other than him was because I really like Alvin's playing style - Ludger is just too good at...well, basically everything. The plot was kinda ho-hum, nothing special to write home about either way, but I really like how they delegated most of the sidequests to the various character stories and left the menial poo poo to the job board. I still think the debt mechanic was really dumb, but it was handled about as well as you possible can for a gimmick like that, so I guess they get points for that.

Honestly, I'm left not feeling much of anything about the game. Graces was at least memorable in how stupid it was and the combat was amazing, and Xillia 1's plot was a lot stronger, even though it was clearly rushed at the end. Xillia 2 is just...there. It was interesting to see how everyone was getting along from the first game, but I can't think of anything in the ~35 hours it took me to beat it that's really going to stick with me. Xillia 1 was definitely the stronger game to me.

E: That's a lie, I'm going to remember this game as "Remember when Tales Studio wanted to do a silent protagonist? Man, that sure was terrible."

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 23, 2014

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, you got the True End.

I feel the game has a lot of good or great pats, but when everything's put together it just turns into an awful mess. Xillia 2's really down there with the worst entries for me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's hard for me to call Xillia 2 bad because I just started playing TotA again and man i'd forgotten how far they've come as far as battle systems go.

I mean Abyss is hardly bad, but it feels slow and stiff compared to Xillia 1/2.

Also half the game isn't locked behind ridiculously hard to find sidequests which is a plus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Xillia 2 is bad, but it isn't great either. I had fun with it which is more than I can say of stuff like Legendia or Symphonia 2, and the core combat system is fun enough it's kind of hard to screw it up. It's just got a lot of flaws which it really doesn't need to have.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I love Xillia 2 a lot and think it's, critically speaking, good, but I can think of a lot of ways they could have made it great. Kind of the same way I think about Xillia 1, really.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Xillia 2 has a fat cat which is a woefully undermentioned point in it's favor.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's the first Tales game where I didn't loving miss something halfway through so it's got that going for it, at least.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can't really rag on Xillia 2, even though I don't think it's a very strong entry into the series. Something like 80% of the assets are directly ripped from Xillia 1, but a lot of heart was put into that 20% of new content, particularly around building up the characters and playing with a lot of "what if" scenarios. It's obvious that, after having to rush out Xillia 1, the development team wanted to be able to have some fun and put out something in the same universe that was more polished, and I can appreciate that. They kind of tried to do the same thing with Symphonia 2, and that was a loving disaster. The game isn't amazing or anything, but neither is it offensive. The writing is strong when it needs to be, and I still contend that Elle is one of the better depictions in a JRPG of how an eight year old child actually acts.

gently caress the debt plotline, though. It serves no purpose outside of artificially lengthening a somewhat short game, and it barely even has enough emotional investment to qualify for a C plot.

Cake Attack posted:

it's hard for me to call Xillia 2 bad because I just started playing TotA again and man i'd forgotten how far they've come as far as battle systems go.

I mean Abyss is hardly bad, but it feels slow and stiff compared to Xillia 1/2.

Also half the game isn't locked behind ridiculously hard to find sidequests which is a plus.

The older Tales games are starting to show their age when it comes to battle, yeah. Even Abyss, as much as I don't want to admit it :smith:. When I played through Symphonia Chronicles earlier in the year, it frustrated me just how badly the mechanics have aged.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

gently caress the debt plotline, though. It serves no purpose outside of artificially lengthening a somewhat short game, and it barely even has enough emotional investment to qualify for a C plot.

Nova was cool and her perpetual terrible timing was funny so there's that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Sydin posted:

Nova's hilariously bad timing was one of the better running gags though. Too bad they never really went anywhere with her character.

EDIT: Welp.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nova was great. Doesn't excuse the debt bullshit, though.

Also she was underdeveloped as hell and I really wish they did more with her character. There were hints that there was a sort of love triangle going on between her, Ludger, and Julius, but it just falls of the wagon when the plot picks up at the end of the game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I feel like the new characters got the short end of the stick in the writing department. There's some really interesting stuff going on in Ludger's backstory and the story of the Kresniks as a whole, but it's basically all ignored to focus on the X1 crew. Which isn't bad I suppose (ToS2 did the opposite and haha that game), but still disappointing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rideaux has an interesting backstory that I'm pretty sure is mentioned only in a japan-only artbook.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Rideaux has an interesting backstory that I'm pretty sure is mentioned only in a japan-only artbook.

His backstory is mentioned in-game unless there's something about it I'm missing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I had to stop before the final act (I killed Julius and now I'm at the point where sidequests are available), but I feel like the game had some really bad problems with its antagonists. I have no idea what Julius was supposed to be doing this entire game, or why characters like Rideaux were assholes. Also, where did it ever establish Rideaux was a Kresnik? When he transformed, it was a surprise to me, but none of the characters acted that way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Most of the people in the DODA can transform. It's just that most of them are weak as hell compared to Ludger.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

His backstory is mentioned in-game unless there's something about it I'm missing.
What part of the backstory? The sickly part, or the part where his family was broke?

Because the sickly part is def. mentioned in game but not his family taking on debt to pay for his treatments, unless I missed it.

Momomo posted:

Also, where did it ever establish Rideaux was a Kresnik?
The Kresnik bloodline was established thousands of years ago, so there's lots of random descendants running around. He and Ludger aren't directly related or anything. It wasn't really established that he was one, but Bisley has an entire division dedicated to eliminating fractured dimensions: they obviously need the power to do so.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
While I enjoyed Xillia 2, the silent protagonist thing was handled so clumsily that I don't really feel like replaying it. At no point were things improved by it, and in fact that one (albeit brief) moment Ludger speaks on his own is one of the most memorable scenes for me because it's a little window into what could have been. It's memorable for other reasons of course, but that's the reason that sticks with me the most.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm wrapping this game up now, been taking it at a very casual pace since launch day, playing it with a friend when we have time and carefully following the guide to not miss anything.

I just felt like I have to say, this game is a giant list of well-intentioned but very clearly unfinished design decisions.

- Allium Orbs are superfluous. They're so passive that the progression may as well be tied to levels instead of obfuscated behind some system that requires babysitting instead of actual input. Even then, by the end of the game everyone is either 100% done or on some omni-element thing such that you don't even need to pay it any attention at all.

- The debt is so afraid to be a negative check in a game review that even the game outright tells you that you don't need to worry about it at all eventually. They couldn't get a system that worked without burdening the game, so instead they just made it hide in a corner.

- Ludger, conceptually, comes off as if someone who made this game really liked the Mass Effect series but forgot that Shepard 1) talks and 2) is a character independent of the player's input and also 3) as a result of the player's input. He's silent (kinda) and the choices amount to filling some nonsensical bar hidden in a second-level sub menu. Or not filling them. Or filling an invisible bar the game never tells you exists.

- The cast is too big to actually fit in the game. The whole cast suffers as a result, even when they get their own little segments.

I'll stop there because it feels like I'm railing on it, but in reality I like this game much more than the first. I mean on the whole it's ho-hum, playing it safe, and lacking in anything that might leave a lasting impression. The first game was the same way, though. If I'm asked to recall it, I imagine all that will come to mind is cats, depression, and silent guy. Oh, and the fact that they managed to make a child character endearing rather than annoying or creepy.

Also I noticed Elle disappeared from the Kitty Dispatch after a certain point in the story. What I didn't notice immediately is that she actually disappears from the title screen too. It's a really "nice" touch.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Finally got around to beating this.

Question about the true ending
why do Milla and muzet just disappear back to the spirit realm in the true ending but not the normal ending? Is it just not shown in the normal ending but you can assume they do or did I miss something.

Overall I liked the combat and story well enough. Team bisley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's just not shown. The normal ending doesn't elaborate much on the Xillia 1 cast.

• Locked thread