Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite Tales of game?
Why did you include a poll? This is dumb.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
One of the other ones.
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Do you think the CE DLC stuff will ever be put up on PSN? I didn't preorder, but I really want that Asbel Milla costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

:sbahj: Gaius looks fun as hell.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

Anime bank, please leave me alone, I don't have the money for my medical bills right now. :smith:

This is a bit too depressingly realistic for a brightly colored anime RPG.

Yeah, I just got to this point and it's kind of eye-openingly terrifying. Ludger may not be the world's best protagonist so far, but I'm feeling for him pretty drat hard now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Do you think the CE DLC stuff will ever be put up on PSN? I didn't preorder, but I really want that Asbel Milla costume.

Someone asked Namco on twitter. The answer is no.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010
Is it just me or was Shadow Volt a significant jump in difficulty? It seemed like my victory was dependent on it not overusing a particular attack that could knock off half my max HP. Nothing else it had was that damaging.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
My CE arrived literally minutes after I left for work, so I'll have to wait till I'm done to get any first impressions out of the way.
Thanks for the ever so opportune timing, UPS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FANSean posted:

Is it just me or was Shadow Volt a significant jump in difficulty? It seemed like my victory was dependent on it not overusing a particular attack that could knock off half my max HP. Nothing else it had was that damaging.

That fight is basically a big extended 'are you using guns? This guy has a lot of attacks which do a lot of damage up close. Maybe you should be using guns" fight.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Do you know the mutton man?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh man, if that guy is back that's going to be fantastic. 22nd is so far away despite being in only two days. :(

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh man, if that guy is back that's going to be fantastic. 22nd is so far away despite being in only two days. :(

Fresh Mutton has indeed made a return. Actually a good portion of the game is very familiar, they're not shy about using assets from the first one.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

That guy is back

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

xov posted:

The strategy guide, on the other hand... I'm not sure if Amazon got hosed over, but mine's been on status "preparing for shipment" and had "guaranteed delivery today" listed, but no signs of any packages and everyone else who ordered is reporting the same issue, or that Amazon just outright cancelled their preorder. I guess I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

I guess they did get hosed, I have an approval check since they won't be able to get it out before September 18th apparently which kinda blows! I may go hunt locally a bit first at this rate.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
If the Tales of series was a country I'd be the President. The game told me so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Someone asked Namco on twitter. The answer is no.
gently caress, I should have paid 100 dollars for a fake pocket watch just so I could have that costume.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I guess they did get hosed, I have an approval check since they won't be able to get it out before September 18th apparently which kinda blows! I may go hunt locally a bit first at this rate.

Not mine, which supposedly shipped out this evening.

Before they shipped out the game even, which is weird since Amazon usually bundles things that come in around the same time.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Just got in and grabbed the game off the porch.

This is the box it came in.

This is how big the actual thing was in comparison.

Holy poo poo what a waste.

EDIT: I just realized my images were fuckhuge. Gonna fix that.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 20, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rollo is the best :3:

fat cat :3:

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Rollo is the best :3:

fat cat :3:

I have to pay money to advance the plot and I get to play around with cats. When did Tales become No More Heroes?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Huh I didn't know the special costumes for Xillia 2 came with versions for Xillia 1.

That's kind of cool.

I notice all the Sports costume DLC is up already too. Guess I'll buy that as well! :shepspends:

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 20, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I am literally debating between this game and saving the money for Dangan Ronpa 2, this is very difficult.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I was pretty underwhelmed by Xillia 1. Is Xillia 2 a better game?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shakugan posted:

Combat is improved and it expands on a lot of things from Xillia 1 plot-wise but it depends on your feelings for Xillia.

If you liked it but thought it could have been more, I'd say get it.

If you were indifferent towards or hated Xillia 1, then it's not gonna change your mind.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I bought it on PSN and chucked it on a temp account if anyone wants to share, $30.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I don't know what happened, but I got a shipping notice around 10pm last night and mine's supposed to be delivered today :aaa:

Also, cats. So many cats. Cats inside the case. Do we really get to meet these Tales-motif cats throughout the game? I'm only about an hour in at this point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

xov posted:

I don't know what happened, but I got a shipping notice around 10pm last night and mine's supposed to be delivered today :aaa:

Also, cats. So many cats. Cats inside the case. Do we really get to meet these Tales-motif cats throughout the game? I'm only about an hour in at this point.

From a friend, Malik is in at the very least.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Shakugan posted:

The game opens up with weird scenes that don't make no sense and don't get explained and for some reason nobody talks about, and then Noel Vermillion gives you a 20,000,000 gald medical bill and nags you to pay her money over and over. You aren't allowed to proceed with the plot unless you go out to slay bears and collect bear asses MMO-style for a bit first. As far as I can tell, the whole game will be like this (I just unlocked the second "pay me" barrier to travel).

edit: as a canadian the concept of a mandatory bajillion-dollar medical bill is hilarious

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 20, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

From a friend, Malik is in at the very least.

There's a Suzu.

And a Luke, the job for finding him mentions that he could use a trim, and his color scheme is... Luke.

As for the debt. I've paid off like 50,000 since I just pay whatever they ask me to pay when they nag. Unfortunately that doesn't mean I'm ahead of the loop on travel allowances, it just means I get Kitty Krisps in the mail occasionally for being a good debtor.

I miss quick travel though. Walking to Helioborg and the Tatalian Abyss is a drag.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I miss quick travel though. Walking to Helioborg and the Tatalian Abyss is a drag.

Good news: you get it in chapter six or seven.

EDIT: Also don't pay off the debt for each section until you've completed the sidequests/character episodes you want. Some of them advance you to the next chapter which will fail a lot of things.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 20, 2014

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I'm that weird guy who stood around in every single dungeon in ToGF grinding monsters with Dark Potions on until I got their monster orb or whatever, so I will probably also be that weird guy who finds a weird spot to settle down and just grind gajillions of gald while simultaneously grinding something else that I find desirable at the time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

xov posted:

I'm that weird guy who stood around in every single dungeon in ToGF grinding monsters with Dark Potions on until I got their monster orb or whatever, so I will probably also be that weird guy who finds a weird spot to settle down and just grind gajillions of gald while simultaneously grinding something else that I find desirable at the time.

Good news! ToX2 introduces a new system that just straight up demands you grind each (non-unique) enemy hundreds of times. Each enemy gives a bit of permanent bonus SP to a specific character when you kill your 15th, 45th, and 200th.

(I'm pretty sure "unique" also includes any enemy only found in a Timeline or other region that goes away or stops having enemies, though. So... there's that?)

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Caphi posted:

Good news! ToX2 introduces a new system that just straight up demands you grind each (non-unique) enemy hundreds of times. Each enemy gives a bit of permanent bonus SP to a specific character when you kill your 15th, 45th, and 200th.

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Well, my powerleveling fetish just got a very strange boner. Thanks.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Do the returning characters get a lot of new artes, or is it mostly a retread of the last game's set? And are there more link artes now? It was disappointing in the original how the non-viewpoint party members only had 3 or 4 combinations with each other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erg posted:

Do the returning characters get a lot of new artes, or is it mostly a retread of the last game's set? And are there more link artes now? It was disappointing in the original how the non-viewpoint party members only had 3 or 4 combinations with each other.

Characters now have a generic Link Art they perform if there isn't a designated Link Art for that special move.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is Sharing still Caring?

(I should just play the drat game, I downloaded it last night :v:)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I swear I heard Alvin say "Sharing is caring, after all" in a fight so it's both a thing and spreading.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Holy poo poo Shadow Volt is pretty hard. I had to be level 14 to beat him, and it still took almost all my life bottles. This was only Moderate difficulty!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Erg posted:

They're mostly from X1, and each character also gets a couple of extras. Like, Jude gets an aerial drop that's ice/slashing, Alvin gets a blunt opener and the Charging Strike arte which is kind of what he needed all along (if he has no charges, it gives him one immediately), that sort of thing.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Did anyone else try to be a hero during the tutorial and get their face kicked in?

Also this fat cat is the best.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is the merchant system still the same as 1? Made finding gear in dungeons feel completely useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is the merchant system still the same as 1? Made finding gear in dungeons feel completely useless.

No, vendors seem to have a traditional fixed list of things to sell. There is none of that shop upgrading stuff from the first Xillia.

• Locked thread