Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

quote:

The weather has gone from bad to worse. The snow hasn't let up in three days, and the wind feels like it's threatening to tear the roof off every time I hear it howling past my window. In another time, another life, I might almost have found it beautiful, watching the flurry of white as it turns and swirls by outside. But every day just makes things harder, every day is another few inches on the drifts that have already built up to three or four feet in places.

Have you ever seen a zombie in a snow drift? If you thought humans looked clumsy, well, you gotta see these guys. It was pretty funny at first, at least until we realised that some of them were taking to hiding under some of the bigger snowbanks. I don't think they're smart enough to plan it, but I think the cold slows them down and some of them just... wait. It was bad enough having to try and battle your way through the drifts before, without worrying that any minute you'd feel an icy hand clamping down around your ankle, dragging you down to them. We lost Rachel that way - she barely had time to scream before she went down. No-one goes out any more unless it's absolutely necessary. Although, absolutely necessary seems to be about a daily occurrence right now. Between maintaining our food supplies, keeping the generators running with gas and propping up the barricades around the entrances it's a full time job just keeping this colony going.

We had some new people join us the other day. I'm not sure what to think of them yet. No-one's too forthcoming about their intentions these days, and I can't say I blame them but.. well, I'll be keeping an eye on them anyway.

This will be a 5-player game, following the standard rules with a few exceptions to make online play easier.
If you’re not familiar with the game, you can read up on the rules here. They’re pretty straightforward.
This is my first attempt at running this game online, and also at creating the resources for the game (graphics and spreadsheets for the various decks) so please bear with me if things are a bit clunky, and do point out any mistakes I’ve made and I’ll correct them.

Here’s the basic run-down on how I intend to do online play.

1) Whenever you are playing any cards that are not revealed to the other players (e.g. searching, playing into a crisis) this will be done via PM. You must have this to play.
2) Rather than players reading crossroad cards, I will manage these during player turns and will let you know if the effect has been triggered.
3) At the start of player turns, I will roll all dice and post the results in the thread. Players take turns consecutively, but on your turn you can post all actions that you wish to take simultaneously using the following format:

<character><dice><action> OR
<character><action> OR
Play <card> OR
Play X cards into crisis (and send me a PM of the actual cards) OR
<Other action>

For example, your turn might look something like

quote:

Ashley - move to Library
Ashley (5) Search at Library
Ashley – Special action barricade at library
Buddy (3) Kill zombie at colony, entrance 1
Buddy (1) Clean waste
Play Medicine card on Buddy to remove frostbite
Play 2 cards into crisis
4) Whenever you search with a character, if you are searching for a particular type of item and don’t mind making additional noise, please send me a PM along with your turn actions to let me know how many additional searches you are willing to make to try and find that type of item. E.g. you could send me a PM when you search at the hospital stating “I wish to make up to 2 extra noise in order to find a medicine card”. This will speed up the back and forth that can take place over searching.
5) You can specify conditional actions if necessary. For example, if on your turn you intend to move a character and then attack a zombie at the new location, you might wish to make this conditional on not taking damage on the exposure die. If so, post something like:

quote:

Edward – move to Police Station
Edward (4) Attack zombie if no damage taken this turn

I've also trimmed down the location boards and will do something similar for the colony board in order to fit things better onto the screen. Most notably, the noise indicator for the locations is now in the top-right, so after each player's turn I'll post an update of the survivors/zombies/noise present at each location.

Sign-ups will last until Thursday when I hope to get things started as I should have the rest of the resources I need finished by then. If there are more than 5 people interested I will assign places randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
Sogn me up!

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Sign me up too.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Sure, I'm in.

I saw a brief demo at GenCon, but I haven't played before. I'll read up on the rules before it starts.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Me! Me!

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
That was the other reason for giving a bit more time for signups, so that people can read up on the rules if needed.

One other thing I forgot to mention was voting - since this is meant to be done simultaneously, in any instance where there is a vote these will be sent via PM and a resolution reached once all votes have been received.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'd like to give this a go, sign me up!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm interested in giving this a shot

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I would be down for this.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sure, hit me.

Ony thing I know is that one of the survivors is a drunk Mall Santa that improves the morale of everyone else by dying, which I find hilarious.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm not down to play, but this looks really interesting!

That Mall Santa bit is pretty great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I haven't played this game, I haven't read the rules, but I've heard really good things about it, so I want to sign up! If I get in, I will absolutely get caught up.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I'd like in. I've got a couple of games under my belt already.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm sure I'm to late to join but I'll still be watching the thread!!

I want this game so drat bad

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've been incredibly interested in trying this game, since it has the theoretical potential to rival BSG for the "traitor coop game" niche, so sign me up if at all possible.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Well it looks like we'll have enough people so I'll close the signups early. Using random numbers I have determined that our 5 players will be:

Some Numbers 0.929245114
Fat Turkey 0.921673876
Servoret 0.734241862
Gravy Train Robber 0.705194426
WhiteHowler 0.698305427

With Corbeau and Fat Samurai as stand-ins if anybody can't make it for any reason.

The first thing will be to choose your starting survivors and leader (out of 4 random possible choices), so I'll send these out along with starting items and secret objectives when I get home from work.

I've only played a few games so far, but there's a few things that were not totally obvious to us for the first few games so just to give people a bit of an idea I figured it would be worth including some brief strategy advice:

Survivor Strategy

- Your starting morale is often not enough, and the cost to pass a crisis with the extra 2 cards in order to get the bonus morale is often a very good trade. In general, it's often more efficient to overcommit to some crises to get the bonus, and tank others to save cards.
- Food cards only count as 1 card in a crisis, regardless of the value of the food (this is in the rules but is easy to miss)
- Be really, really careful when sending survivors to a location with other survivors. Getting bitten is only a 1 in 12 chance, but having that happen can immediately lose you 2-3 morale. This ended a couple of our early games quite dramatically. Use fuel if you need to be certain.
- Barricades are often a much better bet than killing zombies. They effectively 'kill' a zombie anyway (when it spawns), don't require you to roll exposure, and don't require a particular dice to use them. In our first games we tried to keep zombie numbers down by killing them. This is a really bad idea, as sooner or later you will get bitten.

Betrayer Strategy

- A lot of the betrayer cards have very difficult objectives that take a lot more turns to accomplish than survivor objectives. Because of this, you'll often need to play along with the survivors for at least the first half of the game. Tanking morale to zero is dead easy, but if you do it too early you'll have no chance of achieving your objective
- Cards say on them where they came from. If the crisis is revealed and there is a negative card that came from the hospital played into the check, and you're the only person who has visited the hospital...
- Don't be afraid to make noise to get what you need (this goes for survivors too) but think about the timing of doing it. Again, don't tank morale too early.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, I watched the Watch It Played video and I've played BSG. I think I'm ready to do this.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Let's do this, Razor Cut Style. It's not a BSG game until someone rage quits from accusations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Let's not have a repeat of what is unquestionably the worst BSG game in history.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Some Numbers posted:

Let's not have a repeat of what is unquestionably the worst BSG game in history.

:munch: you can't say something like this and not link it

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Fellis posted:

Yeah I was just about to ask..

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I'll take Mike Cho and Brian Lee as my starting characters.

Edit: I'l take Brian Lee as my leader.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 21, 2014

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Starter items and characters have now been sent. You can decide who to start with now, but you may also want to wait until you receive your secret objective which will get sent out later on (unfortunately I had the wrong file with me that didn't have the secret objectives saved).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fellis posted:

Kerro posted:

Yeah I was just about to ask..

BSG Razor Cut: Death is Certain

Kerro posted:

Starter items and characters have now been sent. You can decide who to start with now, but you may also want to wait until you receive your secret objective which will get sent out later on (unfortunately I had the wrong file with me that didn't have the secret objectives saved).

I sent you a PM about characters; please ignore it. I'd like to see my objective first.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Got my starter characters message, but yeah I'll wait on the objective first.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I choose Thomas Heart as my leader and Carla Thompson as my follower.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

quote:

February 10th

Too Many Mouths

Is today Groundhog's Day? I can't remember anymore. Weird how hunger lets one dwell on such trivial thoughts. Shouldn't every brain cell be conserved right now? The canned goods ran out a week ago, and the grains followed soon after. The chickens are gone, and so is the last of the venison. We're living off what scraps we find in town, but they aren't enough. I've never thought myself an evil man, but God help me, my thoughts are dark of late. I know I'm not the only one. There just isn't enough food to go around, and it's hard not to feel bitter when it has to be shared with people who don't pull their own weight. These thoughts are wrong. I know that. It's no-one's fault that the skills they possess belong to another world. Another time. Our intellectual capacity is what separates us from animals, yet when our most basic needs cannot be met, it's hard not to think and act like animals.

Secret objectives have been sent!

The main objective is Too Many Mouths:

Morale: 7
Rounds: 5
8 Helpless survivors
6 Zombies at the colony
Victory: Survive 5 rounds.

Actions: All players specify survivors and leader, and confirm secret objective has been received

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

OK, amending my earlier choice in light of the scenario and the objective I received:

I'll take Bev Russell and Mike Cho as my characters, with Bev Russell as my leader.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Maybe wait for everyone to choose their people, but once that's done can we have a summary of all the special abilities of the chosen characters, if that's allowed?

I'm waiting for clarification on something before I post up my people.

So on top of our 10 characters, we have 8 other people to feed? So 9 food cards per round? Too many mouths indeed.

Edit: Oh if a survivor is outside the colony they don't count for the food count. Not so bad then.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 21, 2014

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Choosing Olivia Brown and Edward White, Leader will be Olivia Brown

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Choosing Daniel Smith and Gray Beard.

Leader will be Daniel Smith.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Fat Turkey posted:

Maybe wait for everyone to choose their people, but once that's done can we have a summary of all the special abilities of the chosen characters, if that's allowed?

Yes, once everyone has chosen I'll post showing the starting status of the colony including each character's special abilities. I've PMed you regarding your query.

You're correct about food on both counts - you do need a lot, but you can minimise it by getting people out of the colony.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Are there ways to increase Morale, or is it all downhill?

Confirm secret objective.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Morale: 7
Rounds: 5
Food: 0
Waste Pile: 0

Players

WhiteHowler

Daniel Smith - Sheriff 66 2 5 Anywhere: (4+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at Daniel's current location. Only roll for exposure once.
Gray Beard - Pirate 16 1 4 Colony: Once per round you may take a card at random from another player's hand and place it into your hand.
Cards: 5
Dice: 1 1 2

Some Numbers

Thomas Heart - Soldier 64 1 3 Colony: (5+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony. Do not roll for exposure.
Carla Thompson - Police Dispatcher 22 4 2 Police Station: Once per round when performing a search at the police station you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Dice: 6 4 5

Gravy Train Robber

Olivia Brown - Doctor 56 4 3 Anywhere: Once per round you may remove any type of wound token from a survivor that shares a location with Olivia. Olivia may use this ability on herself.
Edward White - Chemist 44 4 3 Colony: Once per round, when performing an attack with Edward, you may play a medicine card to kill 3 zombies instead of just 1. Do not roll for exposure. Do not use the ability on the medicine card.
Dice: 6 2 2

Fat Turkey

David Garcia - Accountant 50 4 3 Anywhere: When performing a search with David you may look at 1 additional card.
Rod Miller - Truck Driver 40 3 3 Anywhere: When moving Rod, do not roll for exposure.
Dice: 3 1 3

Servoret

Bev Russell - Mother 34 2 4 Colony: Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony as long as there is at least 1 helpless survivor token at the colony. Do not roll for exposure.
Mike Cho - Ninja 30 2 4 Anywhere: When performing an attack with Mike do not roll for exposure.
Dice: 1 1 3

Kerro fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Every crisis gives you the opportunity to increase morale if you exceed the required number of cards by 2. All the crises I've seen require 5 of a certain type of card, and give 1 morale if you exceed.

Edit: That probably sounds unrealistically optimistic, it's mostly just downhill.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 21, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

WHITEHOWLER! :argh:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Rod Miller and David Garcia, I choo-choo-choose you!

David is the leader. Someone needs to update the Excel spreadsheet sticks on the ground to count the food.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Some Numbers posted:

WHITEHOWLER! :argh:
Wha? What did I do?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Alright, and we're good to go!

Turn order and rolls are:

WhiteHowler: 1 1 2 (Sorry)
Some Numbers: 6 4 5
Gravy Train Robber: 6 2 2
Fat Turkey: 3 1 3
Servoret: 1 1 3

Your first crisis is:

Actions: WhiteHowler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Wha? What did I do?

Your leader has higher influence than mine. I figured 64 was going to be good enough to be the first player.

• Locked thread