Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, 5 medicine cards will keep the fail from happening and 7 will gain us a Morale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Correct.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Your leader has higher influence than mine. I figured 64 was going to be good enough to be the first player.

I thought it was a comment on his pirate character...

I don't have any medicine to contribute to the crisis, and I can't search this turn without spending a food token. I intend to keep Bev in the colony all game on zombie killing duty, so I'll probably have her pop a couple of zombies with her power and drop a barricade with the ones I rolled.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can't help a huge amount with Crisis. I'm planning to keep Thomas around right now to weed out the Zombies and send Carla elsewhere to make use of her ability and to reduce the number of mouths.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
This is going to be tough to complete. A very minimum of four food tokens are needed, but potentially up to 9, and on top of that at least 5 medicine cards. Both of my guys will go out looking for supplies when it comes round, we're going to need a lot of cards.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Just a few points to be aware of:

- Some of the food cards in the other decks provide more than 1 food token when used. In particular, the school and hospital provide the most higher value food cards while some of the other locations have similar numbers of cards but of lower value
- The way starvation works, it is not so bad to starve closer to the end of the scenario, but a really bad idea early on. If you can't feed your people, you don't spend any food (so you can save it for next round), but you gain a starvation token. After that, every subsequent turn in which you cannot feed your people (including the one in which you gained the starvation token), you lose one morale for each token you have.
- There are a total of 10 food cards in the starter item deck, and in a 5 player game all but one of the starter item cards are dealt out.

Since this is the first game for many people, I'm inclined to give this kind of information about the game that would become common knowledge after a number of playthroughs, but let me know if you would prefer I did not.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 22, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, you lose Morale for Starvation every turn? I thought the way it worked was that if you gain a Starvation token, you then lose 1 morale for each token you have, but between gaining them, they just sit around.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Oops, you're correct. I was misreading the rules.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Even so, feeding people is definitely better than not.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Fat Turkey posted:

This is going to be tough to complete. A very minimum of four food tokens are needed, but potentially up to 9, and on top of that at least 5 medicine cards. Both of my guys will go out looking for supplies when it comes round, we're going to need a lot of cards.

I'm a doctor, I would be pretty useless without medical supplies, wouldn't I? We'll need to check the hospital for more, but I can help a great deal.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I assume I'm going to start searching for food and medicine?

I haven't played before -- how important is it to start killing zombies super early on?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Zombies appear in 3 ways:

1) At the end of the round, 1 zombie spawns per 2 survivors at the colony, and 1 zombie per 1 survivor at all other locations
2) Each noise token has a 50/50 chance of spawning a zombie
3) Certain crisis cards spawn zombies

They do not spawn through any other means, and they have no effect until they overrun a location (i.e. more zombies spawn than there are spaces to place them). Use that information as you will!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

I assume I'm going to start searching for food and medicine?

I haven't played before -- how important is it to start killing zombies super early on?

Not unimportant.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Whoops. I hadn't read the rules correctly when selecting characters and didn't realize that lower scores are better. Which means I can't search this turn because of my crappy dice.

So let's get killin' instead!

Gray Beard move to School
Gray Beard (1) build barricade
Gray Beard (1) attack zombie
Daniel move to Police Station
Daniel (2) attack zombie
Play 1 card into crisis

Hopefully I did this right. I'll PM my crisis card momentarily.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, it looks like 6s are just always better than 1s.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

There are no zombies at the school or police station, only at the colony. Given we haven't really started yet and the rules confusion, I'm okay if you want to swap your survivors.

Here's an updated view of what's where:

Other players, feel free to preload your actions and/or crisis plays if you know what you want to do.

Edit: 6s are always better than 1s, though there are quite a few cards and survivor abilities that let you manipulate dice. For this reason though, it's definitely an advantage to have at least one survivor who has a special action that works with lower dice.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I thought the numbers on the locations corresponded to the entrances to the colonies. Makes sense now.

Um, then I'm not sure what I can even do with these dice. Stay in the colony and fight instead? That seems dangerous if someone gets exposed this early.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

One of my survivors is built around getting out and searching, so I'll be doing that. Also, fewer people in the colony means fewer mouths to feed.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Check the rules in the OP for what you van do with low dice or no dice.

This is going to be a search heavy task I think so everyone who can search may have to. Both my guys are better out the colony looking, so they will go out. Those who stay, we need to keep a count of so we can feed, and we may need barricades and the like rather than risk fighting zombies.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Barricading can be done with any result on the dice, so may be worth using some 1s to do that at the colony.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Also remember if you wish to use items which let you change your dice - for example, one of the starter items 'Junk' lets you reroll an unused dice. You can also request cards from other players during your turn, though if you do so they have to be played immediately.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
What if we 'overfeed' this round, is the excess saved for the next round?

If so, any objections to all food going in the middle? They can be used to change rolls but obviously need to make sure it doesn't starve us.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

What if we 'overfeed' this round, is the excess saved for the next round?

If so, any objections to all food going in the middle? They can be used to change rolls but obviously need to make sure it doesn't starve us.

You don't overfeed. We'll either remove exactly [# of survivors/2] food tokens or 0 food tokens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Put another way, yes, excess carries over, so yes, PUT ALL YOUR GODDAMN FOOD IN THE MIDDLE YOU IDIOTS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Whitehowler, are you locked in? I have a vague idea of what I want to do, but I don't want to jump the gun.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

The only reason not to dump your food in the middle (apart from personal objectives of course) is that some of the crisis cards also require food, and if you've converted more than you need into tokens then you won't have it available for a crisis.

I haven't received updated actions from WhiteHowler, so just waiting on that.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Okay, if I build a barricade at the colony, does it just go into the big area with all the NPC survivor guys, or do I have to choose an entrance?

And if I fight at the colony, do I choose an entrance to fight at?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

In both cases, you choose a specific colony entrance (1-6).

In general, it makes sense both to place barricades and kill zombies at entrance 1 before entrance 2, 2 before 3 and so on due to the way zombies are placed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So my Soldier can't kill multiple Zombies until there's more than one at an entrance?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

No, you could still kill 2 with the Soldier, you would just need to specify which 2 you wished to kill.

In short:

1) If at the colony, you can kill zombies at any entrance. They are all considered to be 'at your location'. You can choose which one/s you wish to kill if there is more than one.
2) If at another location, you can only kill zombies at your location unless you have items that say otherwise.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Do I have this right? Each search event is separate and generates noise tokens separately?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

That's right. So you might search once, find what you want, and end that search. Then search again with the same character, not get what you want and choose to make noise once to draw a second card. If you then chose to keep this, it would have cost you two dice, and one noise token.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Have you decided on actions WhiteHowler? I've got quite a lot of time this weekend (at least in part due to being sick dammit) so would be keen to get through a few turns if we can.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Yep, sorry for the confusion. I watched the Watch It Played video and it makes a bit more sense now.

Daniel (1) build Barricade at Entrance 1
Daniel (1) build Barricade at Entrance 1
Gray Beard (2) attack zombie at Entrance 1
Play 1 card into crisis

(Same card I already PM'ed you.)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

No worries.

Daniel builds a barricade at Entrance 1
Daniel builds a barricade at Entrance 1
Gray Beard kills a zombie at Entrance 1. Gray Beard takes 1 wound from exposure
WhiteHowler plays 1 card into crisis

Morale: 7
Rounds: 5
Food: 0
Waste Pile: 0
Crisis Cards: 1

Players

Some Numbers

Thomas Heart - Soldier 64 1 3 Colony: (5+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony. Do not roll for exposure.
Carla Thompson - Police Dispatcher 22 4 2 Police Station: Once per round when performing a search at the police station you may look at and keep 1 additional card.
Cards: 5
Dice: 6 4 5

Gravy Train Robber

Olivia Brown - Doctor 56 4 3 Anywhere: Once per round you may remove any type of wound token from a survivor that shares a location with Olivia. Olivia may use this ability on herself.
Edward White - Chemist 44 4 3 Colony: Once per round, when performing an attack with Edward, you may play a medicine card to kill 3 zombies instead of just 1. Do not roll for exposure. Do not use the ability on the medicine card.
Dice: 6 2 2

Fat Turkey

David Garcia - Accountant 50 4 3 Anywhere: When performing a search with David you may look at 1 additional card.
Rod Miller - Truck Driver 40 3 3 Anywhere: When moving Rod, do not roll for exposure.
Dice: 3 1 3

Servoret

Bev Russell - Mother 34 2 4 Colony: Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at the colony as long as there is at least 1 helpless survivor token at the colony. Do not roll for exposure.
Mike Cho - Ninja 30 2 4 Anywhere: When performing an attack with Mike do not roll for exposure.
Dice: 1 1 3

WhiteHowler

Daniel Smith - Sheriff 66 2 5 Anywhere: (4+) Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at Daniel's current location. Only roll for exposure once.
Gray Beard - Pirate 16 1 4 Colony: Once per round you may take a card at random from another player's hand and place it into your hand. 1 Wound
Dice: 1 1 2

Action Queue: Some Numbers

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Move Carla to the Police Station.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can load my actions if you want, but the Exposure will be relevant to what I do.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Carla moves to Police Station. Carla is unaffected by exposure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cool.

Search using my 4, use Carla's ability.

So, I get to look at two. If I decide to keep going, do I draw one more and keep two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Yep that's right. Cards sent.

• Locked thread