Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

SeANMcBAY posted:

What's the five guys thing a reference to?

Either this

Or how GamerGate was originally referred to as #FiveGuys.

Both results are bad, one is actively malicious, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How is it bad if it's just a Watergate reference and some internet person thinks everything is about them?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I like the Wii U and the fun games I play on it. Nintendo is the best!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I like how the NeoGaf thread is just 17 pages of people repeating that Watergate is a thing, instead of reading the first, like, five posts. I didn't know about the five guys thing but that line makes for an unfortunate translation, no matter the intent.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think neogaf might be bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Motto posted:

I think neogaf might be bad.

They would never give me an account no matter what email I used to sign up. I just wanted to post in the retro gaming threads.:smith:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it has the best DOAX3 thread tho

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

lmao if you think paper mario contains a gg reference

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

BattleMaster posted:

How is it bad if it's just a Watergate reference and some internet person thinks everything is about them?

I'm generally on the other side of this issue but I agree, this is nuts. The term was a reference to Watergate to begin with.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Here's the entire scene from Paper Mario: Color Splash here if you want to check it out yourself:
https://youtu.be/lh16YgtySJI?t=20m41s

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Renoistic posted:

I like how the NeoGaf thread is just 17 pages of people repeating that Watergate is a thing, instead of reading the first, like, five posts. I didn't know about the five guys thing but that line makes for an unfortunate translation, no matter the intent.

You have the exact opposite going on on Twitter. Super No Vacancy was right. Two extremes, always at war with each other. Never shall the two meet.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Super No Vacancy posted:

it has the best DOAX3 thread tho

I see what you did there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no it really does!

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Fun guys fungi mushrooms

I don't give a gently caress about GG or color splash

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Super No Vacancy posted:

no it really does!

It was deleted recently.

Anyway, there is no way NIntendo is putting a gamergate reference in their game. It's a joke about every little controversy getting the "-gate" suffix attached to it nowadays.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

translation team: *thinks about notable things that have happened in the gaming fandom in the last few years* this is a good time to make a joke referencing how many burglars committed the Watergate break-ins lol

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Gamer gate is for idiots and that is one heck of a coincidence if it's not a deliberate reference. You'd have to be really obstinate to not see how it could be read as one.

In conclusion this thread is a land of contrasts. Ban talking about Paper Mario.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Reformed Pissboy posted:

translation team: *thinks about notable things that have happened in the gaming fandom in the last few years* this is a good time to make a joke referencing how many burglars committed the Watergate break-ins lol

lol if you even think "five fun guys" was a reference to the number of watergate burglars when it was likely just a reference to the number of toads in the puzzle and "fun guy" is like a dadjoke pun on "fungi"

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I care more that it appears to be Sticker Star again. :(

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Stan Taylor posted:

In conclusion this thread is a land of contrasts. Ban talking about Paper Mario.

A Land of Contrasts could have been the subtitle of the new Paper Mario game, since it's all about colors

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

lol if you even think "five fun guys" was a reference to the number of watergate burglars when it was likely just a reference to the number of toads in the puzzle and "fun guy" is like a dadjoke pun on "fungi"

I'm making fun of the guy on the last page that linked to the watergate wikipedia article

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i guess you guys don't like toads

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Erata posted:

I care more that it appears to be Sticker Star again. :(

Yea upon further playing SS is real boring

Also take the GG argument elsewhere or it's going to turn toxic like the argument about how link is totally female or whatever

Edit:

BillmasterCozb posted:

i guess you guys don't like toads

Sorry I'm not a very fungi

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Errybody giving Breath of the Wild their Best of Show awards makes me happy. It's all but meaningless, but I am still enjoying it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

It was deleted recently.

how come

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Errybody giving Breath of the Wild their Best of Show awards makes me happy. It's all but meaningless, but I am still enjoying it.

Giant Bomb made a top ten list of games they would like to see/play/know more about which seems like the rational way to view these E3 announcements. Breath of the Wild came at #2.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Giant Bomb made a top ten list of games they would like to see/play/know more about which seems like the rational way to view these E3 announcements. Breath of the Wild came at #2.

Was Horizon Zero Dawn #1?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Was Horizon Zero Dawn #1?

I believe it was. I'd have to double check.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I believe it was. I'd have to double check.

It seems like it and God of War were the other big contenders.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Hey guys, I have a totally unrelated question.
so I got Super Metroid on the VC. Only ever played the Game Boy one when I was little.
I was getting a long just fine and I got the high jump, and I'm aware that there's some boss or mini boss around that's supposed to give me the lava suit (varier or varia or whatever) but I cannot find it.
Any help?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

SylvainMustach posted:

so I got Super Metroid on the VC. Only ever played the Game Boy one when I was little.
I was getting a long just fine and I got the high jump, and I'm aware that there's some boss or mini boss around that's supposed to give me the lava suit (varier or varia or whatever) but I cannot find it.
Any help?

Look around the elevator to Norfair. East of the glass tubes that travel through the water.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

Any help?

It's gated by a boss. Look for an green and organic look in Brinstar.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Thanks I'll go digging after dinner.

Also what's the best final fantasy on the Wii VC

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

Thanks I'll go digging after dinner.

Also what's the best final fantasy on the Wii VC

Pretty sure you can get all of them but Mystic Quest and you're good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They never put a Magic: the Gathering game like Duels: Origins on the Wii U, did they?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Thinking about it now, even if my first reaction was to think of the historical event and not the internet battle that occurred a few years ago, it's really not that "nuts" for one of the people most disproportionately affected by that stuff to be upset at seeing it in the game. In the context of a game, especially in a series that is known for featuring internet reference humor, the translation team should have known better. So, I think my knee-jerk reaction was unwarranted. It makes sense that Zoe Quinn would see that sooner than I would.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
oh my god stop

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

When I see Five Guys I just think of good burgers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's a funny joke either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I thought talking about g*merg*te was banned in Games, if not please make it so

• Locked thread