Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

axleblaze posted:

It seemed like it had the potential to be a fun game and had alot of charm but it's also a platformer that assigned "jump" to waggle, so I found it to pretty much be unplayable.

This. A thousand times this. DeBlob is a charming game with a unique aesthetic that I want nothing more than to cherish and adore but it's a game that's nothing but jumping and when your sole means of doing so is shaking the wiimote a hundred times a level it really destroys the experience. Playing for more than 15 minutes at a time for me was physically excruciating.

DeBlob 2 is on 360 and PS3 so you can experience it with traditional controls but from what little I remember of it it wasn't even a shadow of the original - more soulless rehash than labour of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Natron posted:

Can we stop pretending that any games are "mature"? Just because a game has violence and blood and your character is a big macho dude with issues doesn't make something mature. It's basically the equivalent of playing GI Joes on your driveway, it's just far more sophisticated and expensive.

Edit: Sorry, I'm quite late to the party here, but I was referencing Ubisoft's decision to not publish any more "mature" games on WiiU.

I believe he was using the term "Mature" in the way that the ESRB uses it. He means "mature content", not "sophisticated".

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Is DeBlob actually a game worth checking out? It always looked like lame generic mascot platformer garbage to me.
Well, I'm going to be a big dummy and basically contradict a whole bunch of people, I guess - I liked De Blob 2 quite a bit, and I preferred it over the first. For me, DB2 had a more interesting soundtrack, more interesting ideas, and more interesting level design. Another thing it stood out as was daring to be a remotely decent 3D platformer, which not a lot of developers have the balls for, anymore (though it did do what every other 3D platformer at the time did, and go 2D/3D hybrid). I also, somehow, didn't find the shake-to-jump as excruciating as other people here mention. It's not like DKCR was for me, where I'd do time trials and be shaking my arm almost non-stop for 20-40 minutes at a time.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Throw one of the Trauma Centers on that list, whichever you prefer.

straight jerkers posted:

Please bold and underline Sin & Punishment for being Extremely Awesome

And seconding this, that game deserves more love.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
New Blood has co-op, which is fun.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Throw one of the Trauma Centers on that list, whichever you prefer.
I'll do both, since I never played either one. I'll also throw in Punch Out!!, Little King's Story, and The Last Story. It's likely that I'll be presenting all of these games in a tile format similar to the Wii U recommended.

...Which, again, means that I'm going to have to collect an absolutely massive amount of covers. If anyone has any ideas for how to make that task less horrifically tedious, I'd love to hear it.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Look at this awesome new thread with all these cute gamers posting in it! :3: Thanks to everybody who pointed out great games in the old thread, I got a lot of really cool stuff from the eShop I might not have gotten otherwise (I can't believe the thought of not getting Shovel Knight ever crossed my mind).

Sitting Bull posted:

Bought a Wii U last week, own MK8, NSMBU, and Pikmin 3. I want to buy another game today, gimmie suggestions. Of the games I have, Pikmin is my favorite. I'm not so into 2d/3d scrollers, so DKC TF is out, and I'm not into the 3D Mario either. Mass Effect 3? Monster Hunter? WWHD? Wonderful 101?

The recommended list in the OP is good! Also, I think people have already pointed out that Super Mario 3D World is really good in a very broadly appealing way. Even though Tropical Freeze is excellent if you're somehow allergic to platformers I might not recommend it because it's typically more demanding, but I'd recommend 3D World to everybody even if you're only able to beat the first half (the latter worlds get challenging - Champion's Road may be one of hardest platforming levels in any game that doesn't expect the player to use save states).

Wind Waker HD is definitely worth picking up. Wind Waker was already a surprisingly good game and I'm impressed Nintendo made legitimately good changes to improve the HD remake. You'll definitely want to pick up the Swift Sail as soon as you can though, and it's still a big game so it's not something you're going to beat in an afternoon.

I'd rank Wonderful 101 as one of the best games on the Wii U - if you can deal with getting used to the gameplay. Have you ever played a Platinum game before? Basically the game is "Here's a surprisingly deep combat system and a wide variety of enemies with ridiculously over-the-top boss fights. Have fun figuring it all out! Don't forget to buy your block and dodge moves because you're screwed without them but we're certainly not going to tell you that!" Regardless, the game is like $20 and it's so good I think it's still worth getting to see if you can handle it.

Monster Hunter as a series has always been to grindy for me, but I've heard nothing but good things about it from people who like the series.

Ultigonio posted:

Well, I'm going to be a big dummy and basically contradict a whole bunch of people, I guess - I liked De Blob 2 quite a bit, and I preferred it over the first. For me, DB2 had a more interesting soundtrack, more interesting ideas, and more interesting level design. Another thing it stood out as was daring to be a remotely decent 3D platformer, which not a lot of developers have the balls for, anymore (though it did do what every other 3D platformer at the time did, and go 2D/3D hybrid). I also, somehow, didn't find the shake-to-jump as excruciating as other people here mention. It's not like DKCR was for me, where I'd do time trials and be shaking my arm almost non-stop for 20-40 minutes at a time.

I'll back Ultigonio up here. Remember that you don't need to move the Wii-mote much, if you're hurting your wrist you're probably over-doing it. Both the first and the second games are nice platformers with great music and I thought the painting mechanic made for fun gameplay. The instruments in the music change based on what colors you paint! They're good relaxing-fun kind of games.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Sitting Bull posted:

Of the games I have, Pikmin is my favorite. I'm not so into 2d/3d scrollers, so DKC TF is out--
Other than some barrel blasting segments, Tropical Freeze is entirely 2D, so give it a look.

Otherwise definitely check out Wonderful 101, I just got it from Amazon today and it's pretty rad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ultigonio posted:

I'll do both, since I never played either one. I'll also throw in Punch Out!!, Little King's Story, and The Last Story. It's likely that I'll be presenting all of these games in a tile format similar to the Wii U recommended.

...Which, again, means that I'm going to have to collect an absolutely massive amount of covers. If anyone has any ideas for how to make that task less horrifically tedious, I'd love to hear it.

Throw in Trauma Team as well, that's a fantastic Trauma Center game.

Also you should go play those ASAP, they're dirt cheap at gamestop. :colbert:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Natron posted:

Can we stop pretending that any games are "mature"? Just because a game has violence and blood and your character is a big macho dude with issues doesn't make something mature. It's basically the equivalent of playing GI Joes on your driveway, it's just far more sophisticated and expensive.

Edit: Sorry, I'm quite late to the party here, but I was referencing Ubisoft's decision to not publish any more "mature" games on WiiU.

Fremry posted:

I believe he was using the term "Mature" in the way that the ESRB uses it. He means "mature content", not "sophisticated".

Ironically, ZombiU is one of the most legitimately mature titles Ubisoft's made in years. I wonder if the executive team was upset it was a horror roguelike and not "First Person Shooter with Zombies #37" like the whole swath of IGN/Gamespot/PROFESSIONAL GAMING JOURNALISM was. Or maybe Ubisoft Montpellier is where Ubisoft keeps all their cool employees. Whatever the case may be, don't let a CEO being a dumbass make you miss out - ZombiU is a great game.

Also, King of Zombies is an awesome mode and a great way to use the gamepad. You basically get to be the AI Director from Left for Dead. I hope more games do stuff like that - it would be great to do a Zelda dungeon that way. Definitely looking forward to playing as Bowser in Mario Party 10 too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

Throw in Trauma Team as well, that's a fantastic Trauma Center game.

Also you should go play those ASAP, they're dirt cheap at gamestop. :colbert:

If you play only one of the Trauma Center games, it should be Trauma Team if only for the novelty of seeing Atlus USA hire on a voiceactor you'd normally expect to be way out of their league. :v:

and it also has more variety than SURGERY SURGERY SURGERY all the time, but pfft seriously what is Nolan North doing here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Ultigonio posted:

Depending on how handy you are with scripting you could hit up TheGamesDB and their API.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

Or maybe Ubisoft Montpellier is where Ubisoft keeps all their cool employees.
Considering that was the team where Michel Ancel spent a lot of his time, I think this would be safe to assume.

pokeyman posted:

Depending on how handy you are with scripting you could hit up TheGamesDB and their API.
Was able to get a link to GameTDB from someone which has every single Wii cover in a .zip - that's all I need to make this process go nice and quick. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gandalf21 posted:

I'll be upset if you don't, Skyward Sword is awesome :colbert:

Seconding this. I quit Twilight Princess and almost stopped playing all Zeldas. After beating Wind Waker HD, I tried Skyward Sword. I was shocked how much I enjoyed it. It's not a perfect game but it is fun. The skydiving controls weren't good though.

katkillad2 posted:

Little Kings Story not on that list or suggested yet...

ChaosArgate posted:

There is a distinct lack of Punch Out or any of the Trauma Center games on that list. :colbert:

These games should probably be added. I would also consider adding Mario Super Sluggers and Mario Strikers Charged.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Spacebump posted:

These games should probably be added. I would also consider adding Mario Super Sluggers and Mario Strikers Charged.
Part of me really doesn't want to add them, but the other part of me is asking why not, because I really enjoyed both of those games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ultigonio posted:

Part of me really doesn't want to add them, but the other part of me is asking why not, because I really enjoyed both of those games.

They're great games, you rear end

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

They're great games, you rear end
:mad:

Here's a quick look at what the Recommended Wii Games will look like:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20252

Feel free to let me know if you see something that makes you want to, like, blow homeless shelters up or set fire to daycares or something.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 20, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ultigonio posted:

:mad:

Here's a quick look at what the Recommended Wii Games will look like:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20252

Feel free to let me know if you see something that makes you want to, like, blow homeless shelters up or set fire to daycares or something.

Throw Red Steel 2 or NMH1 on there to even that list out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ultigonio posted:

Right, so we're at -1 so far. :v:

Here's the WIP list of good Wii games:
De Blob
De Blob 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Metroid Prime Trilogy
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Pikmin: New Play Control
Pikmin 2: New Play Control
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Sonic Colors
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wario Land: Shake It!
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Xenoblade Chronicles

Might need to organize it in a way other than ABC. God dang I am going to have to find so many covers.

I'd also recommend Endless Ocean Blue World, Secret Files Tunguska, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut, Ultimate Shooting Collection, House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Ghost Squad, Jambo! Safari, A boy and his Blob, Rune Factory, Castle Shikigami 3, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Trauma Team, Zack and Wiki, Kolona, Deadly Creatures, Mad World, and Domino Rally.

Allthough Twilight Princess most people prefer to play on the Gamecube.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd also recommend Endless Ocean Blue World, Secret Files Tunguska, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut, Ultimate Shooting Collection, House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Ghost Squad, Jambo! Safari, A boy and his Blob, Rune Factory, Castle Shikigami 3, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Trauma Team, Zack and Wiki, Kolona, Deadly Creatures, Mad World, and Domino Rally.

Allthough Twilight Princess most people prefer to play on the Gamecube.

Hoo boy! I don't wanna' get too crazy, here, though I've already added some of those, and I prepared for multiple of those to be requested (Endless Ocean, A Boy and His Blob, Deadly Creatures, Klonoa, Zack and Wiki). I've heard good things specifically about House of the Dead: Overkill, I believe? And I'm trying to remember which Rune Factory on the Wii is the good one. I'm 90% sure it's Frontier, but it may have been Tides of Destiny. Don't remember. Where's that other goon who really likes RF???

Commissar Ken posted:

Throw Red Steel 2 or NMH1 on there to even that list out.
I don't think I'd recommend the first NMH too much. Knowing what I know of Red Steel, is the sequel actually that decent?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ultigonio posted:

I don't think I'd recommend the first NMH too much. Knowing what I know of Red Steel, is the sequel actually that decent?

Red Steel 2 is pretty fun but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Battalion Wars 2 is very good

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Boomblox better be on that list, Spielberg's seminal work.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ultigonio posted:

Depends on how cheap and what you like in a game.
The story isn't worth mentioning, the levels are (imo) large enough, but they're largely empty. Basically it's only saving grace is the gameplay. It's okay when you start, but as you gain new moves, it quickly becomes pretty awesome.
I quit multiple times because the world is so poor, but I kept coming back due to the sword/gun fighting being great.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Just add every Wii game, I think that will make people happy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

Red Steel 2 is pretty fun but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

It regularly goes on sale used for under 5 dollars. If you're really into motion controls you might be interested in it, but in the end motion controls were just a flash in the pan.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, it has nothing at all to do with the first and the controls are exponentially better. Also I second Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and MadWorld.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You need to add Muramasa: The Demon Blade to the list. Game is gorgeous and fun.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Because there are so many good games for the Wii, it seems like it's going to be difficult to keep the list compact. I definitely like the look of the list so far, but I do agree with some of the suggestions other people have been making (didn't realize the Wii had so many good games until I really started looking back). However, we don't want the list to be needlessly excessive either.

What would people think of editing the covers for sequels together, like one cover and then diagonal slicing to the other cover? I think it's a far bet if people are interested in Mario Galaxy they'd also want to check out Galaxy 2, and the same for De Blob and Pikmin. I think the Metroid Prime Trilogy could just count for Metroid Prime 3, though.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Ultigonio posted:

How many people will be upset if I put Skyward Sword on there?
While I don't know how many people will be upset if you do, I for one would certainly be upset if you don't :colbert:
EDIT: I should have read the rest of the thread before I made my reply, of course I was beaten only a couple of posts after the one I replied to. Well; just add my voice to that, then.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

That sounds reasonable.

But I don't think a lengthy list of great games is really a bad thing. Great games be great games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CatsPajamas posted:

What would people think of editing the covers for sequels together, like one cover and then diagonal slicing to the other cover? I think it's a far bet if people are interested in Mario Galaxy they'd also want to check out Galaxy 2, and the same for De Blob and Pikmin. I think the Metroid Prime Trilogy could just count for Metroid Prime 3, though.

I think stylistically, it could work, but then you run the risk of covering up game titles so people who really don't know what a cover looks like will just see this weird, jarring transition.

Edit: I'm looking at that list and I think you could get away with dropping Metroid Prime 3 from it since you have the trilogy right next to it, and I'm just curious why NSMBWii and Brawl aren't on that list.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 20, 2014

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ChaosArgate posted:

and I'm just curious why NSMBWii and Brawl aren't on that list.
Presumably for the same reason that Mario Kart Wii isn't, because the sequel on the Wii U makes the previous entry kind of obsolete :shrug:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

PrBacterio posted:

Presumably for the same reason that Mario Kart Wii isn't, because the sequel on the Wii U makes the previous entry kind of obsolete :shrug:

I think they're still good games and I would recommend them if someone wanted to play more NSMB or more Mario Kart?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ultigonio posted:

Hoo boy! I don't wanna' get too crazy, here,

Yes you do. Don't let OP bias get in the way of listing all the worth playing Wii games.

Ultigonio posted:

I don't think I'd recommend the first NMH too much.

Like this, what the hell? First NMH is easily the better of the two.

I guess if you want to keep things from going on forever, then have the first three rows normal sized box art, then half size the rest. Could probably fit everything worth playing on the Wii onto a single screen that way.

Like we can for WiiU right now! :v: BTW Shovel Knight should totally be in the OP.

EDIT: did a quick count, I'm pretty sure we can agree/vote/bicker for only a few weeks on a "top 18" list for Wii games and every other recommendation can be half sized.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 20, 2014

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

PoshAlligator posted:

I think they're still good games and I would recommend them if someone wanted to play more NSMB or more Mario Kart?

Even then. Mario Kart Wii was probably my least favorite of the series, by a decent margin.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ultigonio posted:

Right, so we're at -1 so far. :v:

Here's the WIP list of good Wii games:
De Blob
De Blob 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Pikmin: New Play Control
Pikmin 2: New Play Control
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Sonic Colors
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wario Land: Shake It!
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Xenoblade Chronicles

Might need to organize it in a way other than ABC. God dang I am going to have to find so many covers.

No House of the Dead Overkill?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PrBacterio posted:

Mario Kart Wii was never good, so this doesn't hold water.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

My personal list of recommendations, then:

The Legend opf Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
Warioware Smooth Moves
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Sonic Colours
Sonic and the Black Knight (yeah, it's fun and cheap all right)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (see above)
Battalion Wars 2
No More Heroes
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (yes, really)
MadWorld
Boom Blox
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Cooking Mama (sorta)
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I recommended Walk It Out.