Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo troll patrol is good. Can't believe I slept on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I pulled a wight, emperor slime, and king she-slime for my retries and then got archdemon and A-rank Bone Baron on my second 3k pull, so I’ve got a decent spellcasting team going.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
I couldn’t see how to re-roll and decided to uninstall as I realized I was already autobattling and wasn’t going to actually enjoy it as a game. I booted up the hearthstone single player dungeon run again what am I doing I even own slay the spire.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why would you play a lovely gatcha DQ game when a bunch of the good real games are on iOS.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Anything good from the last 6 months that runs on an air 2? Arcade doesn’t.

Annoyed that night of the full moon crashes on the air 2 every time now

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Arcade should work fine on an Air2...
Are you sure it's not an Air1?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Arcade should work fine on an Air2...
Are you sure it's not an Air1?

air 2 is 6 years old, so it’s pretty sensible that new games don’t work super well

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sleepwalkers posted:

air 2 is 6 years old, so it’s pretty sensible that new games don’t work super well

I haven’t run into anything on Arcade that doesn’t run fine on mine. What’s giving the OP issues?

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I was looking for a new game today and i found out that dragon quest 7 never came to iOS in the US, even though it came out for iOS in Japan and it’s already been translated to English for the 3DS. Does anyone know if there’s a planned release?

Also, I guess I’m looking for recommendations. I really want to find a game to play in portrait mode that isn’t action oriented, that I can play for a minute here or there. I’ve played all the other DQs, NotFM, Hoplite. The Go games didn’t really do it for me, neither do gacha games (I just don’t get them at all).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hexaflip on the arcade is a super neat little action puzzler but the app is buggy as heck. It spams its game center achievement notifications repeatedly at you. It also doesn't correctly remember where you last were in the level select menu, so you have to paw the screen after every level to get back to where you were :psyduck:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Try turning off Game Center. Worst toasts ever.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think it's the game itself because it does similar buggy behaviors for things unrelated to game center

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
There Is No Game was a great ride, thanks for the recommendation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Abugadu posted:

There Is No Game was a great ride, thanks for the recommendation.

I appreciate that games like these pop up every so often to break up the monotony. Hats off to the developers, very clever and did a great job of invoking the feel of adventure games in the 90s. The last bit when you're interacting with the camera really made me feel like I was playing Space Quest or something.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I tried There Is No Game on PC over Christmas and all the writing felt completely forced/self-aware and lacking any subtlety. I finished the second chapter but didn't go any further. Does the game style change beyond that point, or if 1/3 through I've already got the feeling it's not for me should I just leave it?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Froist posted:

I tried There Is No Game on PC over Christmas and all the writing felt completely forced/self-aware and lacking any subtlety. I finished the second chapter but didn't go any further. Does the game style change beyond that point, or if 1/3 through I've already got the feeling it's not for me should I just leave it?

It does change style from a LucasArts point-and-click adventure a couple of times, yes. Off the top of my head, there is a Legend of Zelda chapter and an Idle/Clicker chapter. There are others but it's been a couple months since I played. If your issue is the writing, though, that doesn't particularly change.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Froist posted:

Games that are about game culture are universally awful because game culture is awful

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Remember during the height of the Random Dice bandwagon there was a sense of ‘this is good, but the inevitable clone will be better’?

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/rush-royale-tower-defense-td/id1526121033

Only just started messing with it, but it seems nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

Remember during the height of the Random Dice bandwagon there was a sense of ‘this is good, but the inevitable clone will be better’?

Nice! Gonna check this out. I liked random dice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Coq au Nandos posted:

ooh I’m intrigued. I’m dipping my toe into Dragalia Lost and DQ Tactics while maintaining a Pokémon Go, DFFOO and Marvel Puzzle Quest habit so I don’t have the time for it now but please post updates!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

ooh I’m intrigued. I’m dipping my toe into Dragalia Lost and DQ Tactics while maintaining a Pokémon Go, DFFOO and Marvel Puzzle Quest habit so I don’t have the time for it now but please post updates!

It’s not bad so far!

It’s quite a lot like Random Dice but much slicker UI and graphics.

The season pass seems expensive at 11.99 but besides that it seems not terribly predatory.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

BGrifter posted:

It’s like some evil genius took the basic gameplay and most of the dice (notably, I can’t find a version of the Growth or Combo Dice, which means this game will have a very different meta) from Random Dice and the graphical style and progression system from Clash Royale. I’ve had to check multiple times that this isn’t actually a Supercell game.

The gameplay of Random Dice was always good but the app itself was dogshit. Looks like this app has completely solved the issue.

It also rejoices in the full App Store name Rush Royale: Tower Defense TD: A Tower Defense Game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Coq au Nandos posted:

The gameplay of Random Dice was always good but the app itself was dogshit. Looks like this app has completely solved the issue.

Yeah I remember having to put my phone on a pillow to play because Random Dice made my phone uncomfortably hot. Similar gameplay with a coat of polish sounds fantastic.

If it winds up like Random Dice I’m guessing there will be dozens of posts in the thread. I’m looking forward to reading them all for a couple weeks and eventually playing it myself.

For now I’m on a quest to reroll into a god tier start in Dragalia Lost that includes rolling Joker from the Persona event banner. But soon I’ll have time again!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Random Dice lost all luster for me after the graphical update really. Haven’t touched it in months. But I’m an idiot and will probably play Rush Royale too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Random Dice lost all luster for me after the graphical update really. Haven’t touched it in months. But I’m an idiot and will probably play Rush Royale too.

So far it’s not bad?

It’s a slicker RD and I kinda feel like it plays better? I have no idea about the units and stuff but I’m enjoying it so far.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

So far it’s not bad?

It’s a slicker RD and I kinda feel like it plays better? I have no idea about the units and stuff but I’m enjoying it so far.

I disagree on it playing better - either the servers are totally hammered or the games are run peer to peer, because there there's severe latency whenever you upgrade or spawn a new unit. However they did it, RD handled this much better

Personally, I think the aesthetics are way too noisy compared to pre-graphic update RD too - in particular, looking for a shape on a space under a sprite that takes up 4/5ths of its real estate in order to determine it's rank is loving terrible

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I snoozed through the Random Dice chat months ago because I didn't understand it but I got in on this Rush Royale thing and it's a fun way to pass 90 seconds.

Also, Through the Ages just released an update that lets you replay past games, spectate ongoing ones, and most importantly view a graph of completed results. It's pretty cool. Here's a game where I absolutely bombed:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Rush Royale is really scratching an itch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Montalvo posted:

Rush Royale is really scratching an itch.

It is and I agree about the latency issues though.

They really need to do something about that.

That’s my main gripe with it right now.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Anyone tried LoL Wild Rift?
What are good MOBAs in iOS right now?
I preferred Arena of Valor to Vain Glory despite the toxicity.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah the latency is bad, and there is absolutely no chance I am going to pay for the season pass.

Can someone explain to me what the point of the mechanic where your towers weaken as they merge beyond the second merge?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

Anyone tried LoL Wild Rift?
What are good MOBAs in iOS right now?
I preferred Arena of Valor to Vain Glory despite the toxicity.

Wild rift will probably be the best once it launches.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Montalvo posted:

Yeah the latency is bad, and there is absolutely no chance I am going to pay for the season pass.

Can someone explain to me what the point of the mechanic where your towers weaken as they merge beyond the second merge?

System mastery? As you note, you should definitely not merge to higher than Level 2 unless you have to, which for longer games will eventually happen once you run out of battlefield slots and still have mana to burn. In Random Dice, some dice had abilities that had a greater effect based on the number of pips on the dice, such that a single three pip dice was indeed more powerful than four one pip dice, but those were the exception, not the norm.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Makes sense, thanks. So far I’m sticking to spanning a few heroes; upgrading whichever ones merge to level 2; and alternate between getting towers and upgrading merged ones. Seems to be working at these low levels.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Btw guys, Titan Quest released, again, as Legendary edition for 19,99 Euro over here.
It FINALLY has the Immortal King expansion and the Atlantis and Ragnarök DLC.

If you already own the Handy-Games version of TQ, you can buy each DLC for 5 bucks.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
Looking for casual games to play while listening to podcasts and bad tv that aren’t whalebait gatcha nonsense.

Happy to pay up front for something that will keep a small amount of my attention over a period of time. Already played all the big idle games on iOS that I’m aware of.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shadowstar posted:

Looking for casual games to play while listening to podcasts and bad tv that aren’t whalebait gatcha nonsense.

Happy to pay up front for something that will keep a small amount of my attention over a period of time. Already played all the big idle games on iOS that I’m aware of.

I’d say give this a shot.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rush-royale-tower-defense-td/id1526121033

I’ve been having a great time with it so far.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

MarcusSA posted:

I’d say give this a shot.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rush-royale-tower-defense-td/id1526121033

I’ve been having a great time with it so far.

It’s a cute concept. I tried that dice game a little which seems to be almost exactly the same game. Really want something where any IAP is limited and under $20 tho.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I'm a fan of Seedship for a five-minute diversion.

It's a very indie text-based game of pushing your luck. You are an AI piloting a ship of frozen colonists looking for a place to settle down. The longer you keep looking the more likely you are to find a habitable planet, but the more your systems will degrade and leave the colonists with fewer resources to get started.

Your score at the end is based on how successful the colony is and how much civilization they are able to rebuild, with some procedurally generation descriptions. Here's a game I just finished:

quote:

Subterra's impossibly slender alien plants reach kilometres into a blue sky. The colonists live in towering smog-filled Industrial cities with buildings sealed against the planet's harsh environment, gathered around water production plants. The cities are dominated by temples to the state religion which controls every aspect of people's lives. In the first city stand monuments to the 81 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 326 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Any gacha title that lets me kill bosses to the tune of “Rivers in the Desert” from Persona 5 is instantly the greatest gacha of all time. Sorry DFFOO, it’s Dragalia Lost now.

The music in Dragalia Lost is so good and the Persona tracks fit in perfectly. This was probably the best collaboration event I’ve ever played in a gacha title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-OFP-0H5g