Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

teacup posted:

Is farmpg an idle game or like a really active one? I’m itching for a good idle game after I got bored of egg inc a while back but have never really found the right one for me

it’s both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im not sure "idle" or "incremental" has any clear definition but it traditionally feels like they need to have generators that automatically increase your numbers, prestige mechanics, usually just 1 resource per tier and rarely more than a handful of them in total.

Farm RPG has mechanics where you need to wait, so it has hints of idle gameplay, but also have several systems that require regular interaction, while being humble enough to not require more than 15 minutes of your time per day if you don't want to. Or you can play it a lot more if you DO want to.

I am in near-endgame and play the game 15ish mins per day.

If you want a traditional idle game like Egg INC then Farm RPG is not for you, however if you want a game that you can check in on once in a while and make progress, watch numbers go up, unlock new systems (already a few days in Farm RPG has more systems than Egg INC ever has) in a completely ad-free environment then Farm RPG is the best game in the industry by miles.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

The new word game from Zach Gage, Knotwords, is really fun

http://playknotwords.com

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/knotwords/id1598756238

I’m stuck on whether to unlock the full game for $17CAD or do the yearly sub for $6.50.. maybe yearly sub and if I’m still playing it in a year it’s obviously good enough to splash out for the forever unlock? I overthink these silly little purchases way too much.

So this game is really good but I feel like it could use a ramping difficulty or something lol

Like it gives a small tutorial and then after that it just throws the big puzzles at you. I’m nearly done with the May 1st daily one but drat it took forever.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

So this game is really good but I feel like it could use a ramping difficulty or something lol

Like it gives a small tutorial and then after that it just throws the big puzzles at you. I’m nearly done with the May 1st daily one but drat it took forever.

the dailies are like newspaper crosswords where it gets progressively harder throughout the week from monday-sunday

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

the dailies are like newspaper crosswords where it gets progressively harder throughout the week from monday-sunday

gently caress it gets harder?

Yay for me almost finishing the easy one lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Once you learn some tricks I find it gets easier like the little 2 letter words here and there are often only one possibility. Getting a good start is the hardest bit then I start clearing pretty fast!

Also the twist mode with the number of vowels is a nice change too.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress it gets harder?

Yay for me almost finishing the easy one lol

may 1 was a sunday my man

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

may 1 was a sunday my man
:argh:
:hmmyes:

And so it was.

Fuckin hell

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 3, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah, I escaped eggplant jail!

Time to cash in this poo poo and see what other weird trinkets this lady wants.

Oh, the corn one. Cool I needed to get corn anyway I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In word knot does anyone know if you can redo the puzzles? I wanted to let my wife have a go at that stupid Sunday one so she could do better and show me how stupid I am.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

tuyop posted:

Hell yeah, I escaped eggplant jail!

Time to cash in this poo poo and see what other weird trinkets this lady wants.

Oh, the corn one. Cool I needed to get corn anyway I guess.

I completed corn hell the other day. It's something...

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it feels good to complete the corn quest.

Until you suddenly need 1100 honey, 50 geckos, 400 gold peas, 400 gold peppers… I could go on :negative:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Worst part about corn jail was not getting gold as a reward for the final quest 😤

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Weedle posted:

it's funny, i wouldn't mind the daily puzzles being bigger and harder on average than the few days that i have done so far, because the game really clicks in my brain somehow. but the unlock price is high enough that i held off on it, because i don't know how long my interest will hold. locking ALL of the "tricky" puzzles behind the paywall added to my hesitation, because it doesn't let me see if those puzzles are ones i will actually enjoy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I paid the $10 and I’ve gotten my dumb brains moneys worth so far. My wife and I do them together or she takes the phone and does them herself.

A++ would buy again

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I picked up my ipad and was disappointed that progress does not sync between phone and ipad for knotwords. Hopefully that comes in an update, being able to pickup on the ipad would be nice. Also a “reset puzzle” button for when I gently caress it up and just want to start fresh :haw:

And to see the tricky puzzles, it has a free trial for 7 days so you can check out all the tricky ones and then unlock the full version or do the subscription for less. The tricky ones have some neat mechanics like tells you how many vowels per row/column and theme ones with special words that are flowers or weather items etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I picked up my ipad and was disappointed that progress does not sync between phone and ipad for knotwords. Hopefully that comes in an update, being able to pickup on the ipad would be nice. Also a “reset puzzle” button for when I gently caress it up and just want to start fresh :haw:

I agree with both of these.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve completed Mon-Wed and the 10 free May Puzzlebook ones. Hoping for a proper Sunday crossword feel, as mentioned above, and then I think I’ll buy it - so far it’s just been too easy to be worth $17.99

I had a weird one with todays puzzle and the word DYKE. It highlighted like an incorrect word, so I kept changing letters around trying to find the right words. Jumped on a work call for 30 mins came back and ended up with the same word and this time it worked. Not sure what was going on with it but maybe they had a rude word filter that accidentally picked it up? Just teething problems?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

DRINK ME posted:

It highlighted like an incorrect word, so I kept changing letters around trying to find the right words. Jumped on a work call for 30 mins came back and ended up with the same word and this time it worked. Not sure what was going on with it but maybe they had a rude word filter that accidentally picked it up? Just teething problems?

There was an update today with just the patch notes 'puzzle fixes' so maybe it auto-updated and that was an issue it fixed?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Knotwords doesn’t run on my iPad at all, it just crashes immediately. Been playing on my phone though and I really like it!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

I paid the $10 and I’ve gotten my dumb brains moneys worth so far. My wife and I do them together or she takes the phone and does them herself.

A++ would buy again

I’ve learned to just have my partner install any word game to begin with, just in case I ever want to use my phone.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the clues for sunday puzzles are drat near impossible to read on an iphone mini. this is with big text turned on

e: wait a second, it just forgets the large text setting every time you quit the app and you have to toggle it off and back on again

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

You can zoom in and out.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
FarmRPG question: what’s the quickest way to make money early to get some of the million dollar upgrades? Is it just grinding fishing?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Koryk posted:

FarmRPG question: what’s the quickest way to make money early to get some of the million dollar upgrades? Is it just grinding fishing?

Do you have the sawmill yet?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Koryk posted:

Have you seen the library sections for get rich quick and sawmill silver?

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Sawmill is what I’m saving for.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Koryk posted:

I'd just follow the quests as you'll get dumped enough resources and silver to keep exploring and levelling up that, and keep cramming stuff together in crafting and selling the stuff you can easily pick up in the early biomes because that's where the real money starts to come in later.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I was glad to have the new seasonal requests in Farm RPG, something different from the corn grind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMOMTtAMBI

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kalman posted:

You can zoom in and out.

my god

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

super sweet best pal posted:

I was glad to have the new seasonal requests in Farm RPG, something different from the corn grind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TMOMTtAMBI

there’s always more corn jail

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
11:32 to solve todays Knotwords because I got caught up on the top right section, I think I had everything else in place in under 5 minutes and then sort of pulled it apart testing other words and ending up at the same place. Todays puzzle was a good size though, and I like the newspaper crossword style of monday is simple - sunday will bring the pain.

I then coughed up the cash - I went with the yearly subscriptions as two years is cheaper than the full game price, and there’s not that many games I play for that long. Solid recommendation thanks goons

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oo it’s not May 6 here yet but I have a time target now :haw:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Excuse me Jill, what is this about being only “8% complete” after I’ve given you hundreds and hundreds of corn???

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tildes posted:

Excuse me Jill, what is this about being only “8% complete” after I’ve given you hundreds and hundreds of corn???

welcome to corn jail bi0rtch. you're up for parole in 25 years

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I am currently in corn jail. It is terrible.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I don’t play that game but from the way you guys talk about it, it really does sound horrible. At some point you have to ask yourself why you’re subjecting yourself to this game if you no longer enjoy it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i do enjoy it. corn jail is just a roadblock on one particular path that carries considerable rewards for overcoming it and encourages you to focus on other methods of profit in the meantime. it really is a very good game

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

I am currently in corn jail. It is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Game is good. Corn jail is bad.