Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

junan_paalla posted:

Recommendations for fun games that play offline and will work on my old rear end iPad Air 2? I took this thing on my 12 hour flight only to realize everything I had on it except desert golfing required an internet connection, I’d like to stock up on some games before my flight back.

Not sure what your preferences are but you might like King of Dragon Pass or Six Ages. Maybe a Final Fantasy game or another SquareEnix RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

junan_paalla posted:

Recommendations for fun games that play offline and will work on my old rear end iPad Air 2? I took this thing on my 12 hour flight only to realize everything I had on it except desert golfing required an internet connection, I’d like to stock up on some games before my flight back.

The Room series!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

junan_paalla posted:

Vampire Survivors. A super fun game that you probably have heard about being a big thing on PC. It's got an iOS version recently and I can run it fine on my old iPad from 2017 and this thing can't even be updated anymore due to lack of storage space and is like two firmware versions behind.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
King of dragon past and six ages. Six ages is the better of the two imo

Standard recs are FTL, Into The Breach, Papers Please, Civ 6, a bunch of board game ports and pc ports.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Doesn't Into the Breach do a Netflix subscription check on start or something? I haven't played Netflix games but I'd assume it does something like that.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

junan_paalla posted:

i recommend cribbage with grandpas to literally everybody i know and now i'm recommending it to you too!!!

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

junan_paalla posted:

Dream Quest.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

junan_paalla posted:

- Slay The Spire
- Polytopia
- Solitairica

All great games you can play while listening to audiobooks/podcasts or half watching a movie. Turn based which means you don't have to worry about pausing for interruptions etc.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Brotato Premium is a solid recent release

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

tildes posted:

Brotato Premium is a solid recent release

It really is. My current favorite take on the VS genre. Did not expect the gameplay depth it has between weapons, items, stats and characters. Getting all that with no IAP upselling or ads for $5.99 or whatever is a steal.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Brotato is the best one of all the VS-likes imo. It’s got extremely-light-to-non-existent meta progression, huge gameplay depth, and pure arcade action and each (winning) run takes like 30m. It’s great.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

The issue I ran into with Siralim is that if you don't know what you're doing and can't setup a team with good synergy even the story(?) content becomes a grindy slog pretty fast.

Though RNG can also go in your favor, like getting an item that lets the recipient attack multiple times or w/e.

I think I’m hitting this point in the game, but I’m enjoying figuring my way out around it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Montalvo posted:

I think I’m hitting this point in the game, but I’m enjoying figuring my way out around it.

Yeah the fun of Siralim is try to figure out an absurd team that break the game. The game leans into it as well. It is so satisfying.

Here were the two teams that I run through with. I'm sure they are trash compared to meta team but eh whatever.

an evoker team that lets you cast spell multiple teams with a team of owls that increase spell damage, no spell cost, and a fox that created a cascade of spell triggers at the start of combat.

A blood mage team that wanted to be killed and would explode with a ton of damage and then revive with crap load of health which made their next death deal even more damage.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Shwqa posted:

Yeah the fun of Siralim is try to figure out an absurd team that break the game. The game leans into it as well. It is so satisfying.

Here were the two teams that I run through with. I'm sure they are trash compared to meta team but eh whatever.

an evoker team that lets you cast spell multiple teams with a team of owls that increase spell damage, no spell cost, and a fox that created a cascade of spell triggers at the start of combat.

A blood mage team that wanted to be killed and would explode with a ton of damage and then revive with crap load of health which made their next death deal even more damage.

Happy birthday

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

Happy birthday

You remembered :unsmith:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Been playing Mighty Doom

Completely lacks multiplayer but is generally a fun game

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
The devs of Alto’s Odyssey have released a new game via Netflix called Maya's Horizon and it is REALLY good. It's an open world wing suit game with the same sort of aesthetic as the Alto games. The controls are a little tough at first to get used to but after an hour or so it's not too bad. Love that Netflix is beating Apple at the "releasing premium games behind a subscription" game. Immortality, Poinpy, Into The Breach etc. https://apps.apple.com/in/app/layas-horizon/id1615116545

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
drat. I haven’t been paying attention but Netflix are really building a library; I just downloaded a bunch I hadn’t seen before, including Mayas Horizon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Holy moly apple just added a ton of games to arcade. I can’t recall seeing this many new games before!

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/05/apple-launches-20-fun-new-games-for-its-award-winning-apple-arcade-service/

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Looks like the vast majority of those are just existing games that are free now. Iron Marines and Kingdom Two Crowns is cool though if you have never played them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What the Car is an easy pick for me

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Who is giving awards for game streaming services?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

tuyop posted:

Who is giving awards for game streaming services?

Apple is honored to have received the Apple Arcade Game Service Award for the third year in a row. The award is given annually to a game service named Apple Arcade.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I’m looking for a game like Star Traders Frontiers, really deep rpg elements with a decent mobile interface. No micro transactions or ftp nonsense.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
LOL @ Hill Climb Racing +

I like that game well enough (and I actually do play the sequel which is more of a physic racer/puzzler) but I can't imagine going back to it from scratch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve only had a few minutes to spend with it but I’m prepared to say that what the car is a worthy sequel to what the golf

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Time Locker+ is pretty fun. It’s an endless scroller Superhot! with bears

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, I’ve been playing it a lot today. High score of a bit over 8k so far

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’ve been playing Age of Origins now for a while and I love it, but I’m at the point where I can’t grow much more to compete without spending a significant amount of money.

Are there any free games like this? Or not free, but not going to cost a ton in game?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The TMNT game is just a Hades clone. It's fun!

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Montalvo posted:

God I sunk HOURS into this game when it first came out years ago. Time to get sucked in again

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

thatfuturekid posted:

The devs of Alto’s Odyssey have released a new game via Netflix called Maya's Horizon and it is REALLY good. It's an open world wing suit game with the same sort of aesthetic as the Alto games. The controls are a little tough at first to get used to but after an hour or so it's not too bad. Love that Netflix is beating Apple at the "releasing premium games behind a subscription" game. Immortality, Poinpy, Into The Breach etc. https://apps.apple.com/in/app/layas-horizon/id1615116545

Laya's Horizon is absolutely phenomenal. I really like the controls!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hand Row posted:

Looks like the vast majority of those are just existing games that are free now. Iron Marines and Kingdom Two Crowns is cool though if you have never played them.

Kingdom 2 crowns is amazing but playing it on mobile.. IDK. Levels take too long to complete I'd rather play it on PC

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Is there a dedicated Hoplite thread? I’m addicted and couldn’t find a thread after poking around a bit here in the mobile and retro subforums.

Been on a huge retro gaming kick that’s included some mobile remakes, and honestly this game is just so balanced and is so stimulating for countless hours on end

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It is a seriously great game. I don’t remember ever having a thread but it was a common discussion and recommendation for a long time.

Every so often I play it again trying to get the Demon Partisan and Hoplite Master achievements.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The developer of Hoplite has a new game in early access called Hex Cult. It's available on Android through Play Store, but on iOS, you may have to message the dev on Discord to be manually added to the TestFlight program.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Any recs on asynchronous multiplayer games?

I’ve been playing chess against some friends on the phone and you’d think it would be a big genre but idk what to look for

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wolfs posted:

Any recs on asynchronous multiplayer games?

I’ve been playing chess against some friends on the phone and you’d think it would be a big genre but idk what to look for

Ticket to Ride is asynchronous right?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Polytopia is alright if a streamlined 4X sounds good to you. Although for a truly great async game I think that each turn should be a bit ”bigger” and more decisive so you don’t burn out before completing a game. If the Eclipse board game’s (also a 4X) iOS version still works it could be a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

are there any good microtransaction-free traditional golf games that aren’t on apple arcade? i love easy come easy golf but i don’t play games on my phone enough to justify paying $60 a year to play it. i also love big tournament golf but i’ve played it to death and could use something new