Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

To tie in with the movie No Holds Barred, WWF turned the movie into a storyline, dedicating 5-6 months on a Hulk Hogan vs. Zeus feud. Zeus was just an actor with limited wrestling training and even then, his gimmick was that he barely did any selling. He only wrestled three matches in WWF, but he came off looking better than he had any right to. Between the excellent booking, constantly being put in tag matches to hide his flaws, being paired with Randy Savage and having Hogan and Beefcake constantly sell his offense and invincible stature, Zeus did all right for himself.

A few months after leaving WWF, Zeus did a match in WWC against Abdullah the Butcher. There was no strong booking. There was no tag match to keep his limitations under wraps. There was no opponent capable of carrying him while making him look like an Andre-level threat. It was just aimless brawling with garbage being thrown in the ring while the only one excited was a little kid in the front row.

poo poo was baaaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Suben posted:

He was a lot of things. He rose from being a common hood to a movie star and wrestler parlaying that into a successful presidential bid. Post-presidential life hasn't been kind to him however.

He has a better track record against the Joker than Batman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MotU posted:

Yeah but so do sleeping pills

Did you watch that Abdullah the Butcher match? Same difference.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

There are no videos of the matches I can find online, but here are the stories of the three worst Chikara matches I've ever had the honor of seeing, all taking place during the peak of the promotion.

1) La Parkita vs. Payaso del Futuro

Kind of similar to what Beyond does now, Chikara used to do "secret shows" where they'd film a couple matches with no audience and then charge like $3 for people to download it. Somehow, La Parkita -- a midget version of La Parka, obviously -- got wind of one of these shows, showed up and convinced Quack to book him for a show. And he was like, sure, why not.

At 2007's Maximum Overdraft, they had La Parkita vs. Payaso del Futuro, who was a fat guy in a ridiculous set of cyborg clown tights. I was excited for it because of the novelty, but it wore off real fast. First off, Parkita was more than likely intoxicated. Before the match, he brought some middle-aged woman into the ring with him and danced with her for an extended amount of time. The match was just him doing a couple hurricanrana-type moves to Payaso here and there, then spending about 70% trying to get the fans to chant, "PARKITA!" And we did. The first couple times. But he kept asking again and again and again. Payaso never got any offense in or anything. He was just there to bump for Parkita's headscissor takedowns in-between him constantly trying to start "PARKITA!" chants.

After the match ended, he brought that woman back into the ring and kept dancing with her. He drunkenly danced forever. From what I understand, Quack's response was less anger and annoyance and more incredulous, claiming, "He just wouldn't stop dancing!"

In case you were wondering, La Parkita was murdered by a couple prostitutes a year or so later.

2) The Cold Front vs. the UnStable

You could argue that King of Trios 2009 was the best Trios show they ever did just based on the talent involved. Bryan Danielson, El Generico, the Young Bucks, Austin Aries, Kota Ibushi, Johnny Saint, etc. Even Necro Butcher was used extremely well. Unfortunately, the show is hurt from having two awful matches on the card.

The first round was slated to have Vin Gerard/Stigma/Colin Delaney take on Al Snow/Glacier/Iceberg. Glacier appeared at the show the previous year and was over as gently caress because he's Glacier and it's Chikara. Putting him with two cold-based wrestlers made sense and because he and Snow were mainstream names, it made sense to make this the main event of the first night. I don't know if it was legit or if it was planned from the beginning, but it was announced that Iceberg missed his flight and would be replaced. They did an amusing bit in the beginning where they picked replacement partners out of a hat and drew guys like Shinobi, Avatar and Lief Cassidy. Finally, D'Lo Brown's name came out and he showed up.

The match could have been passable if it was 10-15 minutes long, but the whole thing was at least a half hour and it just went on forever. D'Lo was okay. Glacier was... Glacier. Al Snow, meanwhile, didn't give the slightest poo poo, wrestled like he simply didn't want to be there and the UnStable guys weren't good enough to offset it by a longshot. How lazy was Al Snow in this match? When it was time for him to do a hot tag spot, he couldn't even be bothered to crawl and did a standing hot tag.

Look at that. Look at Glacier giving more of a poo poo than Al Snow.

It thankfully ended in a surprise roll-up and the Cold Front was gone from the show. Glacier and D'Lo appeared a couple months later and D'Lo was a regular co-host on the Chikara podcast, but Al Snow was never even mentioned ever again. From what I hear, he acted like a dick backstage.

The match is kind of hilarious when you match it up with Snow's philosophy of how important the main event is and how the undercard shouldn't be allowed to be better than the last match because that's what people came to see. Also notable because HulkaMatt bought the entire weekend on DVD and after seeing this match, he never finished the rest. It was that bad.

3) Pierre Abernathy and Evan Gelistico vs. Davey Vega and Gary the Barn Owl

This one is head-and-shoulders above the other two matches and it even led to some fun stuff down the line, but it's still infamous for its badness. The second night of King of Trios 2009 had a couple showcase matches from other promotions. Inter-Species Wrestling had Player Uno vs. Twiggy, which was fun and the crowd was into it. They also had a tag match with some representatives from the Lethal Wrestling Alliance and it was crap.

Now, if this match was on almost any other Chikara show, nobody would have really minded. Indy guys are allowed to have bad matches. It was just that they were smack in the middle of the biggest show amongst some of the biggest indy names, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. None of the guys were very good and none of them appeared to be in very good shape. The crowd turned against it pretty badly and by the time it was over, there was a "DON'T COME BACK!" chant.

It worked out in the end, since the four guys came back a few years later as a stable called the Submission Squad, where they keep trying to invade Chikara to get back at the fans, only for things to constantly go wrong. So at the very least, they can still do "stable of comedy jobbers" better than Al Snow ever could.

• Locked thread