Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I have a close friend that's a celebrity. Like the rest of us, they've got a lot of their lives on their computers, phones, tablets. They are justifiably concerned about their privacy.

They came to me the other day asking me to lock down their entire lives. Home WiFi, securing their phones against theft, snooping/sniffing etc. I would imagine they want all this to be as transparent as possible.

Other than using secure routers with strong passwords, making sure encryption is enabled on all PCs/Laptops at boot level(afer ensuring all are virus-free,) securely destroying all HDDs in old computers, 2FA on email accounts, making sure all iPhones have GPS and remote wipe, wipe after 10 failed PW attempts turned on, what else should I do/look into? (Noting here that cost is not really a factor)

Sorry it is such a broad question, I've never had anyone ask this of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

mcsuede posted:

Are they a celebrity with money? Because hire a professional is a serious answer.

A decent amount, I suppose. They've told me they've got about 5k to blow on this. If that's the best solution, obviously I'm not going to trust some kid from Geek Squad, what kind of things should I look for in such a professional?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Thanks for the info, Factory Factory. Great articles.

Jonny 290 posted:

Who'd he piss off, and through what vectors have they already hacked this celebrity?

100% of the times somebody has come screaming to me or one of my computer bros for HELP ME PROTECT MYSELF, they got involved in like loving eve drama or something. One guy gave away root on a colo on a gigabit line because he'd totally get guildmaster rank if he did so

Hire a professional. If he requests to go through you, hire the pro, inflate his rates by 25% and bill your customer that.

Primarily because she is a she. The whole conversation started when we were sitting at my bar, and I noticed her phone was completely unlocked and asked her about that, and if she ever thought what would happen if she lost the phone. Which got us on the topic of all her other items. She's brought her laptop into Best Buy before for issues. Her router was set up by the AT&T guy, etc. Out here in LA, its is very tempting for BB/Apple Store techs to dump/sell clients' info to TMZ, etc for more than they'd make in a month.

So, I guess a professional is the way to go, and I'd imagine she wants me to at least vet said professional to avoid the above types of situations. I'm fairly tech-savvy but not to the degree where I would know how to plug as many security holes as possible.

She's smarter than your average clueless celeb, and has seen what's happened to others through their failure to at least use basic security measures.

Hell, when I used to work for a firm that had 100% celeb clientele, they'd often come into the office and just hand me their old laptop as a gift when they got a new one. Completely intact. I could have made a killing selling off the content just off their hard drives, if I had less scruples.

• Locked thread