Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Fear Her really isn't poo poo until the Olympics stuff starts.

You're kidding! The episode is one big "Hey guys, this is a scary scene because the door is shaking or jiggling" fest in between shots of childrens drawings. The sappy olympics part isnt even as offensive as little girl actress's pathetic, gravelly "i'm a scary monster now" voice. I have low expectations of child actors, but she failed even by those standards.

Now i dont want to make a totally negative post, so i will say that "Love and monsters" was a fun "Human side of doctor who" story, with lots of ELO (elo makes anything better), with a side of age disparate attraction and a dash of scooby doo. If you're looking for "Good story with weird ending that taints the episode", Love and monsters is your man. (if only we could get a "Supertramp" themed episode next).

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

To this day, I have never seen Fear Her. I think it's the only episode of the revival I haven't seen. :colbert:

Metal Loaf posted:

I mentioned - either earlier in this thread or at the end of the last one - that this probably has a lot to do with the demands and expectations of contemporary television (and perhaos genre television especially) as compared with Classic Who. In the classic series, a companion could leave the TARDIS and never really look back (unless they died). The Doctor would wish them well and continue with someone new next week. To some degree, this isn't necessarily an option for the new series - my impression is that contemporary audiences would be more likely to ask, "Well, why couldn't the Doctor just go back and see/rescue his friends after they leave?" Do you see what I mean?

This is why Rose was trapped in Pete's universe at the end of season two, why Donna had her memories erased, and why Amy and Rory are stuck in the past in what's essentially a time-breaking paradox minefield. The writers needed to come up with a watertight explanation for why the Doctor just couldn't go back to see them once the actors left, and it sometimes felt just a wee bit too neat, if you get my meaning.

Obviously, the big exception is Martha, but I suppose she's an odd case owing to a host of issue's arising from her characterisation as "Rose's replacement" early on in season three (Jerusalem's reviews went into a lot of detail on this point).

Indeed. Part of the problem is too that in episode after episode, the Doctor moves heaven and earth to save companions...except when he doesn't. He'll rewrite history and break the laws of time to save his companion, except those times he bailed on ones like Peri, Captain Jack, Sarah Jane, etc. I mean, realistically, in universe, is there any reason why, say, Three just didn't immediately try to get Jamie and Zoe back once he had time travel capability again and the semi-blessing from the Time Lords to go about his business? Erased their memories? Puh-lease, like he couldn't have fixed that! Same goes for any other companion who doesn't leave voluntarily. And that gets rarer now too, as we've had it enforced that traveling with the Doctor is the Best Thing Ever and even if you want to go home you totally can and he'll just pick you up whenever. Rose (til she alt-universed), Amy/Rory, and now Clara have shown us that wanting to be with your family and have a stable home and job aren't even reasons to stop adventuring with the Doctor.

I don't see much of a way out of this situation though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It's funny because Fear Her is so irredeemably awful, but the same writer goes on to write the (imo excellent) flesh two parter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Baby Tom Baker looks exactly like Tom Baker as some weird teenager.

Davison looks older than he did as the Doctor.

Colin looks like he could have played Captain Jack.

David looks like a tremendous goober.

Matt looks the same because he was a baby when he was cast.

Capaldi's eyebrows are evidently a part of established history.

... that's all I can say.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Watching Day of the Doctor yet again. I haven't watched a movie this many times since The Princess Bride. It's so rewatchable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm rewatching Army of Ghosts/Doomsday for the first time in years and I can't stop being so happy with the extended Cybermen/Dalek pissing contest. It's like something out of Mean Girls.

THE CYBERMEN ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT.

What is that?

YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING.

:nyd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The way the Dalek basically shakes as it yells is the best, it's so indignant at the concept that this non-Dalek thing has the temerity to exist. :allears:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Whoa, Syl used to be pretty.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Republican Vampire posted:

Whoa, Syl used to be pretty.

A Doctor Who actor who used to be pretty you say?

:swoon:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Freaking Eccleston was/is one hell of a looker.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I don't think I'd say Troughton used to be pretty. He was handsome, dignified, and very striking. But his presence is too commanding for 'pretty' to really be accurate. He's more like Jon Hamm. He's got this cartoon pilot quality.

Also Pertwee looks like a bad action figure of Mr. Schue from Glee.

Darth Freddy posted:

Freaking Eccleston was/is one hell of a looker.

For the optimal effect, find one where he's looking broody and put on some Bronski Beat.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 30, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Actually, it's funny how odd McGann looks in that picture. He's one of the "heartthrob" Doctors nowadays, but in this picture he looks awkward and his nose is all funny.

Colin still has the best/strangest picture of the set because while you can see "our" Cbakes in his brow and chin, his hair and posture and cheeks are all radically different.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm rewatching Army of Ghosts/Doomsday for the first time in years and I can't stop being so happy with the extended Cybermen/Dalek pissing contest. It's like something out of Mean Girls.

THE CYBERMEN ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT.

What is that?

YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING.

:nyd:

THE DALEKS HAVE NO CONCEPT OF 'ELEGANCE'

THIS IS OBVIOUS

:allears: Intergalactic Sass-Off.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Doomsday was way better - or, at least, way more fun - than I remembered it being. And the end credits have Catherine Tate and the Middle Eight.

Heh, Catherine Tate and the Middle Eight. That's a name for a thing!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Young Troughton always reminds me of Fleming's description of Bond.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUDTNsADxc

They even did a special hour-long episode when they had him on! They knew what they were dealing with all right.

(Also of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ByxRLNKn0)

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

He's like Alan Partridge in soft focus.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Mr Boods was listening to some comedy off Radio 4 when I came in the other day, and I thought one of the actors was Yahoo Serious. Nope, he says, 'That's David Tennant doing an Australian accent! :haw:'

Just flicked through that episode of The Bill to see the young, dewy version of David Tennant. Hmmm...looks like a young version of Yahoo Serious.

Now I want to watch Young Einstein again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Just to prove once again the truth that there is no such thing as a consensus opinion on any Doctor Who episode, I think that Fear Her is a perfectly unremarkable, forgettable and standard story. It's just that the last few minutes with the Olympic Torch are SO bad that they color all other reactions to it. That ending is loving atrocious. It's utter poo poo and even taking the message it puts out at face value does nothing to justify how terrible it is.

Yeah, last time I watched Fear Her I was surprised at how much I was enjoying it, right up until the end. Take that out and you have, well, not a great episode but a perfectly watchable one and well superior to, for example, Voyage Of The Damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Moving on, please.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661555

• Locked thread