Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

From the Doctor Who World Tour Q&A in Rio:

Capaldi's FAAACEEE

(He went on to admonish the silent crowd with the phrase "And you call yourselves Doctor Who fans)

This is the best. Capaldi is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Just saw DoctorWhat on BBC America!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

Oh and there's a weird predestination paradox with the doctor's appearance, I guess he now gets to choose what he looks like which is weird because he always seemed surprised by it before. Ok cool, and the paradox doesn't matter it's a time travel show, who cares about time travel.

The show has been consistently inconsistent about how much control a Time Lord has over there new appearance. Usually, there's no indication that they have any control, but then there are also counter-examples like Two being presented with several choices by the Time Lords, or Romana trying on different faces as if they were outfits before settling on a face she knew from a previous adventure (sounds familiar).

That said, I don't think this episode was inconsistent with most regenerations. Any control he had over the new face seemed to be completely subconscious. He even said he doesn't know where the faces come from. His subconscious self is trying to tell his conscious self something, and he doesn't know what it is yet. I think it's perfectly believable that he's always had some amount of control subconsciously without him ever realizing it most of the time.

As for the episode itself, I enjoyed it but didn't love it when I saw it at the New York event last week. Now after seeing it again, I realize that the big party atmosphere of seeing it at a big fan event must have predisposed me to liking it, because that was just not very good. It picked up for me once The Doctor seemed to lose his regeneration amnesia or whatever, and I think Capaldi and Coleman were great together, but the episode itself was still mediocre at best.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Back in the late Tennent era I would always be shocked when I would finish an episode, come to the thread thrilled and ready to discuss how awesome the episode was, and everyone was panning it. This has continued constantly for the last half decade (I have never seen an episode of doctor who live I didn't enjoy) so it doesn't break my heart like it used to. It even pushed me into saying some dramatic things about live theater.

This is generally me too, but sometimes on a second viewing I enjoy it a lot less, as was the case here. Maybe the lesson is that I should only watch things once.

And finally, as for the opening titles, I could take or leave the visuals, but I love the new version of the theme music. My only complaint is they still don't include the middle eight.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Bells of St John:

She also later said that she got the number from "a woman in a shop", who was presumably the same one who placed the ad, who I would assume is Missy.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

...Peter Capaldi's talent? That scene was great? :confused:

Also the homeless guy was Elisabeth Sladen's husband.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

It's just bigger on the outside :shrug:

I know you're joking, but what bothers me most about the T-Rex is that it would be totally believable for this show to give some kind of handwavey explanation about how the TARDIS or something caused it to grow this size, but instead they had Vastra insist "No, most of them really were that big!"

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

There's a lot to complain about it in this episode, including that the T-Rex doesn't really feel like it fits with the tone of the rest of the episode and probably should have been cut for story reasons, as well as the fact that the CG for the T-Rex is bad and also forced them to use a lot of green screen at the beginning that made everybody look weirdly out of place.

But if you're complaining that the dinosaur was too big, you may be watching the wrong show. Who cares if it was too big?

I'd counter that if you're complaining about bad special effects, you're watching the wrong show.

I don't care that they had a dinosaur that was too big. I care that they had someone call out the fact that it's too big, and instead of going with the kind of one-line, meaningless, pseudo-scientific explanation they use all the time on the show they went with "they were all like that".

As you correctly pointed out though, the episode had plenty of more serious issues to complain about.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

How's this? I'd have to resize it, of course, and maybe do some clever flipping job while preserving the question-mark orientation and coat-color layout, but I think it's appropriately dorky
...and self-righteous
...and smug
...and Sixish...

THE COAT is not symmetrical. Trying to flip the image would be problematic.

EDIT: Oh you pointed that out already. I need to learn to reaad.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

Has the whole episode shown up online yet? Sadly I don't have cable and can't get it through the normal venues. And I don't really want to wait a year until it gets added to Netflix.

You can buy it on iTunes, Amazon, or Google Play. If you want it for free, as far as I know the only legitimate way is through iPlayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

Are they airing every new episode every Saturday?

No, they're airing one new episode every Saturday :v:

• Locked thread