Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's so close I can taste it! Kinda... purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Quoting for the new thread:

PoshAlligator posted:

So I'm putting together a little fan project/challenge. I would be interested in knowing what people think or if they would be interested in taking part or hearing more.

It's called Target Novelisations Regenerated, and here is a link to an empty WordPress that will eventually be filled.

The idea is to write sort of Target-esque novelizations of modern Doctor Who stories, but the twist is that they feature different Doctors than they're "Supposed to". Someone who is taking part in the challenge (which is what it is, it's not a full blown project really) is, for instance, doing Midnight with Troughton; another is doing Voyage of the Damned with both Hartnell and T. Baker (actually that's me). Ideally it will be interesting to explore the differences, while at the same time writing around a pre-existing story, but with enough leeway to change things. Of course, Midnight will be called Doctor Who and the Midnight Creature.

It's called Regenerated, but it's sort of like a remix, really.

I'm surprised nobody has done this before, so let me know if they have. If anyone would like to take part or whatever, let me know.

DWM did something similar years ago imaging stories with different Doctors, like having Spearhead from Space as 8's first story, etc. good feature.

Suffice to say I'm up for this too! Email me here: doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com

And anyone who uses the Fifth Doctor and doesn't employ the phrase "pleasant, open face" is no real Who fan! :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

That sounds cool. Anyone know what issue that was?

Issue 310 (which I just found out by reading tiny text on an archive of DWM covers ).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's amazing how easily McGann slipped into the physical acting side of the Doctor again.

There's a certain rapidity to the way the 8th Doctor moves in the TV Movie. His head will dart around looking at things, taking it all in, and he does that again in the opening scene of Night. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Just when being a Doctor Who fan couldn’t get any better, Big Finish takes it up another notch!

Now…which classic villains do you think Moffat/Capaldi will bring back this year to haunt us? Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Sillurians. Who’s next?

Do you want to know? Head over to the spoiler thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That's some shoddy CGI. Please no more Vastra.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Stop stealing the Brig's lines! :argh:

Also, that title sequence is pony, and the music is weak.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MURRAY GOOOLLLLD~~~~

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok that was funny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"Oh we have this dress worn by another version of you."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Comedy medical exam. Hilarious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A skin hot air balloon? Jesus Christ. :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh Matt :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Smith is selling the hell out of this. :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok that wasn't bad at all. Still not feeling the new theme tune.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

d3c0y2 posted:

One question though, can timelords hold there breath for a long rear end time.

Respiratory bypass system.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So Clara has become Meg?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

An Adventure in Space & Time is on BBC2! I forgot how good it is. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Plavski posted:

One of the best things Gatiss has done. So much love on screen.

I wonder if they'll redo the Smith bit like they said they would.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

As in fix the effect, or replace him with Peter C?

Replace him with Capaldi, yeah.

Edit: no, they didn't.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 24, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ganash posted:

He also has zero clue how to empower a woman without making her a lesbian, although he did make Clara more robust without making her a whore or butch.

Jesus Christ. :cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Ahhh... a noble brow. Clear gaze. At least it will be given a few hours sleep. A firm mouth. A face beaming with a vast intelligence. My dear child what on Earth are you complaining about? It's the most extraordinary improvement.

I miss the old Doctor. He was sweet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So if the Paternosters' gadgets felt forced in, there's a reason for that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/articles/bp-doctor-who-competition-winners

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Clearly Missy is a Type 103 TARDIS and she was standing inside her own console room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vegetables posted:

I have a dorky story in my mind that revolves around the idea that during the Time War Time Lords would have created TARDISes whose external shells were copies of their pilots, so that Daleks would think they were fighting defenseless soldiers then suddenly end up against something that was by and large indestructible.

This is the book you want. (No, seriously, it's really good.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vegetables posted:

Ah, I have it! Clearly I've remembered the idea from in there and imagined I had it myself. I'll need to re-read it to check if I've stolen my other ideas for "absurdly powerful things a TARDIS is capable of" from there.

There's stuff from Alien Bodies about Marie (a Type 103) that would qualify too. She had weapons that could crack a planet open (settle down at the back). For all the ribbing Lawrence Miles gets, he had some absolutely cracking ideas, and you have to imagine that his creation of the Time War (between the Time Lords and the Enemy) had to have played into RTD's Last Great Time War concept, even a little. Especially when they start talking about like the Nightmare Child and the army of Meanwhiles and Never Weres.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vegetables posted:

Yeah, I completely agree. As does Lawrence Miles, who I've always had a soft spot for. But I was reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and thinking about applying the same sort of reasoning to elements of Doctor Who, and, well...would you even need a planet cracking weapon, if you had a TARDIS? Couldn't you just materialise into the centre and disguise your ship as a sun? Obviously this is a line of reasoning that breaks the show if it's taken too far, but I've always liked the idea that the Time War would be full of nothing but ideas that would break the show.

That's why I'm glad we don't see it, too. There would be no way to depict it on screen without driving you mad. The last day from DotD makes sense as a shooty bang bang battle because that's all that's left, the truly mind-bending conceptual weapons have been used up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I credit the coat, as in all things.

Multiple are its patterns. Blessed be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One day I'll be grey and then I'll put together the best War Doctor costume. I should start now.

• Locked thread