Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The problem, I think, is that we've changed how we think of technology. We instinctively see it as something to liberate us and make everything easier, and i think that makes it harder for people to see tech as something encumbering that makes us worse. The most striking thing about the Tenth Planet look is that they're very clearly weighed down by all that gear. Also it's hard to direct someone weighed down like that without losing the sense of menace.

It's far from impossible though. Have Jesse Armstrong adapt Spare Parts and give it to someone talented to direct, and you've basically got the start of Cybermen being thematically coherent and interesting for the first time since years before most of us were born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

You have to pick the right person though. I mentioned Armstrong because of his Black Mirror episode, but gently caress, maybe they should just give the Cybermen to Brooker. Tech, our reliance on it, and how it ruins everything is what he's all about...

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Actually... yeah. He's a fan. He has a history or producing internationally successful, idea-driven science fiction. Why hasn't he written for the show, and why isn't he in talks to replace GMS?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Whoa, Syl used to be pretty.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I don't think I'd say Troughton used to be pretty. He was handsome, dignified, and very striking. But his presence is too commanding for 'pretty' to really be accurate. He's more like Jon Hamm. He's got this cartoon pilot quality.

Also Pertwee looks like a bad action figure of Mr. Schue from Glee.

Darth Freddy posted:

Freaking Eccleston was/is one hell of a looker.

For the optimal effect, find one where he's looking broody and put on some Bronski Beat.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread