Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, I'm not quite of drinking age, so the Way Station isn't really in my purview.

Within your purview? Where do you think you are, in some loving regency costume drama?

...okay, I've got all my Malcolm Tucker references out of my system ahead of time. Bring on Capaldi's Doctor!

Also, do they seriously have a Doctor Who themed bar in New York?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah it's not some elaborate joke.

That's a little bit awesome. I guess they really do have a bar for everything in New York.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Okay, caught the episode. It was pretty bad, but since regeneration stories are kind of a 50/50 anyway, I still have a positive outlook on the upcoming series.

Some things that I thought were good:
- Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman turned in really good performances.
- The scene with the Doctor and Clara in the restaurant was really good. It was the first time Capaldi's Doctor was kind of allowed to be himself, instead of a post regeneration mess, and the actors seem to work great together. One might argue even better than the chemistry Jenna Coleman had with Matt Smith.
- The scene where Capaldi's Doctor confronts and either talks the bad guy into suicide or kills him. I liked the tone of the scene, and the ambiguity. Also, the Doctor's entire speech about the bad guy mirroring his own experience.
- Matt Smith's cameo was unexpected and great.

However...
- Matt Smith's cameo also was terrible, as well as Clara's whole initial reaction to the regeneration, because Clara is the one person who should know about and be okay with regeneration since she has seen every version of the Doctor that there is and knows that he doesn't always look young. The fact that this part of her character was totally forgotten just to conveniently reassure new fans of the show who haven't seen a Doctor with gray hair yet strikes me as fairly stupid. And since that is also Matt Smith's entire reason for being there, it kind of undercut his cameo. These things might have worked if the companion was almost anyone other than Clara.

I also thought these things were bad:
- Moffat reusing plot points again, at least he hung a lantern on it this time. Maybe he's starting to realize he needs new ideas.
- Madame Vashta, Jenny, and Strax need to go away. At this point, they are the recurring characters that aggravate me most in Doctor Who, a title previously held by Sabalom Glitz and that stupid worm guy from Vengeance on Varos.
- Excessive slapstick post regeneration.
- A dinosaur in the Thames.
- I'm not sure how I feel about yet another over-arching series long plot. We'll see if it turns out to be good. But I wish that we'd just have a series that wasn't burdened by it. A lot of the time, great stories have over-arching plot shoehorned into them at the last second, and when the over-arching plot isn't very good it really drags everything else down with it. In the days of RTD, this stuff was just limited to an innocuous (or not if you were paying attention for it) code word, but under Moffat, they've kind of become more noticeable, which can make them more forced.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Missy's gonna be New Adventures Death and it's going to be disappointing.

I feel like the only way I will end up liking that new series arc villain is if she turns out to be the Black Guardian or something.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Didn't K-9 refer to Romana as Mistress...?

(I actually could get down with evil!Romana)

Yeah, that actually could be quite interesting. Which means that probably is not it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Matt Smith just said two episodes ago that he can't really remember his age and is likely lying whenever he says it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

On a completely different subject, what's the best Pertwee episode that isn't Spearhead From Space, Inferno, The Claws of Axos, Carnival of Monsters, or The Three Doctors? Ideally one that's available on DVD.

This is from a couple pages ago, but you should watch The Ambassadors...

OF DEATH!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Espilae posted:

Thanks for that! The kind of haunted look-away thing he does after the platter's taken away is pure gold as well.

I was just going to mention that the look away at the end of that speech was what sold it for me.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

You guys got me thinking about Troughton and now I want Power of the Daleks to get found already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

After The War posted:

I wish I could be like you and forget the filler sequences in The Armageddon Factor. The only moment I've ever enjoyed the cast being shrunken was in Planet of Giants when Hartnell realized he could start fires in a whole new way. :flame: :3:.

On the other hand...

Someone's forgetting the first cliffhanger in Carnival of Monsters...

• Locked thread