Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That Chaser sketch is the most important thing Australia has ever provided to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jerusalem posted:

So... exactly 12 hours from now, yeah? :shepface:

It'll be on at 4:30AM here. I'm still torn on if I should see the premier or just catch the 7:30PM airing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gonz posted:

GET HYPE, FOOLS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBeV5bQW70

(A fanmade trailer, but a great fanmade trailer, nonetheless.)

My favorite part of this trailer is that he was intentionally very vague and ambiguous, and still managed to get it all wrong. He went very Jesus, and then oh, hey, turns out the Twelfth Doctor is gonna be a combination of the Third and Sixth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's kind of weird to try judging a regeneration episode (on either side of it) on its own merits, because unlike most episodes it serves a purpose. It introduces us to who the new Doctor is, and I think Deep Breath did that well, Capaldi's got a lot of strong moments. For similar reason I'm inclined to accept the presence of Vastra's crew, because they do help acclimate us to the situation and drive it in a way that no other characters would quite be able to. Kate Stewart maybe, but that's about it, and Vastra was probably the better pick for criticizing Clara.

The actual plot of the episode's all over the place. It could've done without the dinosaur for sure, since beyond the first scene all it does is hint at how long the ship's been there, which isn't actually all that important. The mystery of the murders is pretty superfluous too, since it more or less reaches them before they reach it. The clockwork maintenance robots were a fun thing to see come back (although it now leaves the Empty Child as the only RTD-run Moffat episode he hasn't plundered), and they at least keep the plot on track when they turn up, but I'm not sure I like the fact that they're doing the same thing as last time. They arrived at the conclusion of cannibalizing the crew of the Madame de Pompadour because of a very extenuating set of circumstances, and I don't think it makes much sense that they'd come to the same conclusion in an entirely different context.

Otherwise, pretty solid. It's a passing episode for sure, and I'll pass judgement on the overarcing plot of Missy when it actually comes to pass, but it wasn't too bad as-is. The Matt Smith cameo was nice but ultimately unnecessary, and I honestly can't tell the new console room apart from the last one, but it seems pretty good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Burkion posted:

"Why were these Clockwork Robots? Why couldn't they have been Cybermen?

I thought it was gonna be a Cyberman thing too, when they kept mentioning 'spare parts'. I don't think they would've worked quite as well as the clockwork bots, since one of the things I liked about them was their 'intelligent stupidity'. They're stupid enough to repair machines with biological parts, but smart enough to actually pull that off, and that carries through to everything they do. Smart enough to fake a restaurant for victims, stupid enough to populate it with Chuck E. Cheese animatronics for a disguise. Smart enough to be threatening, stupid enough to be fooled by holding your breath.

For all their faults, no matter how they're written, the Cybermen are at least genuinely intelligent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think if they used the Cybermen, we'd just be picking on Moffat for ripping off Closing Time instead. Especially since they wouldn't pull something as complex as Cybermen humanizing themselves for Capaldi's first episode; you sort of need to give a Doctor something relatively simple for their first story, since the focus is supposed to be on introducing the new guy. If it was Cybermen, it would've had to be the usual Cybermen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Metal Loaf posted:

"The Next Doctor" surely?

Next Doctor for 'Cybermen in Victorian England', Closing Time for 'Cybermen in the back of a shop'. I feel like Closing Time would've taken precedence, though, since that's the plotline, instead of just the setting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Plus, I know I'm in the minority here, but The End of Time was the perfect end to the Master, and I hope they have the foresight to just leave him there.

Fortunatley, Moffat at least agrees with you there. So when we get the Master back (and we will, eventually) it'll probably be under somebody more capable of using him.

I've got some amount of faith in Moffat still, but even I'm not sure he could do the Master right. His strong suit is in the alien enemies, things that are certifiably inhuman.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ugh the new theme.

Am I the only one that likes it? The music, not the graphics. I like that weird, high sound to the melody (is that a theremin? I'm bad with instruments).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pinwiz11 posted:

And then Matt Smith showed up (I STILL MISS YOU MATT SMITH) :dance:

It's kind of weird watching it without him. I've been watching since Tennant, so I've experienced a regeneration before, but Matt Smith was my Doctor, and will probably remain my favorite for a long time. It's going to be strange to sit down every week and not get Matt Smith being a crazy person for an hour.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

VBane posted:

2. The use of Vastra was pretty necessary here. They needed people that know The Doctor and Clara to help guide her through it. The only people that fit the bill is Vastra's crew. Yes, this is their 5th episode, but at least they are more interesting than Mickey and Jackie (no offense to them)

I said it before, but UNIT and Kate Stewart might've been the only other option. And between them, Vastra's probably the better choice in terms of actually guiding her through it; Kate probably would've been quite hard on her and just forced her on-task until the Doctor proved himself to her anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

armoredgorilla posted:

It doesn't matter either way. Either the Doctor talked him into it or he forced him out.

Same result, both caused by the Doctor.

It really changes what kind of Doctor we're dealing with, though. The revival series has been full of 'men who never would', but who would certainly get a lot of other people to do it for them, and convincing him to jump is in line with that.

On the other hand, if he did force him out, we're dealing with the best kind of Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

(I love this video)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Didn't Tennant have this rather good monologue about how he "got clever" regarding either convincing the enemy to off themselves or others to fight them? At least I remember it was good.

And thinking more about it, this episode really reminded me of The Christmas Invasion where we really didn't know what to think of this Doctor, and Rose spent most of the episode trying to resolve this version of the Doctor with the one she'd known.

Yeah, it's very similar to the Christmas Invasion in a lot of ways.

I honestly think, though, that while the Christmas Invasion was probably a better story, Deep Breath is a better post-regeneration story. Unlike a lot of stories, both in Doctor Who and indeed in television at all, immediate post-regeneration stories like Deep Breath have a job: show us what this new Doctor is like and who he is. The 'actual plot' has to take a backseat to that.

As good as The Christmas Invasion is, and as much spotlight Ten takes when he's awake, he does still spend most of the episode asleep. We only get to see how he handles at the end, and spend the rest of the episode focusing on Rose reacting to the regeneration (which I suppose is fair enough, since it's sort of exploring the concept for people new to it). We get to see Tennant taking on a problem head-on, and being vindictive about people defying him, and... that's about it.

With Deep Breath, we see a lot more of how Twelve acts. We see how he approaches problems, how he fares in a crisis, how he treats his enemies, and even how he treats himself. Quite simply, since he's up and about the whole time, we learn a lot more about him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jsor posted:

or something weird like the Master and the Rani's kid

I'm going with this, because it's an idea so terrible that whatever it is can't help but be better than it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Does Clara actually remember what all the other Claras did, though? Because I'm pretty sure it's never been said that she does. She remembers the awful lot of runners inside the Doctor's timestream, and she seems to at least know what happened, but she didn't literally live all those lives and meet all those Doctors. (EDIT: beaten)

She's still pretty far ahead even if she doesn't, thanks to meeting War and Ten, but she isn't as extensively familiar with the Doctor as people seem to be asserting, and has certainly never had to grapple with the idea of 'her' Doctor regenerating in front of her. Going to the fairly fitting analogy that Clara represents the fanbase, this is akin to experiencing your first regeneration story yourself; you definitely knew that the Doctor changed every so often, and you might've had experience of previous ones through multi-Doctor episodes or archival viewing, but that's still very different to watching your first regeneration, of 'your' Doctor.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 25, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ganash posted:

All that being said, I literally laughed out loud when Peter went on about his eyebrows. "You can open bottle caps with these things!" That tickled me more than anything Who has in a long time. I wonder if Peter added that himself? It was gold the way he delivered it.

Apparently not; Moffat highlighted his eyebrows as a great comedic tool early on, and Capaldi had never thought about it before.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

One day I'll be grey and then I'll put together the best War Doctor costume. I should start now.

Buy the clothes new now, and just wear them until you become grey. Then they'll be realistically worn, too!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

(The Smash Brothers thread got mad when I suggested that Zero Suit Samus, as a concept and in design, was kind of sexist , but at this point, I think it's more of a playful ribbing than a big red hate avatar. I can't conceive of somebody spending $30 on being angry about being an "SJW".)

I think the first one might've been, but at this point it's clearly just out of comedy. It keeps getting better, too.

I'd say hold off on getting a new one until the game comes out at least, partly because this one is great but also because if you just keep changing it so quickly they'll keep buying them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

Strax and the Doctor as the hunted in a version of The Most Dangerous Game.

This could really work for a story that makes the Sontarans proper enemies. I guess the problem is that they're openly just not as threatening as the Daleks and Cybermen, but their 'violent warrior race' nature means that they can't write smaller episodes for them like they can for others.

Other than a hunting-based story (I could also see it as the Doctor trying to stop a bunch of gung-ho Sontarans from genociding a peaceful endangered species, although that's admittedly a bit preachy), I can only think of one good story for the Sontarans as villains. I could see it working that they get involved in a war far below their level of technology and start curbstomping both sides. This could maybe lead the original armies joining forces in fighting off the new threat, because at least their original enemy cares about the reason behind the conflict. Have it set during the American Revolution or something and you've got a good historical going, but there's no reason it has to be set in the past.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 28, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The one thing I'll say in defense of the Wedding of River Song is that I really like the setting. Every event and period in history occurring simultaneously at around 5PM on a Tuesday is a really fun setting, and a great way to depict 'poo poo Is Temporally hosed'. What they do IN that setting, that's complete garbage, but I can't hate a setting with Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm probably gonna get hate for this, but I actually like the current Cyberman design. The creepy robo-zombies have an appeal, of course, but the current designs are actually really good at something very simple that, while admittedly not a big part of how they're used, actually sets them apart from the rest of the usual stable of monsters: They're actually physically intimidating.

As dangerous as a Dalek is, they don't actually look that terrifying. Nor does an Angel; it's just a statue. The Master is just one man, and no matter how big he acts or what he's using, he's just a guy. Of all the recurring enemies that the new series has used, the Cybermen are the only ones that don't need to demonstrate their power. As a group they're a huge, solitary, disciplined force, but even one Cyberman is still a big guy, with some dangerous weapons. The suits aren't the most mobile, granted, but their stature can still permit some powerful movements and images.

I understand that with this design, they've lost the inherent horror of the concept (although there's still some good fear in the Cybermen when used right). But the current Cybermen can pull off plain old, no-nonsense strength and intimidation better than any other enemy the Doctor has, and I think there's something to be said about that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 29, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CobiWann posted:

As an aside, is anyone a little worried that we’re getting the Daleks SO early in Twelve’s run? I know they have to show up every season, but it just feels weird that the second episode is already the Dalek one. Last time we got one so early in a Doctor’s tenure, it was Victory of the Daleks

I'm kind of happy about it, because it's almost like they're not even wasting time. "Ahh, gently caress it, we all wanna see Capaldi fight the Daleks, he's probably asked for it himself, so let's just get it out of the way quickly so we can get on with things."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you want a menacing, uniform, emotionless, perfectly in time metal menace just use robots. What makes the cybermen unique is the conceptual/body horror elements so they should be designed with that in mind.

I don't see why these two things can't be done by the same enemies. Yes, the body horror and 'they used to be people' side of things is important, and it's the core of a lot of their great moments. But that goes just as well with the Cybermen as we see them now as a theoretical evolution of the original design, in a different way that's arguably easier to pull off. Every Cyberman used to be an individual person, and somewhere in that big hulking mechanical man is their remains... but there's so little of them left in there that all semblance of individuality is gone. They're all in identical lockstep, because no matter how they got in there, the Cyberman machine has co-opted their entire being.

It's a question of which side of things is at the forefront; the 'unfeeling machine' side of the Cybermen, or the 'long-gone ex-human' side. I'd say a good Cyberman story should be able to showcase both, but there's nothing wrong with emphasising the former over the latter. It's probably far easier for the costume department, and far easier to both write and perform stories about (remember that the bulky Cybermen are hardly incapable of the horror side of things). Sure, they don't exactly wear their origin on their sleeve like this, but getting to be the most visually imposing enemy the Doctor faces is hardly an unfair exchange.

The way I see it, you can just write more stories with the current Cybermen. After all, it's not like being bulky and intimidating stopped them from being the enemy in Closing Time, or from their strong scene in The Pandorica Opens. And then you have stuff like Nightmare in Silver, which is a story that could only ever have been told with the current Cybermen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I still like Night Terrors, although I probably wouldn't pick it to watch out of a lineup. It knows what it wants to do, and does it. It also manages to be one of the scariest 'converting enemies' because it actually gets a companion, and even if Amy's back to normal by the end that's still a strong way to raise the stakes.

• Locked thread