Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The_Doctor posted:

Do you want to know? Head over to the spoiler thread.

We all know by now. No need to visit the spoiler thread, the major series arc is immensely tied up in the robotic crab from Paradise Towers returning. In fact, both the TARDIS and Clara were actually the crab the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Not to mention the five whole teamup episodes with Eccelston and the first Doctor (played by the guy who played Hartnell in the docudrama)!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
All the BBC Doctor Who adventure games from 11's run are apparently on sale on Steam for 5 bucks. Am I right in assuming they're probably absolutely terrible and I should not be seriously considering actually buying and playing them?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

This is just about the worst interview I've seen him give, in that he literally says a beautiful woman shouldn't ever speak until her figure starts to go:

http://benjamincook.net/writing/doctor-who-magazine/interviews-and-articles/tom-baker/

It's still well worth reading and you somehow can't hate him. He's simultaneously exactly what he appears to be and some kind of weird, Andy Kaufman figure. He was very probably an angry drunk, difficult to work with and probably not very nice to women, but gently caress if everybody doesn't dream of him just strolling into their local pub, grinning widely, buying everyone a round and beginning to tell his charming stories.

He just feels like your awesome grandpa. "Oh granddad, I know you're from a different time, but you don't REALLY think the mall is poo poo since it 'got taken over by the coons' do you? Now tell me another story. :allears:"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I love how the first regeneration was just Hartnell kind of vaguely fading into Troughton, and now it's basically like a giant nuke. Even discounting The Time of the Doctor, a couple of the regenerations have been fairly destructive.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Regarding Missy's identity, someone on another board pointed out the episode The Mark of the Rani:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mark_of_the_Rani

quote:

The Rani and the Master flee in her TARDIS, but the Doctor has also developed a trick or two: he has sabotaged the navigational system and velocity regulator, and the ship starts heading out of control. In the destabilised condition, one of the jars containing an embryo Tyrannosaurus rex falls to the floor and the creature begins to grow, affected by the time spillage. The Master and the Rani are "stuck" against one of the walls of the Rani's TARDIS, due to the speed at which they are travelling; and are helplessly at the mercy of the rapidly aging immature Tyrannosaurus.

So it's plausible that this has something to do with The Rani. The Master was also involved in that story, so it could be him too (the noted Missy=Mistress=Master connection), or something weird like the Master and the Rani's kid or they got hybridized by timestream nonsense or whatever else. Either way, "the T-Rex was effected by the Rani's TARDIS" would be one explanation for why it's so huge.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 24, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

The twelve regenerations mattered in exactly what? One story in the old series? It's this weird thing people fixate on when it's got almost as little importance as the Doctor's age.

No this is Very Important™. To address this issue satisfactorily, Missy is actually The Valeyard in disguise.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I really like to think the reason the Time Lords gave him extra regenerations wasn't because they agreed with Clara, but just because they were screaming "oh gently caress? He's almost dead ALREADY? We had no idea! That dude is our ticket out of here! Quick! Do something! :supaburn:"

Edit: Though honestly, if they believed her, that should have counted as confirmation that it was the correct reality. Since that's supposedly all the Doctor's name was supposed to confirm, but whatever.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 27, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm still over here trying to figure out why Clara didn't instinctively go apeshit and murder all the Silence priests. So much for that plot point.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like a lot of Series 6. The Silence* are great, IMO, at the very least in concept. I don't know what the consensus is here on them, but its "good" episodes are pretty drat excellent, IMO. I liked the Flesh two-parter, the Christmas Carol special, and The God Complex. Honestly, I think The Girl Who Waited is in the running for my favorite Doctor Who episode ever.

I agree that the overall arc of that series was just a mess, though.

* To be clear, by "The Silence" I mean the Slender Man things, not the overbearing metaplot nonsense where "The Silence" turned out to be some counter-Doctor special ops facility and then a church.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like The Pandorica Opens/Big Bang because I'm a sucker for the Last Centurion and the bit where Amy brings the Doctor back into the universe with the stupid "something borrowed; something blue" seed he fed her. It's so ridiculous and emotionally manipulative. I love it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the "go on..." may be better than the "oh here we go".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I did like the episode where the Cybermen try to make the Doctor into the new planner/designer dude, though that had waaaaay more to do with Smith's acting in that episode than it did the Cybermen themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm not sure if my favorite Who villain is the showrunners, the writers, or the fans.

• Locked thread