Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

He was very probably an angry drunk, difficult to work with and probably not very nice to women, but gently caress if everybody doesn't dream of him just strolling into their local pub, grinning widely, buying everyone a round and beginning to tell his charming stories.

Probably something like this.

Have you heard that one prank call where Culshaw (in character as the Fourth Doctor) rings him up to ask for his help, and Baker stops him and says, "There must be some mistake. I'm the Doctor!" or the one where Culshaw (again as Four) phones Sylvester McCoy, who eventually goes, "Er, Tom, have you been at the pub?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I will like the new episode because I own all five seasons of Sliders on DVD and as such have impeccable taste in genre television :downs:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed it. I thought it was fun. Would watch it a second time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

For all their faults, no matter how they're written, the Cybermen are at least genuinely intelligent.

No way, I've seen "Earthshock".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

"Why were these Clockwork Robots? Why couldn't they have been Cybermen?

Jackson Lake would've stopped them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

I think if they used the Cybermen, we'd just be ripping on Moffat for ripping off Closing Time instead.

"The Next Doctor" surely?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, right, I had "Closing Time" confused with another one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ludicro posted:

Maybe we just all need to accept that there will never again be a Cyberman story as good as The Invasion. This may or may not be related to the fact that Kevin Stoney and Peter Halliday are no longer with us.

"The Invasion" wasn't really a Cybermen story. It was a story with the Cybermen in it, but it wasn't really a Cybermen story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Comrade Fakename posted:

The woman at the end was obviously the new iteration of the Master. She called herself "Missy", i.e. "the Mistress".

I have to admit I'm a bit worried about that prospect, but I'll tell you what; I do not think I would object at all if it turned out she was the one who pinched his ring at the end of "The Last of the Time Lords" because there is absolutely no way it could be stupider than the dungeon cult thing from "The End of Time".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

Showrunners have always existed, probably for DW even before RTD.

"Showrunning" has traditionally been an American thing. It didn't really start to become a feature of British television until RTD and Doctor Who, and it doesn't really seem to have become an essential part of the UK's television landscape outside Doctor Who. The previous arrangement was that what we think of as "showrunning" duties were split between the script editor and the producer, one of whom was responsible for overseeing the "creative" side of the programme and the other the nuts and bolts of running it.

quote:

The problem is that I think most people take issue with the fact that since Moffat is in the position right now, and people don't like how he's running the show in terms of tone, pace, stories, etc., since he usually has final say on what ends up being shot and produced.

Quite honestly, the amount of opprobrium Moffat's subjected to now differs very little from the stick RTD got when he was in charge, unless my memory of the period 2006-2009 has been tampered with.

Moffat's problem is that he's a giant prick who never misses an opportunity to rub people the wrong way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

It's just a location reuse, there's only a few places left that are happy to have Doctor Who film there.

All of them quarries. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Psybro posted:

During RTD's time I found I generally agreed with the bulk of reactions on here to series high/lowlights but it's definitely less predictable now how people will react. I think people are less forgiving of Moffat because he's done better, whereas you knew exactly where you stood with RTD, infuriatingly.

Well, that's the thing; people were pretty hard on RTD from season two onwards and there was a general expectation that it'd be lots better when Moffat took over, on the strength of his episodes, and then he did, and it was. Leaving aside his demonstrated prickishness, which tends to make him a hard guy to defend even when he's doing well, the further he moves away from it, the more season five (and even his episodes under RTD) look like he just caught lightning in a bottle and he's been chasing the dragon ever since to diminishing returns (and I say this having enjoyed some episodes he's done that other people didn't like very much).

There's no significant discrepancy in my own opinions of Davies and Moffat as writers and showrunners. I hold them in roughly equal regard, so perhaps I'm not well-placed to judge. I try to be even-handed about it. I don't know if there's necessarily been a full-on, wholesale revision of opinion; certainly, I think RTD is perceived more favourably now there's a point of comparison than he was when he was actually running the show, and a lot of the goodwill Moffat earned from his standalones and season five has dried up over the past three or four years, but maybe he'll be reviewed more charitably once he's gone and his successor, whoever that may be, is irretrievably ruining everything forever. :shrug:

Neither's as good as, say, Letts, Dicks, Hulke, Holmes or Hinchcliffe, but I don't think either is as bad as JNT at his worst, Levine in general, Pip and Jane, or Eric Saward.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I thought Sontarans breathe via a hole in the back of their neck, and this would make "not breathing" as humans understand it very easy.

I think they eat and reproduce through that.

After The War posted:

See, it can be tricky mix up writers and producers like that, and says a lot for the original separation of powers and the way different styles fit different eras. JNT oversaw some of the most ambitious eras of Doctor Who as well as some of the laziest (or failed to oversee, given the stories of him loving around at conventions in the US when there was work to be done). Season 21 (Saward/JNT) was a fascinating experiment: stories way, way beyond the show's limited capabilities. I hold a deep love for Season 22, in that Saward's paranoia and pessimism lets Davison's Doctor stand out as the one sane voice. His inability to write for a cynical Doctor, on the other hand, doomed Colin Baker's run from the outset. YMMV.

All fair points. I have to admit, I've very mixed feelings about the JNT/Saward era. Some of those stories were my absolute favourites when I was 11 or 12 (ten years ago, if somebody had asked me what my favourite story was, it would've been "Earthshock") and getting into the series through the BBC DVDs, but I think I've probably experienced a personal backlash against a lot of them in the interim. I suppose it's prejudiced me.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Is that a crying sheep? What about Wales? Do they have to settle for a crying leek? Would Northern Ireland have a crying terrorist or could we cut out the middleman and get a crying petrol bomb?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Missy travelled with the Doctor in the past, then one day she fell victim to the mental manipulation of an advanced artificial intelligence and wandered away from the TARDIS without saying goodbye, and somehow found her way into paradise. This is because Missy is actually Dodo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Also, they seem to have done up the opening. I don't like it. (The music is okay, but the visuals are almost as bad as the 80s one).

You can't beat a bit of Keff McCulloch over a swirling purple nebula.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

matty6678 posted:

I can't help but notice that the further we get into the Dr Who reboot the less imagination we are getting with the story lines. There is more repetition of settings. I can remember different planet and enemies every week. Plus the doctors stuck around a little longer.

People were complaining that he never seemed to get much further than Earth - and usually 21st century Earth, and usually London or Cardiff - by the end of the revival's first season. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like "The Silurians", "Terror of the Autons" (first appearance of the Master) and "The Time Warrior" (first appearance of Sarah Jane Smith and the Sontarans).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ewe2 posted:

If it wasn't the initial inspiration for EoT, it's surely the best justification for it. Single best Dr Who joke in my opinion, the greater for not having been made for 40 years.

Nah, it's the beard joke from "Time Crash".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It's a little late for Doctor What on that particular front, though. Go with the first one, Doctor What. I'm thinking of this for the next one:

You might like to scale down this one?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She would've got along great with the Tenth Doctor, but it would've depended on what sort of mood he was in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

Nick Briggs. :colbert:

Briggs and Moffat could co-write a script adapting the Unbound audio play Exile for television. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

History time!

There's also the movie, where McGann's opening narration lays it out: "A Time Lord has 13 lives, but the Master had used all of his."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, that sort of raw, unrestrained sex appeal has been part of Doctor Who for decades. To illustrate:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

I will never get tired of that picture.

Freddie Mercury could've taken mustache lessons from Colin Baker.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
See, I could imagine RTD writing a Ten episode where the Doctor disapproves of Vastra and leaves her to be arrested ("No second chances. That's just the way I am.") then just as he's about to step into the TARDIS, he gets this kind of "Ah, what the hell? I guess she's not bad-looking for a lizard." expression, frees her with the sonic screwdriver and she leaps into the Thames to escape (because flight-capable double-decker buses haven't been invented yet). Haha! Nah, I'm only messing. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

Mickey over Leela? Jeezus H. tapdancing Christ.

Sure, that's nothing. Did you see the 50th anniversary poll (it was up on the TARDIS Data Core) where the single audio story featuring Tennant comfortably topped a list which included "Spare Parts" and "Jubilee"?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Which one? Tennant is in at least four that I can think of off the top of my head.

I mean one where he's the Doctor. I think it was one of the BBC audios rather than a Big Finish one, or something like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

I mean I get that everyone on the show wanted something flashier and definitive for the pair to go out on, it just...didn't quite work.

I mentioned - either earlier in this thread or at the end of the last one - that this probably has a lot to do with the demands and expectations of contemporary television (and perhaos genre television especially) as compared with Classic Who. In the classic series, a companion could leave the TARDIS and never really look back (unless they died). The Doctor would wish them well and continue with someone new next week. To some degree, this isn't necessarily an option for the new series - my impression is that contemporary audiences would be more likely to ask, "Well, why couldn't the Doctor just go back and see/rescue his friends after they leave?" Do you see what I mean?

This is why Rose was trapped in Pete's universe at the end of season two, why Donna had her memories erased, and why Amy and Rory are stuck in the past in what's essentially a time-breaking paradox minefield. The writers needed to come up with a watertight explanation for why the Doctor just couldn't go back to see them once the actors left, and it sometimes felt just a wee bit too neat, if you get my meaning.

Obviously, the big exception is Martha, but I suppose she's an odd case owing to a host of issue's arising from her characterisation as "Rose's replacement" early on in season three (Jerusalem's reviews went into a lot of detail on this point).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of enjoy how in (I think) the commentary for "Attack of the Cybermen", Colin Baker and David Banks make a whole bunch of jokes about the Cyber-Leader's constant exclamations of "EXCELLENT!" even when things are going all wrong for him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason they're doing a Dalek episode is because Peter Capaldi, being a Doctor Who fan his entire life, really wanted to be in one. :unsmith:

I thought it was because they have to be in every season in some capacity or there'll be some sort of legal kerfuffle with the Nation estate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah. Sounds like the Daily Mail. Aren't they basically your Fox News?

They're sort of like a right-wing version of Fox News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

I'm confused. Fox News is incredibly right-wing.

:thejoke:

No, more seriously, I'm completely inured to terrible politicians on the left and right because I live in Northern Ireland, but that's neither here nor there.

• Locked thread