Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

AND FINALLY, this week in Doctor Who history:

22nd August 1964: A Change of Identity, episode 3 of The Reign of Terror, by Dennis Spooner, with William Hartnell, William Russell and Jacqueline Hill. Sounds boffo!

Well, that's eerily appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

And anyone who uses the Fifth Doctor and doesn't employ the phrase "pleasant, open face" is no real Who fan! :argh:

The Pirates! In an adventure with... series by Gideon Defoe has a slightly alarming number of Target Books phrases that keep cropping up as an in-joke for people like us, and this is probably the most frequent one. You should all read the series as it's excellent; the Who stuff is just a bonus really.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

While we're all waiting for Deep Breath to air, the Eighth Doctor fanfic I've been working on is now finished. Marvel! As the Doctor is tied to a chair. Gasp! As the Doctor is punched in the face. Cringe! As he fails to accomplish much of anything at all.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I quite liked the first half of this, to be in a minority. I liked that it firmly focused on Clara, and how it managed to make Victorian London seem totally alien and lonely through having so many characters repeatedly dismiss or diminish humans. Clara seemed lost in this to me in a way that reminded me more of Arthur Dent in Hitchhiker's than anything: obviously it's not to that level, but it's something to me that the comparison can even be made. I also liked that people kept making GBS threads on her for having completely understandable reactions to things, as it heightened that sense of total alienation from the world.

But yes. Doctor Who in a universe that's more inhuman than wonderful is an appealing idea to me, and I liked the flashes of that coming through in this. I strongly suspect this is something only I got from the episode, but don't really care: I found it more enjoyable than any episode for donkey's years. I'm excited about this. I hope it doesn't all gently caress up.

e: I did think it was quite strange that Clara and Matt!Doctor were all freaking out about the Doctor being old when from their point of view he was positively ancient a few hours ago, but I know this is the sort of thing most people won't notice or care about.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 24, 2014

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

I think it's more like that Victorian London felt lonely because they only had the budget for ten extras.

I mean lonely in the sense of alienation rather than the sense of "nobody is here"; just not being clear what with it being past midnight.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

In a surprise burst of positivity, here's a quick thing about why I really liked Deep Breath.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Why the gently caress not? Hasn't he spent enough time on Earth to identify with it's cultures?

Yeah, agreed. One day I hope that an alien character having a non=estuary accent should be a fact that just never comes up at all, but until then this seems as good a way to handle the subject as any. "Lots of planets have a Scotland" makes an awful lot less sense when we just saw the Doctor regenerate, in any case.

I hope lots of planets do have a Scotland, though.

e: More human? Really? After an episode where he flirted with a dinosaur? This is the least human the Doctor's been for at least nine years.

another e: Regarding Missy speculation, it's hard to come up with something that isn't really obvious or really poo poo. I did wonder if she was the "missing" incarnation of the Doctor that David Tennant should have turned into at the end of the Stolen Earth, which would fit firmly into the second of those categories but is exactly the sort of thing I can imagine Moffatt doing.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 24, 2014

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

The Doctor becoming more human has been a plot point since literally 1964.

Nah, since The Cave of Skulls in 1963.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Or she's just Clara gone crazy. Twelve's "I'm not your boyfriend" followed up by Missy's "my boyfriend" line were pretty close together, but I don't know if Moffat would have done that sort of foreshadowing.

She could be one of Clara's other selves gone crazy. This is probably what I'd guess if I was made to at gunpoint.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

To be honest, I rather like this idea. It has legs.

I think it's quite likely to be correct, on reflection. It's foreshadowed in dialogue as mentioned above, and suggested in her costume as she's dressed as a nanny. And "mistress" is another word for a female teacher, so the "Missy=Master" thing could be the case of the correct etymology giving completely the wrong answer.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My favourite joke in all Who is probably the line about being overqualified for the job in Part 4 of the Kingmaker, but it both doesn't make sense out of context and is a massive spoiler. In TV Who, it's probably the one about the Easter Island heads being inspired by the Eleventh Doctor, which is quite cruel but made me smile for days.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It just occurred to me that Missy could explicitly be to Clara what the Valeyard is to the Doctor, which would be so extremely stupid that I kind of want it to happen.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Clearly Missy is a Type 103 TARDIS and she was standing inside her own console room.

I have a dorky story in my mind that revolves around the idea that during the Time War Time Lords would have created TARDISes whose external shells were copies of their pilots, so that Daleks would think they were fighting defenseless soldiers then suddenly end up against something that was by and large indestructible.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

This is the book you want. (No, seriously, it's really good.)

Ah, I have it! Clearly I've remembered the idea from in there and imagined I had it myself. I'll need to re-read it to check if I've stolen my other ideas for "absurdly powerful things a TARDIS is capable of" from there.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

There's stuff from Alien Bodies about Marie (a Type 103) that would qualify too. She had weapons that could crack a planet open (settle down at the back). For all the ribbing Lawrence Miles gets, he had some absolutely cracking ideas, and you have to imagine that his creation of the Time War (between the Time Lords and the Enemy) had to have played into RTD's Last Great Time War concept, even a little. Especially when they start talking about like the Nightmare Child and the army of Meanwhiles and Never Weres.

Yeah, I completely agree. As does Lawrence Miles, who I've always had a soft spot for. But I was reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and thinking about applying the same sort of reasoning to elements of Doctor Who, and, well...would you even need a planet cracking weapon, if you had a TARDIS? Couldn't you just materialise into the centre and disguise your ship as a sun? Obviously this is a line of reasoning that breaks the show if it's taken too far, but I've always liked the idea that the Time War would be full of nothing but ideas that would break the show.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

That's why I'm glad we don't see it, too. There would be no way to depict it on screen without driving you mad. The last day from DotD makes sense as a shooty bang bang battle because that's all that's left, the truly mind-bending conceptual weapons have been used up.

Yes, I agree. In my head the hokey resolution was itself the result of some kind of narrative-altering weapon, and don't care that this is very obviously not the intent of anyone involved in the show but

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I just found a mashup of the new theme with the Howell theme with I like quite a lot; it gives the main melody a bit more oomph without really affecting its overall feel. The 80s logo looks better in the new titles than it did in the ones it was supposed to fit into, too.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The thing I didn't like about the regeneration limit being raised in Time is that it's done in a scene that just drags on and on as The Doctor explains how he's had 12 regenerations already even though the actual number has never come up in the new series before. When Clara says he can regenerate, just have him say "not forever"; anyone who actually cares can work out the rest for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My idea for a Sontaran episode was to have a Eurovision special where the universe would end unless they won a sort of interplanetary version of the contest, and the Doctor had to convince them to be spectacular by saying the contest was a bit like a war. I'm aware that this idea is terrible, but a part of me thought it was so terrible it might end up being entertaining in the manner of the contest itself.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 28, 2014

• Locked thread