Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm pretty sure Tom's actually quite clean, at least compared to may of the other British TV television personalities of the era. I mean, he was quite a prick to his costars towards the end of his tenure, but that's practically sainthood compared to his contemporaries.

Aside from Pat's double life, the Doctors have thankfully managed to avoid scandal. I mean the biggest revelation about an of the doctors recently was that Jon Pertwee was a spy, which is friggin' rad.

Tom Baker's excesses seem to be pretty well known and documented - he drinks like a fish and is a randy old goat ("Tom's putting it in now.") I think he's pretty much what he appears to be, which in the current climate of everyone getting Yewtreed is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

This is just about the worst interview I've seen him give, in that he literally says a beautiful woman shouldn't ever speak until her figure starts to go:

http://benjamincook.net/writing/doctor-who-magazine/interviews-and-articles/tom-baker/

It's still well worth reading and you somehow can't hate him. He's simultaneously exactly what he appears to be and some kind of weird, Andy Kaufman figure. He was very probably an angry drunk, difficult to work with and probably not very nice to women, but gently caress if everybody doesn't dream of him just strolling into their local pub, grinning widely, buying everyone a round and beginning to tell his charming stories.

Well, I doubt he's bought a round or even a pint in forty years, but yeah. Also that "pretty women not talking" is up there with Sean connery's infamous "give a woman a slap" for how reprehensible the content is but as you say, somehow Tom Baker is very difficult to hate. Especially when this exists:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeTIjD0T_4

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

loving hell how much reassurance do these tween fans need to keep watching?

A metric fuckton, and it's not even just Tweens. I've seen people pushing thirty that can't accept the idea of anyone older than Tennant. It's hilarious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Whoever that woman turns out to be, I bet it's going to be annoying.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Who cares that the dino was way too big?

It didn't have feathers. Real dinosaurs had feathers. When will fiction start acknowledging this?

On another note, the only time Who media did homosexuality well was in the Torchwood spin-off. In this episode it was just fanservice lesbianism.

Did torchwood do it well? I seem to remember Ianto went from hating Jack's guts thanks to how the Cyberwoman episode turned out to being his fuckbuddy like two episodes later.

Maybe if you ignore season 1, I guess it was pretty full of crap.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not just the opening theme, it's the incidental music. The leitmotifs. The background radiation of "HOLLYWOOD".

Dear god, Clara's Theme is approximately the worst. I'd rather listen to Keff, at least he had an original thought even if he was largely inept.

Look, can you please get a Six avatar so the voice I read that in matches up properly?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

This is a post that requires tact and finesse. Fortunately, I am blessed with both.

:smug:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Espilae posted:

My absolute favourite moment in the whole of Deep Breath was after giving the Broom Speech, Twelve holds up the silver platter for Half-Face to have a good look in the mirror because "..there's not a trace of the original you left! You probably can't even remember where you got that face from!", and Twelve realises he's actually talking about himself. The expression on his face as he thinks about this when Half-Face throws the platter away is a great moment of acting and it's made me so excited for the rest of Capaldi's run, Moffat series arc fuckery notwithstanding.

edit: Hey J-Ru, do you think you could get a gif of that please?

The problem there is that Capaldi is selling the gently caress out of that scene without the plate. I loved that scene but the plate feels like the show going "get it? See? What he's saying also applies to him!"

Take the plate out of the scene and it'd be pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DoctorWhat, lend Capaldi your coat:

https://twitter.com/natalieissharp/status/504180840968892417

• Locked thread