Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Boffo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Boffo indeed!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TL posted:

Tom having Edible Gelatin Infants in his inventory was my favorite part.

Look! Rocks!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

GUYS GUYS GUYS

I love me some Dolctor Who :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

"We've been talking about this for six months," he says impatiently in a topic about a 40 year old television show.

In English too, a language that has existed for hundreds of years. On a planet that's 4.5 billion years old. Wow!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

His last season was awful and he's nuts now, but you can't tell me Tom's first few seasons aren't great.

You're a crazy person, his last series was pretty drat good. First three stories are poo poo, but State of Decay and Logopolis are both excellent and Tom's rather tired acting fit the theme exceptionally.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

When you watch the new title sequence remember that the creator of it had this to say: "If it's so obvious, why hasn't it been done before?"

That's the level of intellect we're dealing with here

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

I haven't seen it yet so let me guess: a clock in which the hands are spinning backwards.

Also there's some gears

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

In summation: :itwaspoo:

Jerusalem posted:

That's an awfully big T-Rex

About twenty times larger than real ones, as it happens. It'd be like having a cow the same size as Christ the Redeemer.

The_Doctor posted:

Comedy medical exam. Hilarious.

Don't forget that this episode was nearly twice as long as a normal episode because this kind of stuff was just too important to cut

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: And please never, ever, ever again use as terrible a sound effect as was used in the Doctor/Vastra mental link scene :cripes:

BOINK!

Crazy Man posted:

Not sure about the clock vortex, but the rest of the titles *look* good. As far a the sound goes, not sure about the extra high pitch.

No they don't, the TARDIS looks like My First Maya Box

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Visually the episode might as well of been titled "BUDGET PROBLEMS."

The initial shots of London looked like they'd just greenscreened onto the CGI from Gormenghast.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Crazy Man posted:

God, I must be a weirdo for not thinking they're overdone. Except maybe in the Crimson Horror. But I just thought that was a very mediocre episode in general.

This one was a better Victorian story, but is not by any means the best Victorian story they've done.

Until this episode I wasn't tired of Strax. I am now tired of Strax.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

BRB, writing fanfiction.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hank Morgan posted:

If they had just cut almost everything that happens in the episode (except for homeless Capaldi) up to the point where Clara gets the invitation to the restaurant they would have had a really decent episode out of that. As such the first hour was just a dogs dinner when Capaldi wasn't around.

They could even have not had it in Victorian London and cut the idiots too!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Xachariah posted:

I swear every single Moffat written episode I can remember is either modern day earth, earth just before world war two or earth in Victorian times, the man is obsessed with those times and his own snarky alien creations.

Girl in the Fireplace, you should have remembered that one because this episode lifted from it liberally. Also the Library one is in the future, as is The Beast Below, The Angels two parter, and loads of other ones.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Xachariah posted:

Point is he loves the Victorians. He does it too much.

Victoriana can be fun and interesting - look at many of the works of Alan Moore.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

although it now leaves the Empty Child as the only RTD-run Moffat episode he hasn't plundered

He's done "Repeating words = scary" a few times I'm afraid

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The young men in Clara's subconscious who Strax thought were doing sports and then '... it could be sport'.

Clara thinking about sexy young men doing sexy things isn't equivalent to yaoi

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sober posted:

Showrunners have always existed, probably for DW even before RTD.

I love the confidence you show for this when, uh, no, they didn't.

ChaosReaper posted:

I'm watching. I didn't see what was so bad about the new intro. It was nothing special but I don't understand why it's getting as much hate as it is.

Because it's incredibly cliched and obvious and the best parts of the programme are when it's weird and inventive.

The original was weird and inventive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1CydO3s2wY

The one that uses clocks to show that it's about time travel is not.

VBane posted:

2. The use of Vastra was pretty necessary here. They needed people that know The Doctor and Clara to help guide her through it. The only people that fit the bill is Vastra's crew. Yes, this is their 5th episode, but at least they are more interesting than Mickey and Jackie (no offense to them)

Why? Ben and Polly didn't have anyone to guide them through it. Neither did Adric, Tegan and Nyssa, Peri, Mel or Rose. The only previous time that anyone had the slightest clue what was going on was the Brig in Planet of the Spiders/Robot, and Tom Baker being weird undermined that pretty fast.

Nevvy Z posted:

That dinosaur was at least twice as big as it should have been.

Twenty times, more like.

Hollismason posted:

Yes, we get it they're a couple. Why did they just mention that like what seemed like every other scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwN7dVgzh64

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Tennants first episode for my ratings comparison was New Earth and Smith's first episode aired in April. It's Autumn now, not summer.

The middle of August is definitely summer, what are you on

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Leelee posted:

At the end, the Doctor says something to Clara about the woman who wants them to be together- the newspaper clipping was one of the clues, and then he says something about the "computer..."

Can someone refresh my memory as to what the computer reference is to?

The Bells of St John:

quote:

The Doctor (Matt Smith) has retreated to a monastery in Cumbria in the year 1207 to contemplate the mystery of Clara Oswin Oswald (Jenna-Louise Coleman), a woman he has met twice previously but who died both times. The monks disturb him one day to tell him that "the bells of Saint John" are ringing. The Doctor goes to his TARDIS and finds its exterior phone ringing. On the other end is Clara, whom the Doctor initially does not recognise. She is calling for help with her computer, as she cannot connect to the Internet. When Clara uses the phrase "Run, you clever boy, and remember" as a mnemonic for her password, the Doctor realises who she is. He sets off to meet her in person.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Stop sperging about dates. Kids go back to school tomorrow and Labor Day is a week away. Summer is, for all intents and purposes, over.

Another week here, in England, where Doctor Who is transmitted for the ratings we're talking about. We also don't have Labour day!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

Kids are already back at school in Scotland, where it really counts.

Enjoying their last days of wisdom under the glorious Michael Gove wait no I mean Nicky Morgan wait it's not glorious wait the yes vote is going to lose anyway :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I am a broken record on this and I had to stop myself making a pre-emptive post about it half a dozen times before the episode aired but.... this is completely untrue and I'm so sick of having it trotted out.

It's always by MattD1zzl3, he's just an idiot. Ignore it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

I have no time for people who didn't like the new title sequence or the theme.

How is "clocks" a throwback to "bizarre feedback thing"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Post it, don't post it. What's the worst/best that can happen?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Can we lay the "regeneration episodes are hit and miss" thing to bed? All of Doctor Who is hit or miss at about the same hit rate as the regeneration episodes.

fatherboxx posted:

a lovely T-Rex thrice the regular size

I don't know why but I'm tickled when people see that the T-rex is too big but don't quite get the magnitude of quite how too big it is.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

T-Rex height: 15-20 feet
Big Ben height: 316 feet
Deep Breath T-Rex height: 16-21 times bigger

Add up to 30 feet for the depth of the river :eng101:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Agreed, who knew his career would nosedive so hard

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Maybe because they are talking about things that don't involve objectifying her body?

I thought we were talking about Deep Breath, what are you talking about :confused:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

and if one of them had done the "breath saving kiss" I don't think many of us would have batted an eye. So fair enough, IMO.

No matter who was involved the line "I can store oxygen in my lungs" should definitely be mocked.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There have been some really terrible lines in Doctor Who history but that one is up there

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Good lord

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

drat it, people, all this DoctorWhat love…do you want Love and Monsters? Because THIS is how you get Love and Monsters!

No, this is how you get Love and Monsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_cmYrXH85M

Wait, not that Elton

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gynovore posted:

It had been established many, many times, in both the old and new series, that twelve regenerations was the absolute limit which nothing could circumvent

Man, there's posting about Doctor Who canon (which is dumb anyway, well said DoctorWhat) and there's posting about it and getting it really really wrong.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The best thing to come from the latter half of the Smith era was David Warner talking about Ultravox

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

History time!

There being a finite number of regenerations was important in:

1. The Deadly Assassin
2. The Twin Dilemma
3. The Trial of a Time Lord (sort of)

There being 12 regenerations was important in:

1. The Deadly Assassin
2. The Trial of a Time Lord (sort of)

Not only that but Bob Holmes had set up Tom Baker as the final regeneration of the Doctor with the faces in the Brain of Morbius, and we get the stuff with the Watcher in Logopolis.

It's "A Thing" because the fandom fixated on everything to do with the Time Lords, not because it was actually important.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

A little more than that, I'd say. Pretty much all of the Master's arc from the Deadly Assassin onwards was about him having reached the end of his lives

Shrug, all you need to know is that the Master is a walking corpse and wants a new body/is in a non-Time Lord body.

vvv That would be really bad

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 27, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

David Tennant is still the most popular Doctor

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He's going to be up to DoctorWhat in no time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ewe2 posted:

If it hadn't already been X-Men-related it might have been a goer

X-Men? Eh?

Jurgan posted:

With Jack the Ripper, it could maybe be excused. Something like "he's a rich guy and is friends with the Queen, no jury would convict him." It's a little different when it becomes a routine thing. Honestly, I never thought much about it- those references must have just slipped by me, or I didn't think much of them. But you're right, it is a little off.

Gull :argh:

Gynovore posted:

Regarding the regeneration thing, I'm not trying to be a continuity sperg. They needed to break the rule in order to keep the series going, so they did.

They didn't need to break the "rule" because it's not a rule

• Locked thread