Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I rewatched the last couple episodes to lead into the new one, and something struck me in Night of the Doctor, not sure if I missed something or not - the Timelords have been asking "Doctor who?" through the crack to make sure they've got the right place before they come through. Then Clara convinces them to help the Doctor, so they must know they've got the right place and they... give him a new regeneration cycle. Is there a reason they didn't instead/also come through at that point?

(I mean a reason given that I missed, not "can we come up with one.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Psybro posted:

Hey that reminds me, in Time of the Doctor, the Doctor is trying to use a Cyberman head to translate a message that he can't translate but pretty much every other race in the universe has sussed out.

It later transpires to be Gallifreyan. The Doctor is the only remaining Gallifreyan and the message is for him. Everyone but him has translated it.

I didn't see anybody correct this yet (although I may have missed it) -- that's not what happened at all, they were all there despite not being able to translate the message. Then when Handles translated it, (which he can only do because the Doctor gives him the Seal of the High Council of Gallifrey to use to decode it) he explicitly says that the translation will be available to everyone nearby.

It's not that everyone but the Doctor has translated it. It's that him translating it made the translation available to everyone.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Like, if another me wearing the same outfit I'm wearing suddenly appears and hands me a bourbon on the rocks, I can drink it, but I also have to pour another one, get in my time machine, and go hand it to my now-past self.

Marty! You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally! You'd be pouring the same one, not another one!

• Locked thread