Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
It's time to play the highest-powered draft format there is, Vintage Rotisserie. This article gives a pretty good overview, but here's the quick version: You get eight players, they each pick any Vintage-legal card that hasn't been picked yet, and the choices are recorded on a spreadsheet. You repeat this 44 more times, reversing pick order each round - in other words, snaking back and forth down the spreadsheet. Once that's done, each player makes a 40-card deck with their drafted cards plus basic lands (the unused cards being their sideboard), everybody plays a best 2/3 match with everybody else over Cockatrice, best record wins, with playoffs if there's a tie.

Currently drafting.

GottaPayDaTrollToll fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm interested.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Sure, I'll join.

I went to an "anything goes" tournament at the mall, back in the days of Urza's block, and some 40+ bearded guy was there playing with Oath of Druids and moxen. He lost to Fluctuator combo and got super mad. That's enough not-quite-vintage experience for anyone, right? What could go wrong?

(Also I watched the last couple of Shotgun Lotus drafts of this format, and they looked amazingly fun!)

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Super down, sign me up captain!

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Added you guys to the list. Four more and we'll be good to go.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'll give it a shot, the format sounds lots of fun.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Incidentally, if anyone's interested in the format but unsure on whether to sign up, they're streaming it today at http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus right this moment.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I'm up for it.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011
I'm interested, but I'm in Australia, I dunno if timezones will work for me.

I think the meta is wrong, unhinged basic island is the clear first pick over black lotus.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm interested, I'm in the EU. Email is sa.alsod@gmail.com

e: and that's 8 people! This is going to take quite a while unfortunately, even if people are reasonably good about picking a card within a few hours. We'll need some system of email notification certainly.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 24, 2014

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
And that's eight! The pick order will be:

AlsoD
lardnar
The March Hare wildfire1
Snacksmaniac
Ranpire
neetengie
Myriad Truths
GottaPayDaTrollToll

Here's the doc. There's no hard time limit on picks, but please try to keep things moving.

GottaPayDaTrollToll fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 26, 2014

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Note that under Tools > Notification Rules there's an option to receive an email if changes are made to the document, this should help speed picks up.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Perhaps we should make an IRC room or something, too?

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Ranpire posted:

Perhaps we should make an IRC room or something, too?

That's a good idea, I just set up #goonvrd on irc.synirc.org.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

That's a good idea, I just set up #goonvrd on irc.synirc.org.

Can you give me a quick primer on how to IRC? I've never had to use it before.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Sign me up as a replacement if someone no-shows, looks like you're waiting on someone already.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

wildfire1 posted:

Sign me up as a replacement if someone no-shows, looks like you're waiting on someone already.

I'm ready to declare The March Hare a no-show if nobody objects.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Sounds good to me, he was posting in the main topic and I was unable to get his attention there either.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Should I just jump in, or shall we wait a little longer?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone PM him?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

lardnar posted:

Can you give me a quick primer on how to IRC? I've never had to use it before.

Download mIRC, connect to the synirc server (it's in the server list) and then type /join #goonvrd

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Oh poo poo, sorry, I didn't see that we had a set start time or anything. My bad, was seeing Sleep own the gently caress out of my eardrums while y'all were sending me PMs and poo poo. Hope the draft goes well for everyone!

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in posting my pick but I've been having some technical troubles - every computer I try at work seems to have the spreadsheet locked? I'll be able to do more picks at home, but if someone could edit in my pick of Stoneforge Mystic that would be great

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

wildfire1 posted:

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in posting my pick but I've been having some technical troubles - every computer I try at work seems to have the spreadsheet locked? I'll be able to do more picks at home, but if someone could edit in my pick of Stoneforge Mystic that would be great

One possible cause: if you are visiting the spreadsheet by clicking on the 'somebody has made a change' link, that'll take you to the changelog (which you can't edit) rather than the spreadsheet itself.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

AlsoD posted:

One possible cause: if you are visiting the spreadsheet by clicking on the 'somebody has made a change' link, that'll take you to the changelog (which you can't edit) rather than the spreadsheet itself.

Doh. That may be it, I was in a rush we are getting slammed this week at work, so I had to try and do it in between customers.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

snacks confirmed to be a tease and wait long before making picks
Really though everyone seems to be fighting over Blue, which is great for me and a few other guys.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm rooting for the Pod drafter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Some of the card choices seem questionable to me, although I'll refrain from commenting until after the 45th pick.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 29, 2014

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Silver2195 posted:

Some of the card choices seem questionable to me, although I'll refrain from commenting until after the 45th pick.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm picking on a whim at this point! I probably should have gone storm but I have no experience with it at all and didn't want to risk it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I'm being ambitious as hell.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hey cool my email alerts stopped working.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hey cool my email alerts stopped working.

Yeah I've noticed that they're hit and miss too. I think the problem was my phone wasn't alerting me to the next email if I hadn't read the first, since it was from the same person.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
We discussed this in the IRC a bit but I'd like to get everybody's opinion. I think that we should restrict the draft to any cards that were legal when the draft started.

It's not likely that this'll take so long that the next set will come out but it's a possibility and I think it'd create a ton of issues - which hour exactly does it come out, people punished if they don't delay their pick until it does, etc etc.

Thoughts?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I agree.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Yeah absolutely, it's silly to make khan's legal halfway through.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011
That makes sense. It'd make the draft a bit stupid if some huge bomb was spoiled and someone delayed to snipe it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I mean it's a shame because I'd absolutely love to have both the bug charm and the tri-land

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

AlsoD posted:

We discussed this in the IRC a bit but I'd like to get everybody's opinion. I think that we should restrict the draft to any cards that were legal when the draft started.

It's not likely that this'll take so long that the next set will come out but it's a possibility and I think it'd create a ton of issues - which hour exactly does it come out, people punished if they don't delay their pick until it does, etc etc.

Thoughts?

That seems reasonable.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Final stretch, guys.

And then... I guess we actually play Magic? I'd already sort of forgotten the point of this whole exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Myriad Truths posted:

Final stretch, guys.

And then... I guess we actually play Magic? I'd already sort of forgotten the point of this whole exercise.

Nope then we do it all over again!!

I'm working this weekend but anyone who's on post here looking for games. I can maybe squeeze some in.

• Locked thread