Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Tempting, I'd go for that if I wasn't woefully unfunny and Norwegian.

Just wondering, you gonna do the spruced up version of Chains of Memories eventually? I've only seen the GBA version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

Drachir D Nalem posted:

Tempting, I'd go for that if I wasn't woefully unfunny and Norwegian.

Just wondering, you gonna do the spruced up version of Chains of Memories eventually? I've only seen the GBA version.
Yes I am.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Square-enix's storytelling skills"? This exists now?

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

jayman52 posted:

I do yes.

Awesome. I'd definitely be interested in it then. Gotta work out when I'd be available though.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

NEW UPDATE TIME!!

New Characters

King Mickey (a.k.a Mickey Mouse)
The king of Disney Castle and by extension Disney Town. He first appeared in "Steam Boat Willy" back in 1928. VA: Wayne Allwine (Kingdom Hearts – Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days); Bret Iwan (Everything Else)

Donald Duck
The court magician for Disney Castle and the weakest member of Team Sora. He tends to die quite a bit no matter what difficulty setting you are using. His first appearance was in "The Wise Little Hen" in 1934. VA: Tony Anselmo

Goofy
Captain of the Royal Knights of Disney Castle and number two in strength for Team Sora. He gets some pretty nifty abilities later on in the game that really tend to help out. He first appeared in "Mickey's Revue" in 1932. VA: Bill Farmer

Pluto
Mickey's loyal pet and the one who discovers Sora in Traverse Town. He first appeared in "The Chain Gang" in 1930. VA: Bill Farmer

Queen Minnie (a.k.a Minnie Mouse)
The queen of Disney Castle and by extension Disney Town. She first appeared in "Steam Boat Willy" with Mickey in 1928. VA: Russi Taylor

Daisy Duck
Donald's girlfriend and the lady-in-waiting for Minnie Mouse. She first appeared in "Mr. Duck Steps Out" in 1940. VA: Tress MacNeille

Jiminy Cricket
The chronicler of Team Sora's journeys and an overall swell guy. He first appeared in the Disney animated film "Pinocchio" in 1940. VA: Eddie Carroll (Kingdom Hearts to Re: Chain of Memories); Phil Snyder (Re: Coded + everything else)

Chip and Dale
The pair of gummi ship engineers that help out with gummi ship stuff. Chip is the more level-headed of the pair and Dale is a little more rambunctious. They first appeared in "Private Pluto" in 1943. VA: Tress MacNeille (for Chip); Corey Burton (for Dale)

Huey, Dewey and Louie
These three are the nephews of Donald Duck and they run the item/equipment shop in Traverse Town. The three of them first appeared in "Donald's Nephews" in 1938. VA: Russi Taylor (She does all three of them.)

Cid Highwind
Every Final Fantasy game has to have a Cid in it and this apparently includes crossover games with Disney characters. This particular Cid is the one from Final Fantasy VII. He just doesn't swear all that much. VA: Chris Edgerly

Squall "Leon" Leonhart
The whiny, emo pathetic excuse of a man that was nicknamed EmoGit when TheSpoonyOne did a review of Final Fantasy VIII makes an appearance but at least this time he doesn't mope around as much. VA: David Boreanaz (Kingdom Hearts); Doug Erholtz (Kingdom Hearts 2 +)

Yuffie Kisaragi
The cheerful, energetic kunoichi from Final Fantasy VII returns to help get Sora up to speed on what is going on. VA: Christy Carlson Romano (Kingdom Hearts); Mae Whitman (Kingdom Hearts 2 +)

Aerith Gainsborough
The super thoughtful white mage/summoner from Final Fantasy VII returns from the dead and is first met by Donald and Goofy. VA: Mandy Moore (Kingdom Hearts); Mena Suvari (Kingdom Hearts 2 +)

Merlin
The grand wizard from that taught Arthur a thing or two makes an appearance to help Sora with his magic. He first appeared in "The Sword in the Stone" in 1963. VA: Jeff Bennett

The Fairy Godmother
She hangs out with Merlin and teaches Sora about summoning. She first appeared in "Cinderella" in 1950. VA: Russi Taylor

Pongo and Perdita
The parents of the 99 dalmation pups that we have been tasked with finding. They first appeared in 101 Dalmations in 1961. VA: None (No voiced lines.)

The White Rabbit
I guess you could call this funny little guy the record keeper for the Queen of Hearts in Wonderland. Team Sora first meets him when he is to the trial of Alice. He first appeared in "Alice in Wonderland" in 1951. VA: Corey Burton

Card Soldiers
These are the loyal footmen of the throne of the Queen of Hearts. These guys first appeared in "Alice in Wonderland" in 1951. VA: None (They don't talk.)

Queen of Hearts
The mean spirited old woman who seems to rule over Wonderland. Not to be confused with the Princesses of Heart that Maleficent is after. She first appeared in "Alice in Wonderland" in 1951. VA: Tress MacNeille

Alice
The young girl who tumbled down the rabbit hole after the White Rabbit. Team Sora first meets her when she is on trial for attempting to steal the Queen's heart. She is also one of the mysterious Princesses of Heart. She first appeared in "Alice in Wonderland" in 1951. VA: Kathryn Beaumont

The Cheshire Cat
This mysterious creature is the one that clues Team Sora in on the fact that there are some enemies here that really shouldn't be. He first appeared in "Alice in Wonderland" in 1951. VA: None (He doesn't have any voiced lines.)

New Episodes
Episode 003 – "Kingdom Hearts Part 003: Gathering the Last Provisions and Traveling"
Episode 004 – "Kingdom Hearts Part 004: The Gang Gets Together"
Episode 005 – "Kingdom Hearts Part 005: From Traverse Town to Wonderland"
Episode 006 – "Kingdom Hearts Part 006: The Last Bit of Evidence"

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 9, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

jayman52 posted:

Chip and Dale
The pair of gummi ship engineers that help out with gummi ship stuff. Chip is the more level-headed of the pair and Dale is a little more rambunctious. They first appeared in "Private Pluto" in 1943. VA: Tress MacNeille (for Chip); Corey Burton (for Dale)

The easy way to remember who is who is that Chip has the black nose, like a chocolate chip. Of course, the best way to remember who is who is to dress them up in their Rescue Rangers outfits, so that you have Indiana Jones and Magnum P.I.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So, after watching those episodes, I actually have multiple things to talk about! And here I thought I was just going to be talking about magic.

In the episode, you mentioned that Heartless are weird, and brought up the difference between Pureblood and Emblem Heartless. Well, let's get the major weirdness out of the way: Heartless generally speaking do not lack hearts. In fact, they're basically a shell of darkness surrounding a heart. In the case of Purebloods, this darkness corrodes away at the heart, eventually destroying it. For specific, spoiler reasons, Emblem Heartless instead merely contain the heart inside of them.

It's fairly easy to recognize which type of Heartless something is; anything with the Heartless symbol (the red-thorned heart) on it is an Emblem, and Purebloods tend to being entirely black for the most part. Shadows and the Darkside are both Purebloods, for instance, while everything else we've seen has been Emblem. Something interesting to note is that even within these two categories are 'families' of related Heartless. Again, Shadows and Darksides actually belong to one of the two families of Purebloods. These aren't really relevant at all, but when they pop up and I have something else to mention I'll usually make a side note about them.

In any case, we got some magic spells finally. So, first off, the way magic works is that your max MP doesn't just determine how often you can cast magic; it determines how powerful that magic is. Every single type of magic in the game gets more powerful the larger that blue bar of yours is. This is the primary reason people pick the staff; you end up with more MP, making your spells HILARIOUSLY broken.

Our two current spells are Fire and Blizzard. Fire is a long-range, single target missile that has decent homing capabilities. For single-target damage out of the basic spells, it is the best by far, and has the distinction of being the only spell that you can really spam. Every other spell you'll go through the animation again, but Fire will let you just hammer on the button and send out fireball after fireball.

Blizzard, on the other hand, as seen in the videos, is great for groups. It's a spreadshot of ice bullets that expand when they hit enemies. Later levels of the spell expand in larger amounts, potentially hitting multiple enemies and, I believe, potentially hitting the same enemy multiple times for large amounts of damage. It works best against groups of enemies on the ground for obvious reasons.

I also wanted to bring up the different types of weapons you can get Donald and Goofy. In the shop, there were two options for each. Donald uses staves and hammers. I cannot stress this enough: NEVER USE A HAMMER FOR DONALD. They're good for physical attacks with him, but you never want him attacking, and they reduce his MP by one. Max MP powering up spells holds true for Donald! You always want him casting spells if he can with as much magic as he can get.

Goofy gets, well, shields and shields, but they're sized differently. The small ones are more powerful for attacking, while the large ones are more powerful for his own defense. Again, you don't want to use the large ones if you have a good small one! Unless you're loading Goofy up with tons of items, his own survival doesn't matter much (expecially in Final Mix, where one of his support abilities got nerfed) and for the time that he's up, you want him doing as much damage as possible.

Lastly, just as a note about some of the nice touches in this game: During the fight with the cards, if you run up and hit the Queen of Hearts, she falls over and all of the red cards panic. The black cards keep attacking you, though.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 30, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Prythian posted:

I also wanted to bring up the different types of weapons you can get Donald and Goofy. In the shop, there were two options for each. Donald uses staves and hammers. I cannot stress this enough: NEVER USE A STAVE FOR DONALD. They're good for physical attacks with him, but you never want him attacking, and they reduce his MP by one. Max MP powering up spells holds true for Donald! You always want him casting spells if he can with as much magic as he can get.
Staves reduce your MP and Hammers don't? That's a bit silly.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Nihilarian posted:

Staves reduce your MP and Hammers don't? That's a bit silly.

...gently caress. I knew I'd mess up SOMETHING in that post. Fixed now.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Well gang, I just thought I would pop in one more time and ask how everyone is liking the LP so far. Like I posted earlier I will be out of the country starting on Sunday so I won't have access to the internet.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Its fairly good. Your group is fairly good, and you do have a lot information that to say.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You're a mad person, I would love to get in on this when you get back. Skype's "gakugakuparadise"

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Prythian posted:

So, after watching those episodes, I actually have multiple things to talk about! And here I thought I was just going to be talking about magic.

In the episode, you mentioned that Heartless are weird, and brought up the difference between Pureblood and Emblem Heartless. Well, let's get the major weirdness out of the way: Heartless generally speaking do not lack hearts. In fact, they're basically a shell of darkness surrounding a heart. In the case of Purebloods, this darkness corrodes away at the heart, eventually destroying it. For specific, spoiler reasons, Emblem Heartless instead merely contain the heart inside of them.

It's fairly easy to recognize which type of Heartless something is; anything with the Heartless symbol (the red-thorned heart) on it is an Emblem, and Purebloods tend to being entirely black for the most part. Shadows and the Darkside are both Purebloods, for instance, while everything else we've seen has been Emblem. Something interesting to note is that even within these two categories are 'families' of related Heartless. Again, Shadows and Darksides actually belong to one of the two families of Purebloods. These aren't really relevant at all, but when they pop up and I have something else to mention I'll usually make a side note about them.

In any case, we got some magic spells finally. So, first off, the way magic works is that your max MP doesn't just determine how often you can cast magic; it determines how powerful that magic is. Every single type of magic in the game gets more powerful the larger that blue bar of yours is. This is the primary reason people pick the staff; you end up with more MP, making your spells HILARIOUSLY broken.

Our two current spells are Fire and Blizzard. Fire is a long-range, single target missile that has decent homing capabilities. For single-target damage out of the basic spells, it is the best by far, and has the distinction of being the only spell that you can really spam. Every other spell you'll go through the animation again, but Fire will let you just hammer on the button and send out fireball after fireball.

Blizzard, on the other hand, as seen in the videos, is great for groups. It's a spreadshot of ice bullets that expand when they hit enemies. Later levels of the spell expand in larger amounts, potentially hitting multiple enemies and, I believe, potentially hitting the same enemy multiple times for large amounts of damage. It works best against groups of enemies on the ground for obvious reasons.

I also wanted to bring up the different types of weapons you can get Donald and Goofy. In the shop, there were two options for each. Donald uses staves and hammers. I cannot stress this enough: NEVER USE A HAMMER FOR DONALD. They're good for physical attacks with him, but you never want him attacking, and they reduce his MP by one. Max MP powering up spells holds true for Donald! You always want him casting spells if he can with as much magic as he can get.

Goofy gets, well, shields and shields, but they're sized differently. The small ones are more powerful for attacking, while the large ones are more powerful for his own defense. Again, you don't want to use the large ones if you have a good small one! Unless you're loading Goofy up with tons of items, his own survival doesn't matter much (expecially in Final Mix, where one of his support abilities got nerfed) and for the time that he's up, you want him doing as much damage as possible.

Lastly, just as a note about some of the nice touches in this game: During the fight with the cards, if you run up and hit the Queen of Hearts, she falls over and all of the red cards panic. The black cards keep attacking you, though.

I...did not know about the Max MP thing. And uh, I'm guilty of using Hammers on Donald. Really? Goofy's Shields are different dependent on Size? So say, the first shield is the good for physical, but not defense? huh. Learn something new every day.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I'm disappointed in: When the stench came up, no one was immature enough to make a "Fartless" pun :colbert:. Really enjoying this so far, the only games I haven't beaten are Coded (got halfway through) BBS (no psp yet) and DDD (can't find yet)

Also, it surprised me going back to the Alice in Wonderland movie that the door knob was not like he was in KH. He was much more jovial, laughing at his own jokes, one of his better known lines being after Alice finds his key: "One good turn deserves another! Ahhahahahahahaha!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 30, 2014

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing I'm disappointed in: When the stench came up, no one was immature enough to make a "Fartless" pun :colbert:. Really enjoying this so far, the only games I haven't beaten are Coded (got halfway through) BBS (no psp yet) and DDD (can't find yet)

Also, it surprised me going back to the Alice in Wonderland movie that the door knob was not like he was in KH. He was much more jovial, laughing at his own jokes, one of his better known lines being after Alice finds his key: "One good turn deserves another! Ahhahahahahahaha!"

Well, come December 2nd (if you are in America) you won't need a PSP for Birth By Sleep. Well, if you have a PS3 that is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't and I'm not in America. I'm just gonna get a psp for, like £50 from a pawn shop and buy BBS online.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't and I'm not in America. I'm just gonna get a psp for, like £50 from a pawn shop and buy BBS online.

or, alternatively, Emulate the English Final Mix. I have a PSP, but uh, it's the orignal PSP 1000 I got on release. It's literally falling apart.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

jayman52 posted:

Well gang, I just thought I would pop in one more time and ask how everyone is liking the LP so far. Like I posted earlier I will be out of the country starting on Sunday so I won't have access to the internet.

One of the things I'm really enjoying is the voice actor chat, because that's not something I ever really think about when playing games except to go "Hey, this guy sounds familiar."

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
Cool an LP of this game. I have this game I think I got up the second world, the one after alice in wonderland. I really didn't have a clue what was going on to be honest, the combat was sort of odd to me, maybe the LP will make me want to give it another shot if I learn a thing or 2, I also had no idea who any of the Final Fantasy people were, I've only played FF13.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Oh just wait, Migeman, the storyline goes off the rails starting with Re: Chain of Memories.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

jayman52 posted:

Oh just wait, Migeman, the storyline goes off the rails starting with Re: Chain of Memories.

Yeah, Kingdom Hearts has the most convoluted plot ever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Granting that I've not touched this series for years, I'd say those first 3 games... MOSTLY hold together. Each of them have their own problems but they were fine and fair enough.

Then I played Days, which was terrible but liberating because after that I didn't have to ever look at the games again.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Well peoples, I am back from my cruise and I have the episodes ready for this week. I hope you are enjoying the series so far because I sure as hell am. Looking forward to getting back into this and I am definitely glad to be back in the states.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I am, but there's one guy who keeps talking about stuff from games way later in the series. Any chance you could stick to the game you're playing, rather than :spergin: about stuff this game hasn't even hinted at yet?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I am, but there's one guy who keeps talking about stuff from games way later in the series. Any chance you could stick to the game you're playing, rather than :spergin: about stuff this game hasn't even hinted at yet?

I will be mentioning that to all of the participants. Don't worry I will be doing my very best to keep us on topic.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You are restricting the flow of conversation! Down with your iron fist of commentary, let them loose to do as they will!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It looks like Blizzard, much like a shotgun, is kind of poo poo for aiming at longer ranges.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Funny how the spells are this way only for KH1.
They made new roles for each element in KH2 then went back to KH1 styles for the rest.

Actually I'm dumb and each installment had it's different (some less than others) roles for the elements.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 7, 2014

Incel Documentary
Aug 31, 2007

Realistic Conestoga wagon physics!
Yaay you have freed me from the curse of having to finish Birth by Sleep.

Um, anyway, this is pretty cool and I'm excited for Plot Arguments Revisited. Also if you need a person to commentate ever I'm nereidmeriel on Skype.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

You are restricting the flow of conversation! Down with your iron fist of commentary, let them loose to do as they will!

AArgle Bargle!

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Just realized I forgot to add some entries to the character entries. I also updated a couple of the earlier entries in the original post for last week's episode.

Maleficent
This evil witch is the one who tricks Riku into helping her gather the Princesses of Heart in order to open the door to the "Heart Of All Worlds". She first appeared in "Sleeping Beauty" in 1959. VA: Susanne Blakeslee

Oogie Boogie
One of Maleficents cohorts in Kingdom Hearts and the antagonist Jack the Pumpkin King. He first appeared in "The Nightmare Before Christmas" in 1993. VA: Ken Page

Jafar
The royal vizier of Agrabah. He is helping Maleficent as he believes helping her will allow him to take over Agrabah. He first appeared in "Aladdin" in 1992. VA: Jonathan Freeman

Hades
The hot-headed antagonist of Hercules. Hades isn't really interested in Maleficent's goals, but he joined up with her because he saw Team Sora as a mutual enemy. He first appeared in "Hercules" in 1997. VA: James Woods

Ursula
The sea witch with nothing better do than cause trouble for King Triton. She joined up with Maleficent so that she could exploit the powers of Darkness to help her steal King Triton's mystical trident and take over all of the seas. She first appeared in "The Little Mermaid" in 1989. VA: Pat Carroll

Captain James T. Hook
The antagonist of Peter Pan and just a general pain in the butt. His goals simply revolve around using the Heartless to destroy Peter Pan. He first appeared in "Peter Pan" in 1953. VA: Corey Burton

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

So I had a great time recording episodes 15 and 16 with Rodyle today. I am hoping I can get someone else from the thread to join us for episodes 17 and 18.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

Awesome. I'd definitely be interested in it then. Gotta work out when I'd be available though.

Hey why don't you post your Skype name on here and I will get in touch with you.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

jayman52 posted:

Hey why don't you post your Skype name on here and I will get in touch with you.

silegna-kun. Yeah, I know, not very original.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I love this game and I'd love to guest sometime! Skype is Ag_Falcon84

I am sad sometimes that I only own Nintendo consoles now, so the only Kingdom Hearts game I have access to is KH3D (which I haven't finished yet). I'm glad you'll be LPing all of them, so I get to see the ones I can't play!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I love this game and I'd love to guest sometime! Skype is Ag_Falcon84

I am sad sometimes that I only own Nintendo consoles now, so the only Kingdom Hearts game I have access to is KH3D (which I haven't finished yet). I'm glad you'll be LPing all of them, so I get to see the ones I can't play!

Oh hey, Falcon! I'm kinda sad I only read you FF4DS LP on the archive, as I didn't have an account at the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I enjoyed Days, even though it was the second-worst game (because I didn't mind the panel system and the bosses didn't have many gimmicks, I have however stopped playing Coded right at the end due to a certain final sidescrolling boss being a complete bell-end).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

jayman52 posted:

Chain of Memories isn't even where the game gets it's most convoluted since it's the only game that is a direct sequel to a game that came before it.

It's only starting with 2 and onward where it gets ridiculous.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Skype is xanderk2. I can get available most anytime. My schedule is settling down and looking lighter than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

New Update Time!!!!!

New Characters:

Sabor
A leopard that for some reason has an intense desire to kill Sora. He first appeared in Disney's Tarzan in 1999. VA: None (He is a jungle cat.)

Tarzan
He finds Sora as he crash lands in Deep Jungle and shows him around. He first appeared in Disney's Tarzan in 1999. VA: Tony Goldwyn

Terk
Tarzan's best friend that is also a gorilla. She first appeared in Disney's Tarzan in 1999. VA: None.

Jane Porter
A researcher studying the gorillas in Deep Jungle. She first appeared in Disney's Tarzan in 1999. VA: Naia Kelly

Clayton
The antagonist of just about everyone in Deep Jungle. He is just your average gorilla poacher. He first appeared in Disney's Tarzan in 1999. VA: Brian Blessed

Kerchak
Tarzan's surrogate father and leader of the gorilla tribe Tarzan belongs to. He first appeared Disney's Tarzan in 1999. VA: None

Kala
Tarzan's surrogate mother and Kerchak's mate. She first appeared in Disney's Tarzan in 1999. VA: None

New Episodes:
Episode 007 – "Kingdom Hearts Part 007: World Hopping to Deep Jungle"
Episode 008 – "Kingdom Hearts Part 008: Exploring the Jungle"

• Locked thread