Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The UI is actually far worse than the original, even worse and slower to navigate than it was on the NES in my opinion. Arguably the best feature of Shadowgate, the wonderfully creepy and unique music, has been replaced by an orchestrated version that is not only way too quiet and subtle but has that painfully generic "epic" sound that all fantasy has lately. The new areas just seem to clutter the game up and make it longer than necessary, while completely destroying the flow of the game in the process, and some of the new additions gently caress the loving banshee curse are just terrible. The graphics are beautiful but actually make the game harder to play because it's much harder to spot items and areas you can interact with.

I guess it sounds like I'm pretty unhappy and I am disappointed in it mostly, but then again it's a new adventure game that doesn't follow the modern standard of "press forward to win!!" like The Walking Dead and so on, so I don't really regret buying it.

Protip: play the easiest mode. I started on Master because it said it was closest to the classic, and it was far too brutal. Switched to Journeyman but I really wish I'd just gone right to Acolyte. I don't feel like having more obtuse versions of puzzles really adds anything at all. And switch on the retro music, cause the new poo poo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I had nightmares for years about being chased by the grim reaper after playing Shadowgate as a 7 year old. I replayed it when I was maybe 10 or 11 and I had to get up and run to reset the system every time I did something wrong, before his stupid face popped up and haunted my nightmares again.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Sup trauma buddy :hfive:

This game used to scare the poo poo out of me too, I got it for one of my birthdays, maybe like 8th or 9th. I never got that far in this or Deja Vu, poo poo was just too obscure for a coward like me to figure out.

I woke up one morning after we'd had the game for a while to find that my dad had beaten it the night before and wrote every single step down in a notebook, so that's how I finished it. It didn't occur to me at the time that my dad wasn't anywhere near clever enough to have done this, and later I found out that he had called the Nintendo hotline and had them walk him through literally every step of the game.

Brackhar posted:

I'm having a decent time with the game, though I'm finding a lot of the puzzles a bit non-obvious. Most of it just derives from the interface, really. As an example, last night I had to completely restart the game due to not knowing that I could *go* to the well, as opposed to simply using it, so I didn't have a key item I needed to avoid a screendeath later. Additionally, the presence of items and such that you only need on higher difficulties but are red herrings on lower is also frustrating.

Yeah, that's another big issue. There are so many things in the environment that are clearly important and probably part of a puzzle, but I don't know whether I should be trying to figure out something about them or not because I'm not on Master mode.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Brackhar posted:

Having not played the originally, I actually thought this was a hold-over. A similar mechanic was in Uninvited, after all.

The death in Uninvited was just a straight-up time limit though with no trigger or cure, and when you finally ran out of time you could just reload and keep going. The Banshee death seems to be a hard time limit.

• Locked thread