Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Tony Beets is pretty cool joking around with his dudes.

Edit - How many drugs did Harness die of?

Someone find his posts in TCC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Just watching these idiots rig slings is giving me nightmares.

Edit: One other thing, unlike the Yukon show, ever notice how we rarely see the gold actually melted, so theoretically they could be using the same gold over and over again for the clean-out shoots...

Why do I watch this show?

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 6, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What I like about Tony Beets is he remains level headed when many others would be screaming and yelling to cover the fact they have no idea what to do.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

What I like about Tony Beets is he remains level headed when many others would be screaming and yelling to cover the fact they have no idea what to do.

Beets is the best part of the show right now, I just wish I could see the dredge in operation soon.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

wormil posted:

I think the reason we always saw Beets as a grumpy gently caress was because he was only on the aftershow and he had just watched whole episodes of Todd Hoffman pretending to be a miner.

I personally don't think they're reusing gold for Parker's mine, besides the staged crash it seems to me that most of his stuff is legit.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So, wait a second, Parker is just now checking his tailings to see if he's losing any gold and finds that 1/4 of it is just shooting into the rock pile? Why wouldn't you test that poo poo earlier to see if you have your plant set up right?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

SpannerX posted:

So, wait a second, Parker is just now checking his tailings to see if he's losing any gold and finds that 1/4 of it is just shooting into the rock pile? Why wouldn't you test that poo poo earlier to see if you have your plant set up right?

It's not something you can just do once and forget. Someone (him) should be checking and tweaking the plant regularly, a sizable mine would have someone specifically for that purpose.

He's probably a little more competent than the show lets on, and they just caught him on a bad day. Or he's been pissing away money, a trend not uncommon on Gold Rush.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I seem to recall in early seasons Freddy Dodge talking about how your sluice box needed to be at exact angles and everything, so it's usually a pretty specific science that needs constant refinement as the machine shakes and wears. I'd love to keep crying "artificial drama", but who knows at this point. It could have just been a massive oversight.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I seem to recall in early seasons Freddy Dodge talking about how your sluice box needed to be at exact angles and everything, so it's usually a pretty specific science that needs constant refinement as the machine shakes and wears.

That's exactly it. You're dropping a few dozen tons of rock into these things with every load, and that can gently caress things up. Then your material type can change, maybe you've been running gravel for a while and now you've got a lot of clay in your ore, that'll gently caress things up. Then you have to look at the water they're using to run everything. If it's dirty it can gunk up your hoses and pipes, reducing flow across your sluice as the day goes on and causing poo poo you don't want to stick in your riffles.

There is no perfect solution for these things. You tweak it, check how much you're throwing away, tweak it again and so on until you get it right, and then you still have to check it regularly.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Sammus posted:

That's exactly it. You're dropping a few dozen tons of rock into these things with every load, and that can gently caress things up. Then your material type can change, maybe you've been running gravel for a while and now you've got a lot of clay in your ore, that'll gently caress things up. Then you have to look at the water they're using to run everything. If it's dirty it can gunk up your hoses and pipes, reducing flow across your sluice as the day goes on and causing poo poo you don't want to stick in your riffles.

There is no perfect solution for these things. You tweak it, check how much you're throwing away, tweak it again and so on until you get it right, and then you still have to check it regularly.

Plus they just dragged it across their claim, you would think that they'd pay extra attention to make sure everything is working correctly. And who knows, maybe that's what he was doing when he noticed it wasn't cleaning well.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
There's also a chance, albeit small, that some of this stuff was filmed out of order to better fit whatever narrative they wanted to push. Hence how Parker's hair and mustache seems to change more often than it should.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The entire show basically takes place out of time because the incredibly vague narration is the only source of information, the dialogue is cut up and pasted as patchwork, and scenes are simply melded together in the editing bay when they aren't explicitly progressive (like Tony deconstructing his giant hunk of junk). Hell, the only time we've seen the producers ever be forced to reveal a date of filming was in the previous episode when they played james harness' death for drama, which ballparks that footage around June 2014.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

a whole episode about Parker's Grandpa? Yes please, the man has probably forgot more about mining than every crew on the show.

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004
Well according to Discovery, Grandpa John didn't start gold mining until he was 68, and they've said on the show before that he saw his mine as more of a hobby. And with him saying parker's 1000 ounce haul last season was more gold than he's probably ever pulled out of the ground, grandpa doesn't look like the expert miner Discovery painted him as for the last few seasons. That makes me a little sad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Photex posted:

a whole episode about Parker's Grandpa? Yes please, the man has probably forgot more about mining than every crew on the show.

They'll be dedicating an episode to him soon enough.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
4$ a yard for Hoffmans, ouch. I'm looking forward to next week and Parker going shopping for land.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Isn't that culvert they just built for the one way road the one they tore up a few weeks ago due to lack of water flow?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I liked how the land owner is chewing out the Hoffman crew for mining lovely land.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I was half paying attention so I didn't realize he was the claim owner at first, so I thought the Hoffmans just hired a consultant to come in and tell them not to mine lovely land. That would have been so much funnier.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Philthy posted:

I liked how the land owner is chewing out the Hoffman crew for mining lovely land.

Landowner/geologist: mine this, it's better.
Dave: ok
Rest of crew: Why are we stopping!?? Let's keep doing 4 bucks a yard, at least we're sluicing!

What a bunch of idiots, no way they're all that stupid.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'd like to think this land owner has been screwing people season after season mining his poo poo land.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

I'm puzzled how they were mining before in the Yukon not hitting bedrock. Last season Parker took a pan full of the white quartz to Beets and was given the same info.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Todd started the season with a map of 400 dozen test holes and was pulling so much gold they needed a bigger plant. Now suddenly they are at $4 yard and clueless what to do. The story writers need to get their poo poo together.

Edit, and they address that right after the commercial. This landowner waits half a season to explain the geology.

wormil fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 11, 2015

Barefoot
Dec 22, 2013

Photex posted:

i'd like to think this land owner has been screwing people season after season mining his poo poo land.

I'm starting to agree with this. I think he bargained up front 100 oz of gold regardless of what they found (or didn't).

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Barefoot posted:

I'm starting to agree with this. I think he bargained up front 100 oz of gold regardless of what they found (or didn't).

I thought it was 500 ounces?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Barefoot posted:

I think it more that the land owner just wants everyone to push away all the top soil and then come in and get that white clay/sand.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lmao this GR production company has the worst segment editors I've ever seen. Spend 2/3 the next episode preview about how "TEAM HOFFMAN IS IN DIRE STRAITS" and then in the next sentence say they receive "THE BIGGEST CLEANUP EVER". Well done

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 13, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

wargames posted:

I think it more that the land owner just wants everyone to push away all the top soil and then come in and get that white clay/sand.

Oh dang that makes a ton of sense. That actually explains why the land was available at all... the last crew (or, the owner himself) knew they were at the end of other $10/yd ground... :tinfoil:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I think the question is will parker stay on with tony for another year or spend way too much money on some land.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

wargames posted:

I think the question is will parker stay on with tony for another year or spend way too much money on some land.

The more I see Tony the more I like him and hope he stays on for another season, also show more of his wife because it's pretty clear who wears the pants in that family.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
drat Tony! Should have been more careful taking that dredge apart! Looks like Todd is going to have a profitable season, which means we won't be able to get rid of him after all.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Parker hit permafrost but still manages to rip on Todd. "What are we going to do about it? Light it all on loving fire? I don't think so."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Parker has been annoying, even though I seem to like his team the best overall. "Tony basically gets 20% for doing nothing." - Well, other than he paid money for the land you're digging up. Parker will be buying his own land next season, I think. That'll be interesting.

I also sort of want them to start over with new guys. I want to see them all with one bucket loader and a tiny rear end plot of land and do it all over again. The bigger mines are cool, but it's not as compelling.

I think that might be why I like the Bearing Sea Gold and Under the Ice show more overall, they're all tiny teams, and the bigger ones seem to not offer anything else two people can't do themselves.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
There's a new season of Yukon Gold starting on feb 25th if you like that show. I think it's mostly better in the mining aspect than Gold Rush, but the characters are a bit more toned down.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Philthy posted:

Parker has been annoying, even though I seem to like his team the best overall. "Tony basically gets 20% for doing nothing." - Well, other than he paid money for the land you're digging up. Parker will be buying his own land next season, I think. That'll be interesting.

I also sort of want them to start over with new guys. I want to see them all with one bucket loader and a tiny rear end plot of land and do it all over again. The bigger mines are cool, but it's not as compelling.

I think that might be why I like the Bearing Sea Gold and Under the Ice show more overall, they're all tiny teams, and the bigger ones seem to not offer anything else two people can't do themselves.

I remember when Fred got like 18 ounces of gold in his first week of mining at Porcupine and he was grinning about it. The scale is all blown out now.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Philthy posted:

Agreed, Parker has just come across as whiny this season.

I really enjoyed watching Dustin's little adventure in the hills with the tiny excavator and sluce last season. Once you have 20+ guys working a claim it's just another big open pit mining operation.

Is Bering Sea Gold coming back? Saw somewhere that they finished filming the summer season a while ago. Disco just sitting on it for when gold rush is over? Or they decide it wasn't worth the air time to show it?

Fejsze fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 8, 2015

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Now that you mention it, the 4th season should be airing right about now.

code:

Season                  Viewers     Aired                   Ended

1	8	2	3.04	January 27, 2012	March 16, 2012
2	12	2	2.20	January 4, 2013		March 29, 2013
3	11	0	2.36	January 3, 2014		March 14, 2014

Those are a good amount of viewers, so I wouldn't imagine they'd just stop.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zteuer posted:

There's a new season of Yukon Gold starting on feb 25th if you like that show. I think it's mostly better in the mining aspect than Gold Rush, but the characters are a bit more toned down.

This is good news. I like that show better, they seem to be able to pull more gold out with crappier gear too, which I find interesting.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Bering Sea Gold is back on March 13th.
http://www.thewrap.com/discovery-sets-bering-sea-gold-season-4-return-exclusive/

A bunch of poo poo went down with Vern's crew, which probably delayed things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Looks like I found the Hoffman's next gold mining project.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/sewage-sludge-contains-millions-of-dollars-worth-of-gold-other-metals-1.2948080

• Locked thread