Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

My Pc hasn't been upgraded since the Bush Administration and it runs EL fine.

Which Bush Administration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There is documentation, the manual is listed on the Steam store page and they just updated it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Lorini posted:

There is documentation, the manual is listed on the Steam store page and they just updated it.

Pfft, who reads those?

That's super helpful actually, thanks.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Can someone explain to me what the Broken Lords 'Dust Crematorium' tech they get from the main quest line does? It reads "+1 XP Converted into [dust] on empire" but I have no idea what that means.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Robzilla posted:

Which Bush Administration?

it's running beautifully on my 486DX/75

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gough Suppressant posted:

Can someone explain to me what the Broken Lords 'Dust Crematorium' tech they get from the main quest line does? It reads "+1 XP Converted into [dust] on empire" but I have no idea what that means.

I think what it does is that if one of your units dies within your territory, its xp is converted to dust. No idea if this takes into account levels, though.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I learned about this game while looking for Beyond Earh and apart from its (maybe solvable, maybe not) AI mess it seems that the art, production values and the remaining 3x mechanisms are comparable if not superior to its big brother. 30€ it's not really that much for such a polished game.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Christmas Present posted:

:golfclap: Touche :golfclap:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Christmas Present posted:

:golfclap: Bravo sir, bravo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has there been a recent patch that made it so Broken Lords always starts out in Tundra now?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Has there been a recent patch that made it so Broken Lords always starts out in Tundra now?

I was trying to start out a Roving Clans game and I poo poo you god drat not, I only had two non-tundra starts out of a dozen retries. One of those was me forcing the game to be "desert".

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Since the last patch I seem to be starting on tundra a lot.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Has there been any announcements re: modding support from the devs?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Autonomous Monster posted:

More seriously, is the world supposed to be trapped in perpetual winter for the last hundred turns or so? Because this poo poo is obnoxious.

Yea. The idea is that the world is destabilizing, with summers becoming shorter and winters longer as the game goes on. Winters also get harsher, as all those negative effects keep stacking on. The "gently caress winter" hero abilities are really good.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Has there been any announcements re: modding support from the devs?

It's in the works, but no word yet as to an official release date on it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Adam Smith gives the game a good account on Rock Paper Shotgun. He mentions the disconnect of scale during battles, but that's the least of my issues with game so what the hey.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The Deleter posted:

Adam Smith gives the game a good account on Rock Paper Shotgun. He mentions the disconnect of scale during battles, but that's the least of my issues with game so what the hey.

I have a hard time taking that guy seriously after reading his Distant Worlds article in the form of an interview with Admiral Adama. We're talking fanfiction levels of cringe.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

So what's a strong opening/approach on the higher difficulties (impossible/endless)? I can't figure out a way to get going fast enough to deal with the advantages the AI gets alongside their huge starting armies, but Serious isn't that hard for me to deal with. I feel like I'm stuck between easy and impossible and it's killing me.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

When your units earn XP in combat they also earn dust. You'll notice the combat report now indicates how much dust you made.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I really like the Broken Lords, but their Quest is annoying to complete. Half of the time I get stuck on trying to find the one city that it orders me to conquer.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Xae posted:

I really like the Broken Lords, but their Quest is annoying to complete.

Roving Clan's quest has you acquiring/removing a foreign city which is annoying just to find and then you realize you can't aggressively declare war because of your faction choice.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Ulvirich posted:

Roving Clan's quest has you acquiring/removing a foreign city which is annoying just to find and then you realize you can't aggressively declare war because of your faction choice.

Vaulters had this too - I got the capital city of the most powerful AI, so I figured I was never completing the faction quest and got quite irritated (then I discovered the AI is terrible at combat and wiped everything with a 5 unit stack but I couldn't take the capital without winning the game, so I still couldn't complete the faction quest :argh:)

Edit: Also, I love that the variety in racial differences is a huge selling point but apparently they all get the same "conquer a foreign city" quest somewhere in their plotline - even the ones who can't declare war.

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 2, 2014

Tsarbomb
Oct 14, 2008

Take us out of the system, but not too quickly. The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one.
I have fallen in love with this game. As the games I play unfold, part of me just wants to jump into the world and explore it as if it were some RPG game.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Does the multiplayer still have issues? Was looking at this since a friend picked it up but sounds like there's some problems with syncing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Tsarbomb posted:

I have fallen in love with this game. As the games I play unfold, part of me just wants to jump into the world and explore it as if it were some RPG game.

The Soundtrack is also amazing.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

Buy 500hp Vinesnakes with your massive spondulix, enable privateer mode, steamroll city. The AI is gowdawful at combat and cities are piss-easy to take. If you can't afford mercs then build a bunch of Dervishes because they count for Privateers too? Which is pretty funny. You'd think that they'd see the dudes on horseback and put two and two together.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Just started playing this game - it has a sweet atmosphere.

When hovering over a unit in production is there a way to freeze the unit description? I want to know what the unit capabilities do etc.

VVV Thanks. What about item abilities?

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 2, 2014

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

If you click the fist icon in the military screen, you can go to the unit builder and see what the different buffs do. (ie, infantry slayer, ardent fire, etc) If you click on the ribbon icon, you can see the same for your hero list if you inspect them. The hero market also has a inspect button, which is a magnifying glass.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
God I hope the modding is good in this, preferably using steam workshop and allowing multiple mods at a time.

There's so many things I want to play around with, especially the seasons and the quests.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Been messing with Endless Legend this weekend. It's a blast - there are some issues, but the game feels really fresh for 4X game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The game should have been delayed another month; the balance is really bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

The game should have been delayed another month; the balance is really bad.

I was going to say that putting it out to the public is the best way to test balance, but really it was already in early access.

The release state reminds me of Age of Wonders 3 and Triumph has done a great job fixing that game. Hopefully, EL gets the support it needs to really shine.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the balance and AI are both major issues in this game at the moment. It's a really good game at the core I feel, but playing against the AI is an excercise in frustration because it's incredibly dumb, but the advantages it gets on higher difficulties makes it possible for them to just bang their head against you until you fall over.
When I was playing earlier today, I had two AIs from halfway across the map declare war on me for no reason. They sent their mediocre armies over one by one, so I just slaughtered them all as they came to me until they gave up.

Also Ardent Mages feel really really weak, and the not-wood elves feel really strong.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 4, 2014

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ulvirich posted:

Roving Clans get the privateer technology in era 2, 2 or 3 eras ahead of when everyone else gets access to it. It allows you to take armies composed of mercenaries and toggle a privateer mode, which makes them appear neutral and let's them attack players at will (no need to declare war.) Combined with the fact that privateers instantly destroy cities and roving clans get double mercenary health, it's kinda broken.

Broken Cog posted:

Also Ardent Mages feel really really weak, and the not-wood elves feel really strong.

I like to play 8 player games with 1 of every faction, same as I did in Endless Space. 95% of my games have the Wild Walkers being the huge run-away AI who owns like 50% of the world. Oddly enough the Ardent Mages usually do similiarly well, although on paper they seem a lot weaker.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Just got a wonder victory with Vaulters. I have to say that capping off the faction questline by building the Ancient Spaceship and shooting off into the universe is incredibly satisfying. This is probably the only Civ-like that I've ever had the desire to see all the way to the end.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
gently caress the elves. They get a bunch of production bonuses which means they run away with the game most of the time because the AI knows how to handle the bonuses better than the weirder poo poo of the Clans or Cultists. My island Roving Clans game stalled out because those fuckers own 50% of the world and shot ahead in tech by lightyears. It's frustrating as hell.

I feel Ardent Mages have some bonkers military units but their spells don't scale terribly well. They have insane damage output regardless so it's not such a big deal. The Atashi Zealot is incredible.

My main issue with balance isn't so much the ranged deathball and more the fact that some units don't do anything interesting. The Vaulter Titan, the elf treant, the Cultist cavalry and archer - they could probably be replaced by minor faction units and they'd do the exact same job. Also that there's no zones of control. Also that the Drakken have poo poo units for no reason, as opposed to the Clans who have poo poo units because hiring dudes is their way to go.

Really, despite my love for this game, I have quite a few problems with it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Yeah, each faction only gets three units right? There's no reason for every single one of them not to be interesting and unique.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Capntastic posted:

Yeah, each faction only gets three units right? There's no reason for every single one of them not to be interesting and unique.

But you can customize them with a dozen different armors/weapons that boil down to high attack or high defense and dozens of artifacts none of which are as important as the titanium more damage one and the generic more movement one, they really need to balance out the rest to make them more appealing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Deleter posted:

gently caress the elves. They get a bunch of production bonuses which means they run away with the game most of the time because the AI knows how to handle the bonuses better than the weirder poo poo of the Clans or Cultists. My island Roving Clans game stalled out because those fuckers own 50% of the world and shot ahead in tech by lightyears. It's frustrating as hell.

The Vaulter Titan, the elf treant, the Cultist cavalry and archer - they could probably be replaced by minor faction units and they'd do the exact same job. Also that there's no zones of control. Also that the Drakken have poo poo units for no reason, as opposed to the Clans who have poo poo units because hiring dudes is their way to go.

I think part of what's going on is that the AIs all seem to research the same technologies (basically left + right, ignoring up+down), which includes a ton of production bonuses which helps the WW a lot. The AI just seems to have no idea how to play Broken Lords or Cultists.

Most of my games the Clans go runaway as well, but they wind up like Silicoids in old MOO: massive empire, fragile and lovely.

Lack of ZoC is annoying - it feels like the Elves, for example, are supposed to use something like 2 ents, 2 archers, 2 shaman, but 2 ents is basically as good as 0 if you're trying to use them as blockers. In principle a large number of units could be replaced by minor units - and oddly i think the only decent cavalry is Minotaurs since they can charge during winter. I'm not sure i agree about Drakken having poo poo units - Fast Learner is pretty awesome in war heavy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mokinokaro posted:

The release state reminds me of Age of Wonders 3 and Triumph has done a great job fixing that game. Hopefully, EL gets the support it needs to really shine.
Can you comment more on this? I played AoW3 at launch and found the enemy AI to be TERRIBLE at empire building even on the hardest difficulty, so I just rolled combat through sheer numbers and superior units. I saw a few patches where all they seemed to do was constantly balance the units? Not sure how much that could help out a game where the AI was so bad at empire. [e] Wow it even got an expansion since I last played? Maybe the empire AI is better now, hum.

The reports of bad AI is mostly what keeps me away from EL in the mean time. ES had a hard time with this too, I am not sure they'll even fix it.

[e]Oh there's an entire AoW3 thread that I somehow missed, don't mind me.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 5, 2014

• Locked thread