Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

How accurate is portlandia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

There is a gang? Coven? Of quasi homeless people in their 50's who have an impromptu 1970's disco roller rink in a wide spot on the sidewalk in the park in sf in an area I pass by regularly that is a front for some kind of illicit drug and or sex orgy in the bushes that I suspect has been happening since the actual 1970's

Like half the time its a silly family event with kids and someone brings a boombox and they dance and it's fine; other times it's all creepily well preserved older people including one lady with shoulder length white hair who looks like a spooky sex witch and there is always someone playing "lookout" for the weird spot in the bushes where god knows what is happening

Sometimes she looks at me with Hungry predatory eyes

naem
May 29, 2011

Mido posted:

Lol if you think portland homeless are aggressive, if you aren't used to dealing with homeless people then they might seem like it

SF homeless though, sometimes I wonder if I'm about to get in a fight with the way one might just walk across the street staring at you

I nearly have before

naem
May 29, 2011

Portland looked like a standard medium sized city to me, what is it that's brought out the hipsters en mass

naem
May 29, 2011

David Copperfield posted:

serious: what % of super-mentally ill hobos end up on liberal West Coast cities because buses from other states literally dump them there

This was def a thing for years. I worked across the street from the former sf bus depot that was just torn down and there were people who'd slept there for 35 years after being shipped here.

MULTIPLE flaming shopping carts rolled down the street past that building daily

naem
May 29, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

i went back to portland after three years away and its full of tech dipshits now and they replaced the little mom & pop breakfast joint i liked with a place that brags about its artisanal fatback

I think this is what's happening- people are bringing their money to Portland from elsewhere because it costs too much in CA.

If you made a million bucks when twitter had its ipo that would be like a down payment in a lovely house in CA. In Portland you can buy a nice house for a third if that and have the rest invested towards retirement, and then just gently caress around on bikes and dress your nerdy girlfriend up in punk rock clothes.

But you're not just some normal guy with a house NO you're ARTISANAL. You're really a secret cool Californian you're just living here IRONICALLY

The fact that your house looks exactly like the house your parents owned in Cleveland that you vowed to escape from NO IT'S IRONIC SEE

BACON

ARTISANAL IRONY

NAKED BICYCLE

PUT A BIRD ON IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

David Copperfield posted:

I'm all against exploitation of the homeless and gawking at them intentionally but I definitely would go out of my way to see this

The ground Floor was all glass with cubicals right up against it and everyone got really used to hobos peeing, pooping and masturbating right up against the glass like it was nothing

• Locked thread