Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xtanstic posted:

Yeesh is this mainly inflation or lack of Mr. A influx? I remember the good old days of 5 mil Mr. As and when they started inflating to 7-8 mil it was drat expensive.
Both. There are fewer active players and the ones that are left are increasingly veterans who are already own a full slate of IOTMs and declining returns have set in on new items (how many familiars do you need? how many tomes?), so fewer Mr. A's are being purchased. Fewer stones, and it's harder to get blood from them, essentially.

Also, inflation. There's been power creep in +Item and +Meat (and +Turn), so a day's farming turns up more money than it used to.

It may just be that KoL is heading into the sunset part of its existence. 11 years is a pretty drat good run for an MMO (ridiculous, not even funny, etc.), but eventually people do get tired and move on to other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Vexrm posted:

What's the best way to contact Sputnik if I don't have messaging on SA?

I know the answer is spend the $10 on messaging on SA instead of Mr A for the Kingdom, but is there another way?
He's "sputbot" in game, I believe. His name is all over the clan administration pages. Send him a K-mail.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'd just like to point out that ten years and counting is a pretty good run for a free-to-play web game that managed to keep a company afloat and pay salaries to a bunch of people, especially considering it was a glorified MUD with stick figure art. Everything fades away eventually (how far down is WoW from its peak?); KoL has had a good, long run and everyone involved should be proud of that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sfwarlock posted:

For the absurd joy of gaining millions of stat points. For hamsterhodgekilling. For being very highly leveled when world events come around or just because you've permed every skill you want.

Because it is there.
Also, basement-diving.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
West of Loathing just got a nice writeup in, of all places, the AV Club: http://www.avclub.com/live/stick-figure-western-one-funniest-games-ages-259554

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nebrilos posted:

A bunch of the devs got outed as sexpests, so I kind of soured on it
:same: