Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

pentyne posted:

Can we get a thread title change to include Tuca and Bertie? Unless that show gets its own thread which I don't think it did before.

It should really have its own thread. It’s not really that connected to BoJack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yayyy, but also, aw dang, animation downgrade confirmed.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yikes...well, good luck Tuca and Bertie fans because that looks terrible.

Adult Swim promos are very often different art styles than the shows they advertise.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yikes...well, good luck Tuca and Bertie fans because that looks terrible.

PostNouveau posted:

Adult Swim promos are very often different art styles than the shows they advertise.

They also sometimes do entire episodes in different art styles ala Rick and Morty Bushworld Adventures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yg4ImnYwA

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So to promote their new show they decided to animate it poorly, on purpose, before it's even premiered? I mean, I'm not a television producer so I may not "get" promotional marketing, but that seems.....stupid. And unlikely.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So you guys' theory is that within like three days of the announcement that the show has been picked up by Adult Swim, Hanawalt has spun up the new production staff, studio, and all the animation assets, and produced a 30-second promo using the same pipeline and resources that the show will have in several months when they're finally signing off on completed episodes? And that it wasn't just something she threw together in Flash herself that weekend to celebrate on Twitter?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

So you guys' theory is that within like three days of the announcement that the show has been picked up by Adult Swim, Hanawalt has spun up the new production staff, studio, and all the animation assets, and produced a 30-second promo using the same pipeline and resources that the show will have in several months when they're finally signing off on completed episodes? And that it wasn't just something she threw together in Flash herself that weekend to celebrate on Twitter?

No I just agree that it might be jarring for Netflix audience if they aren't really in touch with ADULT SWIM and the way they handle their different animation studios. Netflix is so uniform and stylized so intentionally, and that trailer is distinct enough from it that it kinda distracted me from the actual trailer. i literally restarted the trailer because for a second I had assumed there was a framerate issue causes it to look so choppy.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I don't care if the animation looks bad. I love Tuca and Bertie for its writing and characters and overall charm, not because of how it looks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

So to promote their new show they decided to animate it poorly, on purpose, before it's even premiered? I mean, I'm not a television producer so I may not "get" promotional marketing, but that seems.....stupid. And unlikely.

Adult Swim is often intentionally lo-fi, and speed is more important if you're ramping up production and you want to break the news yourself before it leaks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even without a surprise announcement or a pandemic, sometimes people just like to make loose, sketchy animations. Have none of you seen a YouTube animatic?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Um. “Adult Swim” isn’t a studio with a style. It’s a distribution network with a portfolio of a hundred different shows from different production companies. Yes they are famous for 12 Oz Mouse and ATHF, but they also do Final Space and Venture Bros, which are as lavish as it gets.

Same goes for Netflix

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Master Twig posted:

I don't care if the animation looks bad. I love Tuca and Bertie for its writing and characters and overall charm, not because of how it looks.

Agreed with this. "Two kinds of oven fries" still lands perfectly even if you can't see him holding up the bags.

(But it's just a promo piece and I still like it.)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

you don't need to do good animation on an announcement trailer. often for something like this you'd just take clips from episodes already under production and string them together, but if those clips don't exist yet then why spend a bunch of time/money on a quick vid that only needs to get passed around to let people know a new season is coming?

also this isn't a new show, it's a renewal, so people already know what the show looks like and just the shock of "holy poo poo! new season!" for a show revival is good enough to carry hasty animation

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I guess that makes sense. Sort of. I've always been a believer in "make the promotional material as good as possible" since that would have the potential to attract the most new viewers, but I guess just throwing it out there is good enough if the product already exists.

Have my doubts though. I think that's exactly what it's going to look like.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also this is just an announcement, not a promo trailer or anything. this is the kind of thing that really just warrants a press release, an animatic on top is a bonus

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
one of the season 1 directors animated it on his own, and if you look at his stuff, that's just his style. unsure if the whole season would try and capture that look though

https://twitter.com/aalong64/status/1266417508870832128?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's likely that animation production proper has not even begun on the second season yet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

It's likely that animation production proper has not even begun on the second season yet.

They probably haven't even started writing yet

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
stop freaking about about the stupid announcement cartoon. it's basically like when any artist for a show draws some celebratory picture due to good news except they were able to make a short animation and voice it because society has loving collapsed and they didn't have anything else better to do

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Odd Mutant posted:

stop freaking about about the stupid announcement cartoon. it's basically like when any artist for a show draws some celebratory picture due to good news except they were able to make a short animation and voice it because society has loving collapsed and they didn't have anything else better to do

Well it didn't match my standards of quality goddamnit, and i expect better in pre-apocalypse times

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

You know what I want more of when Tuca and Bertie comes back? More songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFC8Hkx30

Let Tiffany Haddish sing, The Lego Movie 2 proved she's got the pipes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqvRoMQ2Z8

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

i expect better in pre-apocalypse times

have you seen irl lately

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
RBW responds to criticisms of whitewashing

Alison Brie regrets voicing Vietnamese character

Kinda sad that the first time I think about Bojack in a month is this, but at least they seem to own it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Raphael Bob Waksberg has spoken multiple times about regretting casting in a "raceblind" way because it just led to him hiring a bunch of white people, and the show pretty conspicuously had a lot of actors of color in the later half as a way to sort of "make up" for it. It's not like they could've just recast Diane in season 4 and expected people to go along. This isn't a saturday morning cartoon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess I would just be sad if Brie distances herself from the show, since her character was important and fully realized. I hope she can still appreciate her time on the project and it’s not just like a big streak on her record.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Didn't this come up a year or two ago, too?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess I would just be sad if Brie distances herself from the show, since her character was important and fully realized. I hope she can still appreciate her time on the project and it’s not just like a big streak on her record.

I think it's just her being supportive of the current moment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

She just suddenly realized that it was bad?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

she has mentioned it before (I think maybe in an article about auditioning for GLOW?) but it's timely to say again now because time is a flat circle, etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Streaming services are pulling episodes of any comedy show that has had a blackface episode from the last like 10 years and so it’s coming up a lot I guess. I know that they’ve pulled the blackface episode of workaholics and the blackface episode of community I don’t think anyone has even bother trying to pull the black face episodes of It’s Always Sunny because there are so many of them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I thought Netflix UK pulled the Naked Gun parody episode of IASIP?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Blackface episodes of shows from the last decade?

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Naked Gun parody

Lethal Weapon.

:colbert:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Daikloktos posted:

Blackface episodes of shows from the last decade?

In Always Sunny whenever it happens it's done in a way that clearly shows the characters are hosed up to be doing it, but I can't imagine they would do it any more.

The Community example is a slightly different one. It has Chang dressed up as a Dark Elf from D&D (included white hair and pointy ears, with black paint) and is called out in the episode as not being cool but isn't really blackface as it's understood. That said, I also don't think it would happen nowadays.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

What cake are they trying to eat exactly? “Mean people can be smart and capable sometimes?”

The assertion that Rick & Morty is some bizarre reality play attempting to moralize Rick through science seems like the same energy as post-Millenial readings of Fight Club being a manual for fascism. A character within a story behaving as themselves is not the same as the writer’s pushing an agenda.

It depends on the framing used by the show. Media can literally say one thing while using techniques to imply another. This video talks about how the series can show Rick doing horrible things, but still frame it as "good" or "correct" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8ICfWsUVw

It's even slightly on topic, because it compares to Bojack, showing how this series does a good job of framing negative behavior in a negative light.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Alhazred posted:

She just suddenly realized that it was bad?

Apparently :rolleyes:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
IASIP also did an episode like maybe 2 years ago where the gang is transported to an alternate reality where they are all black and Frank sings a song about how excited he is to finally say the “N” word.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

IASIP also did an episode like maybe 2 years ago where the gang is transported to an alternate reality where they are all black and Frank sings a song about how excited he is to finally say the “N” word.

I had somehow never come across that episode before thinking I had seen them all, so that coming on unexpectedly after a day watching streams of US protests was a freaky thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/michael_eisner/status/1307413989618585604?s=21

Bill Travers of IndieWire posted:

Perhaps it’s too soon to call “BoJack Horseman” the best animated TV series of all time. Perhaps five stellar seasons of 12 episodes each, arguably improving with each subsequent entry, aren’t enough of a sample to hold against series that either ran for decades or withheld scrutiny for just as long. Perhaps a serialized existential drama about a washed-up Hollywood horse looking to salvage his career along with his life shouldn’t be compared to kids’ shows and episodic satires. No matter. “BoJack Horseman” has accomplished more in five seasons than most TV series, animated or otherwise, do in twice that span, and it does so with the most economical storytelling every put to screen. From the five-second spans of dialogue that bridge heartbreak and hilarity, to the hidden jokes populating every square inch of the frame, to the inventive, eye-catching animation that builds worlds without a drop of exposition, “BoJack Horseman” is an incredible story to behold. That it makes us laugh and cry in unprecedented amounts is almost secondary to how much is being offered. We may never catch up with every astounding facet of this young series, which means it’s not too soon to list it at No. 1. If anything, we’re already late.

Personally I think the shout out from Michael fuckin’ Eisner is a bigger deal than winning a popularity contest on IndieWire.

Also this:

https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/1307476295719108610?s=21

:unsmith:

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 20, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Personally I think the shout out from Michael fuckin’ Eisner is a bigger deal than winning a popularity contest on IndieWire.

Well of course he shouted it out, The Tornante Company, the investment firm that funded the show, was founded by Eisner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jesus, Will Arnett didn't even get nominated for one. The only voice acting nomination the show ever had was Kristen Schaal, once.

The category is all over the place though. I don't even know what the gently caress.

Did you know there is a Crank Yankers being produced in 2020? Me either, but apparently Wanda Sykes was better in it than Will Arnett was in The View from Halfway Down