Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like you can preorder a 2019 BoJack Horseman calendar which features art seen in the series. And on that same subject, all the art in BoJack Horseman.

https://twitter.com/lisadraws/status/965674655653572608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hope they don't make a character I like a sexual predator.

Well Bojack already is one, just that he’s partially too stupid/weak to know how to draw the line and break from his Hollywood conditioning. He wants to be better, but nothing has made his character double down on his worser tendencies like a crisis does.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pick posted:

Do not write for this show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

If they were to do this or anything like this, or even use Bojack in a situation where he thought the women were just really into him because he's famous, then it undermines the #metoo movement by saying "aw shucks, it was all a big misunderstanding", and paints the accusers in a bad light. While that might be true for a small percentage of the incidents, for the most part it's all about exposing sleazy dudes who knew fully well what they were doing.

Yeah, that's one of the many reasons it wouldn't actually make for good tv.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Just revisit hiphopapotamus and have like 15 women accuse him at the same time

You bunch of weirdos

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

Honestly, I would like for the writers to make Bojack or MPB get embroiled in #MeToo, and the strongest argument against it ("They're too likeable!") is kinda why I want it to happen. Part of the problem is that abusers in their day to day life are likeable and seem like cool dudes.

Bojack has already made a lot of questionable sexual decisions and I really doubt that Mr. Peanutbutter understands all the nuances of consent.

this would make for terrible tv and would be pretty dang insensitive at the same time

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pick posted:

Yes let’s take a show that isn’t really about Hollywood, and date the poo poo out of it by coupling it with a real life hashtag.

Well of course it's not about Hollywood, it's about Hollywoo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

#hollytoo

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Have we talked about this?

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/tiffany-haddish-netflix-animated-series-tuca-and-bertie-bojack-horseman-1202705470/

Lisa Hanawalt’s new show, executive-produced by RBW. I’m not sure if it has any in-universe relation to BoJack Horseman.

Edit: should’ve checked Hanawalt’s twitter — the two shows do not share an universe.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 21, 2018

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's almost a certainty that Me Too will come up next season, even if they don't mention the hashtag specifically. Nowadays Bojack's behavior reads much differently from last year. It's tough to rewatch season 2 episode 11 or the episode in season 4 where he visits all of his partners. I think the show would be better off if they acknowledged what they've already portrayed on screen. The show hasn't shied away from portraying Bojack in a negative light before, and it's been pretty good about staying topical without feeling dated. It's not like Bojack even needs to be, like, punished for anything that he's done. He's not a criminal (at least, not a sex criminal). The resolution to all of his behavior is sincerely apologizing, accepting the consequences for your actions, and making a real effort to be different, which is the entire point of the show anyway.

Plus, they have a whole lot of setup already in place. There's the reporter from season 3 that Bojack spilled everything to and was silenced is still around, plus there are the high school students that Bojack got drunk and almost killed and Penny's pissed off mom. You really don't need to add a dark, seedy past to Mr. Peanutbutter's backstory.

Also, there's a weird divorce shaming thing going on this thread. A couple getting divorced doesn't necessarily mean that either one of them is a predator or toxic or whatever, it just means that they aren't compatible. Getting divorced multiple times might be a warning sign to a potential partner, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there's something wrong with the person who got divorced.

i am the bird posted:

Have we talked about this?

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/tiffany-haddish-netflix-animated-series-tuca-and-bertie-bojack-horseman-1202705470/

Lisa Hanawalt’s new show, executive-produced by RBW. I’m not sure if it has any in-universe relation to BoJack Horseman.

Edit: should’ve checked Hanawalt’s twitter — the two shows do not share an universe.

I'm really looking forward to this! Hanawalt's cartoons have a very different tone from Bojack Horseman and it's going to be great seeing it as a show.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 21, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hope they don't make a character I like a sexual predator.
I hope none of my guy friends are sexual predators.

-Every woman ever.

At this point, ignoring MeToo completely would be more jarring than addressing it somehow.

Billzasilver posted:

Just revisit hiphopapotamus and have like 15 women accuse him at the same time

You bunch of weirdos
This'd be fine.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

pospysyl posted:

I'm really looking forward to this! Hanawalt's cartoons have a very different tone from Bojack Horseman and it's going to be great seeing it as a show.

Me too. Let’s use this as a plug: go buy Lisa Hanawalt’s books. Her drawings are gorgeous and she has an amazingly weird sense of humor.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What about that clumsy frog? It wouldn't be a surprise that a complete fuckup that inherited a fortune would turn out to be a less than pleasurable fellow.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If F.R.I.E.N.D.S can ignore 9/11, Bojack Horseman can ignore #metoo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pick posted:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pick posted:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pick posted:

Friends, were it on the air today, shouldn't ignore MeToo either.

Again, we don't need to derail the whole loving show with it, but it's a huge part of Hollywoo, and should at least be mentioned once.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

LividLiquid posted:

Again, we don't need to derail the whole loving show with it, but it's a huge part of Hollywoo, and should at least be mentioned once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpPvGlrqhdA

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
imo they should do whatever it is they have been doing and just ignore people on the internet saying they should do something.

The show has gotten better and better, no need to gently caress it into the ground now. We know hollywood is hosed up, the show portrays the sexual misconduct and deviancy regularly enough to not have to take some stance over tokenism

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

do you not remember the Hank Hippopopalous bit from season 2? they've already done whole subplots on the issue before, why wouldn't they go back now that it's in the forefront of all real-life hollywood's minds

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LividLiquid posted:

Alright, how about this hot take: Bojack Horseman already adressed #MeToo, back in season 2.

pospysyl posted:

I think it's almost a certainty that Me Too will come up next season, even if they don't mention the hashtag specifically. Nowadays Bojack's behavior reads much differently from last year. It's tough to rewatch season 2 episode 11 or the episode in season 4 where he visits all of his partners. I think the show would be better off if they acknowledged what they've already portrayed on screen. The show hasn't shied away from portraying Bojack in a negative light before, and it's been pretty good about staying topical without feeling dated. It's not like Bojack even needs to be, like, punished for anything that he's done. He's not a criminal (at least, not a sex criminal). The resolution to all of his behavior is sincerely apologizing, accepting the consequences for your actions, and making a real effort to be different, which is the entire point of the show anyway.

A story about Hollywood and #MeToo where the perpetrator is ultimately sympathetic undermines the whole point of the #MeToo movement. In a different setting, or in a world where career rapist don't have legions of advocates calling women slut bitches for being coerced and/or drugged, maybe. But in Bojack Horseman, today, any #MeToo story needs to be about sex criminals.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember how Ross dated one of his students

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The executive producer turtle guy should be the one who turns out to be a creep, really. He's the most Weinstein like guy in the cast.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

:agreed: Bojack Horsemen ignoring #metoo would be stooping to the level of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. A Good Post.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually the smartest #metoo plotline would be someone going after Todd, because we know he DEFINITELY wouldn’t do that, and that actually provides some drama and tension. We’ve all seen the way Bojack and Mr. PB treat women, I could see Todd going on a date and like comically slipping on some spaghetti and accidentally grabbing Jessica Alba’s boob and apologizing and then all these other celebrities come out and misappropriate Todd’s buffoonery as sexism and then the lady-cab driver plotline rears back up...

I just think dragging the Ace into #metoo provides a dramatic tension we wouldn’t normally get, because we know Todd is not a sexual person and absolutely doesn’t mean to disrespect anyone.

But Pick makes a good point, the show could honestly just keep doing its own thing, Jill Pill taught me not to look for the low-hanging plotlines.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually the smartest #metoo plotline would be someone going after Todd, because we know he DEFINITELY wouldn’t do that, and that actually provides some drama and tension. We’ve all seen the way Bojack and Mr. PB treat women, I could see Todd going on a date and like comically slipping on some spaghetti and accidentally grabbing Jessica Alba’s boob and apologizing and then all these other celebrities come out and misappropriate Todd’s buffoonery as sexism and then the lady-cab driver plotline rears back up...

I just think dragging the Ace into #metoo provides a dramatic tension we wouldn’t normally get, because we know Todd is not a sexual person and absolutely doesn’t mean to disrespect anyone.

But Pick makes a good point, the show could honestly just keep doing its own thing, Jill Pill taught me not to look for the low-hanging plotlines.

You can't have a metoo storyline involving one of the main cast members without either risking discrediting the movement or making said cast member an irredeemable piece of poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

You can't have a metoo storyline involving one of the main cast members without either risking discrediting the movement or making said cast member an irredeemable piece of poo poo

I disagree, but also Bojack is an irredeemable piece of poo poo. What could Bojack do that would atone for pushing Sarah Lynn to OD or making sexual advances on a drunk, underage girl? Did you forgive him when he donated all his money to orphans? Did you forgive him when he went on ex-hook-up parade and hosed his mentally unstable stalker? Did you forgive him when he spent all day waiting in long lines for his niece? What has he done for anyone in the show that would ‘redeem’ him?

You can love Bojack (I do!), you can want him to change and and be happy when he looks like he is (yay, Go Bojack!), but in the last 4 years we’ve watched over his shoulder as he has made unquestionably morally bankrupt decisions and atonement and redemption have to be given, not taken, and nobody that Bojack has hurt has ever forgiven him... they’ve all died (!) or they are Penny.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

I do agree with this post. You can acknowledge a giant social movement that's extremely relevant to your setting and characters without trying to insert one of them directly into the middle of it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

LividLiquid posted:

Bring back Friends just so they can do a very special episode. Joey sexually harassed a load of his coworkers. Ross is definitely a rapist. Chandler is probably not a molester. He likes sharks.

I feel like we’ve talked about me too way too much in this thread now. Can we just wait for the episodes?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like that a major cast member and his axolotl maybe-girlfriend are fellow non-sex havers, I hope they have lots of fun adventures together.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm confident that different flavors of this conversation have probably dominated the Bojack Horseman writer's room for the last year and they are probably just as all over it as they can possibly be. If nothing else, these people are writing an incredibly self-aware show and they haven't let me down yet. Wherever they choose to take it I'm still all in Day 1

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm confident that different flavors of this conversation have probably dominated the Bojack Horseman writer's room for the last year and they are probably just as all over it as they can possibly be. If nothing else, these people are writing an incredibly self-aware show and they haven't let me down yet. Wherever they choose to take it I'm still all in Day 1

Yeah, just because I don't think it's a good idea doesn't mean they can't do it and make it good. They're way better at thinking of ideas and stories than I am. :downs:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bust Rodd posted:

making sexual advances on a drunk, underage girl?

He didn't make any advances, she wasn't drunk and she wasn't under age.

I totally agree that Bojack's actions were deplorable but holy poo poo, you're making your position look bad by getting every objective fact wrong.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

counterfeitsaint posted:

He didn't make any advances, she wasn't drunk and she wasn't under age.

I totally agree that Bojack's actions were deplorable but holy poo poo, you're making your position look bad by getting every objective fact wrong.

He bought her and her friends alcohol and also she’s 17 and he’s a 50 year celebrity, sorry, but if you don’t think leaving the door open was a calculated invitation you are posting from Denial, Egypt

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Bust Rodd posted:

He bought her and her friends alcohol and also she’s 17 and he’s a 50 year celebrity, sorry, but if you don’t think leaving the door open was a calculated invitation you are posting from Denial, Egypt

Penny wasn't drinking alcohol, she even points out that fact when trying to convince Bojack to sleep with her. I think he left the door open because he was too tired and depressed to do anything other then let events play out, as a 50 year old man it's entirely on him to shut things down and not doing so is a disgusting moral failure. However, saying that not locking someone out of your room constitutes a sexual advance is a bit of a stretch.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not trying to single you out specifically, there have been a number of other posters suggest similar ideas, but it is absolutely a terrible idea to for the show to depict a male character do something innocent that gets misinterpreted, and then being wrongly accused by the #metoo movement. Responding to #metoo, a cultural movement about systematic sexual assault that has been going on for decades should not be, "What about all the innocent men who are wrongly accused of rape."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I understand that some people would be very disappointed if they did anything besides the very straight take on it, but the gun control episode from last season has shown that they won’t always take the the right side of an issue. Remember how quickly everyone decided to use the mall shooting to their advantage?

I’d be more interested in the “insider take on #metoo and how people are trying to abuse it” than a simple story about Bojack’s chicken’s coming home to roost.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Bust Rodd posted:

I understand that some people would be very disappointed if they did anything besides the very straight take on it, but the gun control episode from last season has shown that they won’t always take the the right side of an issue. Remember how quickly everyone decided to use the mall shooting to their advantage?

I’d be more interested in the “insider take on #metoo and how people are trying to abuse it” than a simple story about Bojack’s chicken’s coming home to roost.

The biggest issue is that people used the excuse of "Someone is accusing me of sexually inappropriate behavior for personal revenge" was one of the more common ways that perpetrators would try and discredit their accusers, so then using that exact same narrative here would only play into a paranoia fostered by those who used their position to assault women.

And do you really think that there are THAT many people trying to abuse the fact women are more likely to be believed when they accuse someone, instead of just being dismissed as it used to be?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m just saying there are many different ways they could take this, with any/none/ALL of their characters, and in a vacuum I guess I’d rather them not ignore the elephant in the room than ignore it, but I’m not convinced the only good #metoo plotlines are “Everything catches up to Bojack” or “Mr. PB is a serial rapist, Surprise!” (The second one is a terrible idea, IMO, and the entire series up until now how pretty much revolved around Bojack’s sexual misconduct and all of his issues revolving around women because his mother destroyed his ability to feel self-worth or value the feelings of others).

I’m a fan of the show, first and foremost, and its politics take a backseat to its drama, and I’d be really surprised if they tried to turn this show into having a message all of a sudden, it would feel cheap to do that, and I agree with Pick, it would date the show in a very real way, which the other seasons manage to avoid quite deftly even while having all these period jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Lisa Hanawalt has a new Netflix show based on her cartoons!

https://www.avclub.com/tiffany-haddish-to-star-in-tuca-bertie-a-new-animate-1823171996